DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files or Codex Alera

Crossroad

Enjoyed the Dreseden file Tv series, which I thought was way better than LOTS Sword of Truth TV series but they can it.  I decided to go look at the books and found they had done the same as they'd done with LOTS taken some of the good parts of the books and built a tv show around totally butching (excuss the pun)the books.

The Dresden files I liked because its mostly in First person, we done go off looking at what so and so is doing and then come back to the main character 2 or 3 chapters later.  Its all done from the main characters point of view, my kind of book.

The Codex Alera does not follow in the same format as Dresden files, but it didn't loose a main character for a whole book Perrin in Fires of Heaven and Mat in TDoP.  It does have a look at the story as it unfolds from each of the main characters besides Tavi but I enjoyed them. 

The woman in these series are strong good characters like Murphy, Mab, Charity, Gard, Molly, Lara all great in Dresden.  In Codex Alera u have Kitai, Invidia, the Vord Queens, Amara, Isana.

I hoping to read more books along this line but have stuck with WoT because it was the first Fantasy book I pick up and read.

If you haven't read anything by Jim take a look at Storm Front or Furies of Calderon.

I've read the Dresden Files, as far as Small Favour (will probably start Turn Coat when I'm done with Hero of Ages). They're very enjoyable. The "Likest thou jelly within thy doughnut?" line got a laugh out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read the complete Codex Alera and two Dresden. Personally I prefer codex, but I think it's a bit biased since I have read more Codex.

If you have only read up to <em>Fool Moon</em> I will tell you something.  <em>Fool Moon</em> was the weakest and least relevant book in the series.  There were a few important things but not a lot.  <em>Grave Peril</em> is were the series truly takes off.

FullMoon becomes very important down the line.If I remeber right this is the one the wolves first appear right..And I beleave this last book of codex Alera was the last in his series...

The Alphas were one of the few important things in Fool Moon.  Then there was Dark Side Harry and his leather coat.  Those three are about it.

Here you go,Jim Butcher fans

"We are delighted to announce a project fans have long been clamoring for: Side Jobs, a compilation of Dresden Files short stories. Slated for November 11th, this anthology brings together the following stories:

"Restoration of Faith"

"Vignette"

"Something Borrowed" -- from My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding

"It's My Birthday Too" -- from Many Bloody Returns

"Heorot" -- from My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon

"Day Off" -- from Blood Lite

Backup -- novelette from Thomas' POV, originally published by Subterranean Press

The Warrior -- novelette from Mean Streets

"Last Call" -- from Strange Brew

"Love Hurts" -- from Songs of Love and Death

And exclusive, all-new material!

And the Alpahs play bigger parts down te line also

I am a Dresden Files junkie. I love the series. I have all the case file books. Waiting for book 12 Changes. It releases April 6 I have it pre-ordered from Amazon. The only short story i have is from Mean Street (The Warrior). I was going to purchase the others, but I am going to wait on the compilation this fall.

Waiting for book 12 Changes. It releases April 6 I have it pre-ordered from Amazon.
I just bought my copy today. Yes, I am saying this purely to rub it in the faces of those of you who have yet to get it. *Evil laugh*

I just bought my copy today. Yes, I am saying this purely to rub it in the faces of those of you who have yet to get it. *Evil laugh*
You are EVIL!!
More so than you realise. I just finished it this morning (I know, should have been done yesterday, but too many distractions), and am currently contemplating just how many spoilers to give y'all. The title is certainly appropriate. The book doesn't disappoint. It ends with quite the cliffhanger, and it will be interesting to see where the series goes from here. Some major dangling plot threads from earlier are tied up. I think that's enough to whet your appetite.

By Cliffhanger are you talking about end of Grave Peril type cliff hanger, or end of CoS type cliffhanger?

Basically is Dresden commenting about how scary and dangerous things have just gotten or is more like he was captured by the Red Court or White Council and is awaiting his trial/execution?

Wondering because the books are about a year apart in the Dresden time line. 

More like the latter, an immediate situation rather than just commenting on things. By the way, what is your theory on Cowl?

Short answer, Justin DuMorne and Elaine is Kumori.

Long Answer:

So Warden DuMorne took part in the WC's final assault of Kemller(?). DuMorne then saw the necromancer's skull lab assistant spirit and made a switch right before it was destroyed.

In the years that followed, before he adopted Harry and Elaine, originally out of curiosity, he started to ask the skull questions about necromancy and something similar to what happened in <em>Dead Beat</em> happened to him.

He started getting involved with questionable persons and at some time learned Maggie "le Fey" had a son.  She died in childbirth and the father, Malcolm Dresden, was not a wizard, but the boy would be.

So he decided to start raising his own "Heirs of DuMorne" by getting them early and teaching them everything he knows about magic.  Using an Entrophy curse to kill Malcolm Dresden and adopts Harry after he learned where he was.

When Harry defeated him at 16 and killed him a "contingency plan" he had in place went into effect, something similar to the cockroach spell Kemller so he wouldn't stay dead.

So Harry thinks DuMorne is dead.  Elaine shows up and when Harry starts asking questions she puts on the "oh poor me, a woman" act (check it, it's in both <em>Summer Knight</em> and <em>White Night</em>) to get Harry's chivalry going and he backs off.

She was awfully close to the Summer Lady when she went crazy.

Now back to Cowl.  Cowl and his apprentice don't like Kemller but the darkhollow is a way to get what they need.  Cowl seems to be someone who believes in the WC's mission statement of protecting the mortals but doesn't have a need for the 7 laws.  Their attitude was summed up nicely by Kumori's speech in <em>Dead Beat</em>.

And finally, at the time of <em>Dead Beat</em> aside from Harry only three (maybe four) other people knew about Bob's existence.  Two of them where Thomas and Butters who were caught in the thick of the fight, and Micheal Carpenter who wouldn't go blabbing his best friend's secrets to anyone, especially not some dark shadowy wizard.

But Cowl and Kumori knew he had the skull and recognized it right away.  How would Cowl know about the skull, Harry's most well kept secret, if he was DuMorne? 

Archived