DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just a thought

firstfishman

I have been wondering about Taramongaidon and the fact that "it wont be fought in the way Rand thinks".

Maybe fought in the world of dreams? That way the DO's prison would be sealed in all of the worlds that we saw being touched via the portal stones. If the DO is free in one world, is he really defeated?

The heros of legend are there, the dead wolves are there.... How else would Hopper be able to fight at the last battle?

Thoughts?

Possible, however, i interpreted that as meaning that it wont be just a big battle, but a moral/philisophical thing like that. Not just blast the crap out of the DO. (like him spreading chaos instead of just invade with a crapload of trollocs and stuff.)

So IMO it doesnt mean it will be fought in a different PLACE, but in a different WAY.

But thats just my thought on it, as far as I know you are prefetly right.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Barid. Verin was referring more to Rand's belief that this will be a direct power struggle of military forces culminating in a fight between himself and the Dark One. I think she was suggesting more than just a confrontation between light and dark is ocurring, that the battle is being fought in other ways than just fighting.

Luckers said: ''I'm seeing it as a battle for Rand's soul rather than one of armies, though that will likely be present as well.''

...Isn't that kind of what VOG was?

Fish

Yup, it was. But I don't really believe it invalidates my comment. I kinda think TG was already won when Rand had his epiphany, even if the fighting hadn't even started yet. Now it's just a case of doing what's necessary. The important thing was Rand's realization though.

I think TG has been going on since The Eye of the World, but the Light's been entirely on the defense and unaware due to their belief it meant a real physical war. I think the Dark One's goal is to cause so much chaos in the world that it offsets the balance between good and bad and breaks the Wheel of Time. That is why the Dragon is tied with the land and changes sides (the Fisher King idea).

The Dark One's forces could cause chaos on their own but that won't do much regarding the world itself. The Dragon is a wild card thrown into the mix, if the Light has it things are going to remain balanced properly but the farther towards the Dark he goes, the easier it'll be for the Dark to win. We see all through the series that as Rand's madness progresses the world enters greater chaos. The Dark One literally said "Let the Lord of Chaos rule."

It was said somewhere in the series that the Dragon was not required in order to win TG but without him it would be next to impossible. It was also suggested.. somewhere, that the Dark One would need to turn the Dragon or beat him in order to win. When the Dragon is of sound mind the land is healthy and order can be established, but when he grows dark there is famine, riots and war. Just enough there to offset the balance. Everything the forsaken have worked towards was progressing Rand's madness and turning him. Until Veins of Gold it's been an absolutely successful tactic.

So I believe that for Rand to "fight" TG he simply needs to keep his sanity and promote law and order. I don't know how that works in with defeating the Dark One and undrilling the Bore, though.

Archived