DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Sharan in Tear

Fains nose

I’ve seen mention on the forums of the Seanchan guy in Tear in Knife of Dreams, but is interesting that just before him, we see what seems like a Sharan, on screen for the first time:

Knife of Dreams page 446 ‘Within The Stone’

SHARAN GUY

“A very dark fellow with tightly curled hair, at a square table beside the door, seemed not to notice the Maidens at all. Rand took him for one of the Sea Folk at first, though he wore a peculiar coat without collars or lapels, once white but now stained and wrinkled. ‘I tell you, I have many, many of the… the worms that make… yes, make… silk on a ship,’ he said in haltingly in an odd, musical accent. ‘But I must have the… the… andberry… yes, andberry leaves to feed them. We will be rich.’

His companion waved a plump, dismissive hand even while staring at the Maidens. ‘Worms?’ he said absently. ‘Everybody knows silk grows on trees.’”

SEANCHAN GUY

“‘It is worms that make silk, friend,’ a man drawled behind him. ‘My eyes on it’

At that familiar accent, Rand spun to find Alivia staring, wide-eyed and her face bloodless, at a man in a dark coat who was just passing through the doorway into the street… What was a Seanchan doing in Tear?”

Even though we don’t know what Sharans look or sound like, I think the guy in the peculiar coat and the musical accent and the knowledge of silk, is definitely a Sharan. It’s interesting because we have heard a fair bit about Shara throught the books and this is the first time we have seen one on screen, and there has been discussion on the forums about the Seanchan guy who appears a few paragraphs later and what his presence means, but as far as ive seen no one has even noticed the Sharan. Maybe he’s fled Shara because of civil disorder after Demandred’s takeover? (smily face) I think his appearance indicates some Sharan involvement in the next couple of books. Significant?/Insignificant?

(as ive writen this I just remembered I think Graendal had a couple of Sharans in her collection of pretties)

• 4 weeks later...

yes, i agree with all the posts, the only way i can see Sharans comming into the story in a big way is if they randomly march west, like the Seanchan, and bring armies to fight at TG. However, I also think that it is world building on RJ's part, one of the most exciting things i find is vague mentions of distant lands and such that dont actually come into the main series, but are something that you can explore through the BWB etc..

Archived