DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

75 chapters?!?!?! (The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson)

ravenfier

if im reading it right ToM will be 75 ch long with 2 prologs, a epolog and and end note.

thats is if im reading it right lol. wow BIG Book.

The book under discussion in this thread is THE WAY OF KINGS, by Brandon Sanderson. It will be available on Aug. 17th. --Jennifer

It is about The Way of Kings by the way. I'm pretty sure he was joking about there being two prologues since he says there are three appendixes as well.
What makes you think that's a joke? I know of books with more than one prologue (The Darkness That Comes Before springs immediately to mind), and of books with more than one appendix (Lord of the Rings being a notable example. I know, I'm always making such obscure references). Also, the plural of appendix is appendices. I realiise you're not alone in making that mistake *looks with disappointment at Bandon's "tweets".

Chapter 56 had a lot of redundant language that needed to be cut.
So does twitter. I pity the poor fool who gets tasked with editing that.

Well that's odd, spellcheck didn't pick up on it... Are you British perhaps? Or maybe I'm British? What if my life is a lie? This isn't Virginia! It was Earth all along you dirty apes!

Do you mind explaining the need for two prologues?

Well that's odd, spellcheck didn't pick up on it... Are you British perhaps? Or maybe I'm British? What if my life is a lie? This isn't Virginia! It was Earth all along you dirty apes!

And it's "You damned DIRTY APES!" Still an excellent comment.

And as to the 2 prologues, well I have to have one for me and my invisible monkey friend JoJo, who can miraculously read! That's right I said it, A READIN' MONKEY!

My bad, it's been a very long time...

We should probably stop dragging this thread out since it's been answered. Or not.  :P

I'd still kind of like to know the purpose of the dual prologues.  I mean, it's not like any prologues in the previous books have any single connecting theme that dictates it all belongs together.  They all serve as story excepts from various other places, and for the most part, they've been the longest chapters in each book since tFoH.  Heck, the prologue for WH is over 10K words, and I think CoT's prologue is even longer.  And any given chapter might involve multiple POVs, as long as they're around the same events, which we've seen.

Don't know why you'd need two prologues, given the format we're use to for them.

We should probably stop dragging this thread out since it's been answered. Or not.  :P

I'd still kind of like to know the purpose of the dual prologues.  I mean, it's not like any prologues in the previous books have any single connecting theme that dictates it all belongs together.  They all serve as story excepts from various other places, and for the most part, they've been the longest chapters in each book since tFoH.  Heck, the prologue for WH is over 10K words, and I think CoT's prologue is even longer.  And any given chapter might involve multiple POVs, as long as they're around the same events, which we've seen.

Don't know why you'd need two prologues, given the format we're use to for them.

I thought we said the tweets were about Brandon's The Way of Kings for the two prologues... and as I haven't read that and don't know how long Brandon makes prologues for his books, two prologues might make sense for that style.

I thought we said the tweets were about Brandon's The Way of Kings for the two prologues... and as I haven't read that and don't know how long Brandon makes prologues for his books, two prologues might make sense for that style.

We also need to take into consideration, that he might be joking about the prologues. The 75 chapters, probably not but the other stuff maybe. Just an opinion.

Well that's odd, spellcheck didn't pick up on it... Are you British perhaps?
Very much so. I say, what what, stiff upper lip, tally ho, and all that.
Well, as the jokes have already been done, you might as well get a serious answer *waits for people to fall over from the shock* You use them to set up different things, perhaps set in different times, or with different POVs -  for example, the aforementioned Darkness That Comes Before has Prologue 1 set during the First Apocalypse, and show the Dunyain coming to Ishual, where they would make their home for the next thousand years. Prologue 2 is set in the present of the series, and sees Kellhus leaving Ishual on his mission, his first encounter with a worldborn man and sorcery.

We also need to take into consideration, that he might be joking about the prologues. The 75 chapters, probably not but the other stuff maybe. Just an opinion.
As a joke, it doesn't really work. "Hey, here's some plausible information about my book that you have no reason to disbelieve - it's about 400,000 words long.....Only kidding, it's actually 350,000." It doesn't really have any point if meant as a joke. Unless Brandon's really bad with humour. *Reads the Mat sections of TGS* Yes, it's a joke.

One Prologue to seek them, One Prolgue to bind them in the dark, One Prolgue to Rule them all. Oh wait sorry lol.

I think one is for the Series as a whole and the other will be for the first book of said Series.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the First Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a prologue was written. The prologue was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning--but as such, there could be a second.

• 1 month later...

It is about The Way of Kings by the way. I'm pretty sure he was joking about there being two prologues since he says there are three appendixes as well.

I'm not sure why this would be considered a joke either. THE LORD OF THE RINGS has SIX appendices, for example.

I was going to make a comment on the length of the chapters but you've already discovered its 400,000 words, so my guess is it will be normal length chapters. I'm thinking of Dan Brown as I say this because his books change chapters every 5 pages, i think the Da Vinci code had 100+ chapters and it was only 300 something pages, insanly frustrating. 400,000 words though, ITs going to be a massive book, you will deffenitly need a table to hold the book while you read it, the hardcover will prob weigh the same as a classic beetle.

Archived