DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Moiraine be

Lambada

I wonder if their will be a "Gandalf" moment where she re-appears and there is confusion as to who she is, whether she's good or evil and then a big reveal. Both characters were big influential magic wielders who were lost early and not expected to return. So is there a LOTR nod coming up?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if their will be a "Gandalf" moment where she re-appears and there is confusion as to who she is, whether she's good or evil and then a big reveal. Both characters were big influential magic wielders who were lost early and not expected to return. So is there a LOTR nod coming up?

nah... Seems most of the LotR's links were in the first book, just to give the reader a feel for the universe. (Orcs=trollocs, nazgul=myyrdraal, Aragorn, that does not want to be a king = Lan Mandragon the King without a country, who does not want to be a king. Lan Mandragon and Aragorn also reads somewhat similar)

Moiraine definitely still has some major role to play since Min's viewings seem to imply that they cannot win the LB without her.

In my book this would also seem to imply that she has to somehow be involved in the process of sealing the DO. Whether this means that she also has to be able to channel I don't know, but I would believe so.

Setalle Anan is a major foreshadowing that burnout can be healed but is different from stilling. Why else would she befriend the Seanchan empress and thereby making the revelation that she can channel into the key reason why Fortuona will accept channelers as humans and not wild beasts.

If she is going to be healed in the forthcoming book, I will presume that Moirane is therefore burned out and percieved unable to be healed until Setalle goes Saidar again.

I think Moraine is going to do something shocking when she comes back, by harming Rand or Cadsuane (god I hope so). Either that or she is going to have some kind of big reveal that is going to change everything our characters currently know about the last battle.

Since Moraine went to Finnland through the red doorway, I wonder if she got her 3 wishes. I wonder what they were and the price that had to be paid. I'm curious to see if Moraine managed to cheat dying (it's pretty obvious she did/will from the letter and that RJ wouldn't make us wait 15 years only to have her be dead, not to mention Min's viewing). I want to see the price she had to pay or if she even used any of her 3 wishes to the foxes.

Will Mat & Thom SEE Moraine again? Yes, I think that's a given.

Will she actually re-emerge from the Tower herself? I'm not so sure. I think there's a chance that Moraine is now a permanent resident of the Tower, maybe even transformed into a Aelfinn herself.

Going along those lines, I suggest that the reason Mat & Thom need to find Moraine is not to rescue her at all. Rather, I suggest that the reason is for her to reveal some key fact known to the Finns which they will need in winning the Last Battle.

They're not wishes - they're "bargains". Moot point if the foxes would bargain with somebody who was instrumental in burning down their door - she may be breaking their injunction against fire.

I think Cyndane's lower strength (suggesting Lanfear was burnt out and needed healing-transmigration) and Lan's bond breaking are, taken together, pretty clear hints Moiraine was also burnt out.

I doubt that she'd write about "rescue" and "death" with such emphasis if all she wanted was that Thom, Mat +1 dropped in for a chat.

I think Moiraine was stilled, not burnt out.

I also think Moiraines return will be nothing at all like her previous role, Rand is past the point of needing mentors. I think that Rand is still vulnerable to Moridins personality coming through, and that even though this is relatively less likely to happen after VoG, it WILL happen again, which means the Shadow do still have a viable chance of the uber win. The Shadows next move, I think, will be to get at Rand through the Warder bonds, Alanna suddenly becomes very important-she becomes a weapon for the Forsaken to use against Rand and once more tamper with his sanity, which after TGS we know can do a lot. Like make him a Dark Ta'veren again. Moiraine must come back and help Rand fight Ishamael simply by making Alanna pass her bond, then Moiraine will school her thoughts so she influences Rands personality through the bond, she would feel when he goes all dark and she would counter it simply by schooling her thoughts, like "Oh I love that Thom with his white moustache and his limp and whatnot, the sexy bugger." At Rands end, in theory, he would feel this through the bond even in his emotionless True Power void, and then begin to act like himself and not Moridin, because once again he was remembering love, love getting through to the Rand-side of the personality crossover.

Thats my theory. Rand doesnt even need to know she has returned, she just needs to get Alannas bond in time before the Forsaken kill her, because Moiraine cant exactly get one of the bonds from Min Aviendha or Elayne, that would be crossing one line too many.

Archived