DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Moiraine be

Lambada

Burned out or stilled?

Seeing as one thread almost got entirely de-railed into this question I figured I'd make a new one.

Honestly: I think both Lanfear and Moiraine were Burned out when they went through the door.

Why? We've had a very specific warning about this right back in TGH. When Nynaeve channels during her Accepted testing. Once she emerges the first time an Aes Sedai (Sheriam?) tells her she shouldn't be able to, and should not when she goes back through the next two times. She recounts how when they first found the ter'angreal anyone who went through it whilst channeling always emerged burned out, unable to even sense the source. In addition, Nynaeve channeled fine in the testing whilst in the ter'angreal, as did Rand when he went through the doorway in Tear.

The accepted ter'angreal is one of the few you have to walk through and appears very closely related to the doorways - at least in when it is safe to channel.

Whether Moiraine still is, is another question.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very likely she was stilled, although at this point it doesn't matter much as long as she's healed by a man and not a women, everything will be fine.  It will affect the escape if she can't channel

Well, I'd vote for burned out.

But I don't see any way Moiraine wouldn't do everything she could to beat the DO. If she sees a way to channel again, she'll take it.

Remember, you give up after you're dead.

She's been preparing for TG for her whole adult life, she'll be healed. Plus, she knows she'll have more influence with AS (would could help Rand) if she is whole.

I honestly don't want to hazard a guess on this one. There are too many possibilities to consider and too little evidence.

Well we know she has gone through a doorway before without severing her Warder bond. We know that there are other doorways to the world of the Finns besides the one that exploded. Yet, the bond was severed. This is strong evidence that she was indeed stilled or burned out.

My vote is she is stilled. Will be healed. And will likely bond Thom. As much as she may want to be done with being Aes Sedai, I don't think her sense of duty will let her in the current situation.

it's very possible that she will be either burned out or stilled, but she still may be able to channel.  Lanfear was drawing heavily through that angreal when moiraine wrenched it from her, its possible that was the cause of her stilling/burn out.  Rand channelled in the other doorway, so its possible moiraine can channel in there. 

That said she was most likely stilled by the Finns after the doorway was cut, if they have the power.

I think neither. Lan lost his connection to her at the exact moment the doorway was done melting. It wasn't as she clawed the bracelet off or the moment she entered. So I think it was an affect of the door being destroyed. People argue that the connection wasn't lost in Tear, but the door was still there.

Anyway, the whole point of the ter'angreal was

a) to lure Lanfear onto the wagon bed and

b) to make sure the doorway was destroyed, so she couldn't just pop back out

So I think it was an affect of the door being destroyed. People argue that the connection wasn't lost in Tear, but the door was still there.

I agree with this. In Tear, the doorway is open the entire time. In the wagons, it was slammed shut (effectively) cutting the connection without a way to reestablish it.

I would think that gateways don't cause the problem because you're in the Pattern the entire time ... is the Skimming zone part of the Pattern?

Does it make a difference whether she can still channel/ be healed/ not?

Her value to Rand is not because of her channelling ability. Another channeler on his side, more or less, is not going to change the odds for him.

Moiraine is key because of what she knows, has learnt, and can find out.

Speaking personally, I suspect she won't be able to channel - no reason other than that it would balance the relationship with Thom.

No reason why she wouldn't feature a lot without meeting Rand.

Mat and Perrin have.

I'll rephrase :P

I want as much Mo & Rand as possible.

and Perrin annoys me. I hope he trips on his way to visit Rand and has to spend some time in the Lugard hospital.

Archived