DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Herid Fel/The Bore/The Wheel

Elder haman

Hi all!

I'm new here so if this has been discussed I apologize

Something doesn't quite add up for me concerning Herid Fel and Rand's conversations (5th or 6th book)

Fel said that by the time the Age of Legends (2nd Age I think?) comes back around the Dark One's prison has to be whole again, the way the Creator made it.

He then says that man cannot replicate the Creator's work.

So how on earth (or Randland, Seanchan or w/e) is the prison supposed to be whole again? Unless the Creator takes a hand, which he said he wouldn't in the first book (assuming that was his voice at the end), there's no way for the Bore to be properly resealed is there?

Unless Fel was wrong I suppose...

If there's a simple answer to this then great. If not, thoughts?

I think the Dark One was trapped in a Void in the Pattern. I think the Bore is a flaw on existence that will eventually let the Dark One get into the world, and Herid Fels point was that this flaw on reality needs to be fully repaired by the next turning, which tells Rand he basically has to bring it all back to square 1 again. Rand now knows he cant do a patchup job-his has to be a full job, not to put a plug in the hole that is the Bore, but to actually remove the Bore completely.

He then says that man cannot replicate the Creator's work

I dont think Rand can legally be put anywhere in that. Is he a normal man? Id say no, he is one with the land, and I imagine that to mean he is one with the Pattern. No man can replicate the Creators work, but then again, exactly what is the Dragon Reborn? A man? Barely, in my oppinion.

I dont think Rand can legally be put anywhere in that. Is he a normal man? Id say no, he is one with the land, and I imagine that to mean he is one with the Pattern. No man can replicate the Creators work, but then again, exactly what is the Dragon Reborn? A man? Barely, in my oppinion.

It's been said in the books that the Dragon isn't required to fight in the Last Battle, just if he doesn't it'll be nearly impossible for the Light to win. This implies Rand can do something easier than the next guy, but that the next guy can still do it.

It's been said in the books that the Dragon isn't required to fight in the Last Battle, just if he doesn't it'll be nearly impossible for the Light to win. This implies Rand can do something easier than the next guy, but that the next guy can still do it.

Could another mans health affect the state of the land?

Perhaps the "The Bore" is a misnomer. In TSR we see the Collan Dam before "The Bore". Rand's ancestor thinks, "today is the day that they tap into the new power." He then see the Collan Dam crack and black fire shoot out of it.

Now we are told that Shayol Ghul was once a beautiful tropical island. Now it is located in a sub-arctic desert. Meaning the thinness did not manifest where the drilling was done. Unless, of course the Collan Dam was on that island.

I think that "the bore" is a man made bridge, linking the DO's prison to the world. LTT tried to put a gate or block on that bridge, but the bridge still exsisted. The bridge needs to be removed recreating the Creators work by removing mans interference.

One thing to chew on:

All the names of important stuff in Randland are based upon real life important things - and some are "puns" or plays on the words upon which they are based.

"Collan" may be a misspelling of "Collum" which means, "neck" or "cervix"... a narrowing.  Imagine, if you will, a patch on a bleeding wound to the neck.  However, in botanical circles, it has the definition of "collar."  Alternatively, it may be a derivative of "Collen/Collin" which is in turn a Gaelic derivative of "Nicolas" - which means "Victorious/Victor (read: winner)/Ruler (read: HEAD)".

Thus far we have head and neck...

Then, getting silly, we could reach for "colon" which is at the other side of the anatomy - and just as dangerous if it is uncontrollably leaking.

Anyway - to this "hole", we apply a patch - a "collan dam" and, voila!! We have the name of the "leaky place" that the DO is based.

Using the symbolizm that is so rampant... we have what is described as a "weak spot" in the prison in which the DO is stuck.  Playing the game of definitions - we potentially have a COLLAR around the NECK of the DO, which was in an idyllic island paradise (Garden of Eden, anyone?).  When the hole is drilled in the island, black fire shoots out, just like a gout of blood from a neck wound.  Isn't it amazing that Shayol Gul means "Place/Mountain of Skulls"?

Add to this the name of the place that Jesus was crucified (died/spilled his blood to save us all) was called "The Place of the Skull/Skulls.

Don't forget that the angel that Satan originated was supposed to be gloriously beautiful.  By tradition, after being thrown down to hell, he became horribly twisted and ugly due to his hatred and jealously - but could still appear beautiful when he wanted.

So - here's a thought...

The DO is imprisoned in the EARTH - the physical ground - and just his head is sticking up above the ground.  For the longest time he appeared gloriously beautiful - but as his true nature is becoming more apparent, his face is showing it's true nature... Shayol Gul.

Or... I may be REALLY reading too far into this!  :D ;D :D

Archived