DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"Sammael's" Manor Attack KoD

So, we all know about the attack on the Manor Rand is staying at in KoD, and how Moridin says that Sammael or somebody impersonating Sammael sent Trollocs through the ways.

I have just come across something that gave me an idea. From  what we see of Taim's "Palace" in the Black Tower, he has effected Sammael's own sigil.

Could it be that he sent the Trollocs?

He would be the most likely to know where Rand was staying of all of the Shadow. It happened after Logain and his people turned up, a close thing, and they mention if Logain hadnt turned up so timely they would have been toast. With such timing, could it not be that as soon as Logain arrived, Taim's "spy" sent word.

Now I am not suggesting Logain is in on this, he obviously isnt IMO, but what if Taim has one of his lackeys with Logain, or even one of the original Asha'man (light forbid!) has kept Taim updated.

I am not sure about the how and what not of Taim's abilities to use the Ways and suchlike, and I really dont think that the whole discussion of how he could have is releveant, we dont realy know enough of Taim's status among the Shadow, or if he is smart/crafty enough to impersonate Sammael, hell, we dont even know for sure if he is a DF (I say, not completely sure! Even though the evidence is overwhelming)

So, thoughts on the subject? If you can prove (I say prove, not based on hapstance or what is "likely") and can shoot a hole in it, please by all means do, I am not really convinced myself, but I would appreciate if the theory was argued against from evidence, not because of what "could" or is "most likely".

SO basically, I want to know if it is possible, and if not, did I miss something?

I can't poke holes in the core of your theory, though clearly it requires that Taim would've been granted the Chosen Mark (which is possible, but I imagine Moridin would know if it should it happen).

What I can argue with is the connection to Logain's arrival. Since we're talking manner of hours, there can be no connection to the attack - it would take A LOT more time to mobilize that many trollocs to a specific location (remember Traveling isn't an option, and the Ways simply don't allow for those time constants).

This is of course assuming the Shadow doesn't have hundreds of thousands of trollocs hidden away at most every location in Randland (remember Algarin's manor is rather secluded). If they do have those resources, then all bets are off.

Isn't the sigil in Taim's place made from a different metal than Sammael's, also wasn't that Be'lal's sigil also and again it was a different material used. Also if he isn't a forsaken he doesn't have the chosen mark that insures obedience and compliance in shadowspawn. Also for Taim to impersonate Sammael he would need to know what his appearance and I can't recall any hints from the POV's of either guy that would indicate a meeting between the two.

In saying all that its a blunt enough tactic for Taim to use. Again though it does seem like something Sammael would do also. I can't remember if he sent the trollocs, Draghkar and the guys with the bees on their uniforms against Rand when he was coming back from the waste or if it was someone trying to make it appear like Sammael. Anyway if that was Sammael that time, it would fit his past tactics against Rand. So maybe whoever sent the trollocs this time knows what Sammael looks and has knowledge of his tactics and has some way of locating Rand.

Doesn't that really only leave the forsaken. And out of the forsaken who can locate Rand by using his tavernness(?) pulling on the pattern and would like Rand to die and would be forced to use trollocs even though the chance of success would be slim. I think it could of been Lanfear/Cydane.

By the way there is already a thread about the attack on Rand at the manor and Luckers (I think) had some really good points and theories.

I can't poke holes in the core of your theory, though clearly it requires that Taim would've been granted the Chosen Mark (which is possible, but I imagine Moridin would know if it should it happen).

What I can argue with is the connection to Logain's arrival. Since we're talking manner of hours, there can be no connection to the attack - it would take A LOT more time to mobilize that many trollocs to a specific location (remember Traveling isn't an option, and the Ways simply don't allow for those time constants).

This is of course assuming the Shadow doesn't have hundreds of thousands of trollocs hidden away at most every location in Randland (remember Algarin's manor is rather secluded). If they do have those resources, then all bets are off.

yes, i agree, i wasnt exactly sure the time period frm Logain's arrival, so that part of the theory is pretty much out. (Unless of course, Taim was prepared and had the Trolloc's waiting for word, which i doubt is likely, and unprovable so really usless in this case.)

As I said, I am not really convinced, its based on a tenuous connection between Sammael and Taim, although it does seem Taim manages to turn up where Rand is at the "right" or "wrong" times (Dumai Wells. A Cup of Sleep, his first appearance.)

I just read my original post, and it is kinda unclear.

What I mean by actually proving it and that whole thing, I dont mean to say that other posters arnt allowed their opinion, and i welcome those contray to this. What I meant was it is I would rather, if someone is going to shoot holes through it, being the main purpose, not to say something like "...its obviously not true because Taim isnt likely to do that...." Or something.

So I apologise if any misunderstood that.

Other theories regarding the attack and the "false Sammael" - Yes

Purposely trying to argue against it without facts - No

Archived