DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fast and Furious 5

Krakalakachkn

Fast and the Furious 5 is going to be called Fast Five and according to Vin Diesel, at least part of the film is going to take place in Brazil.  The reason we know the location….Vin Diesel posted an update on his Facebook page tonight.  He wrote:

"Had a meeting with Justin Lin today regarding the Fast saga… some daring but fascinating thoughts in terms of action set pieces… and relationships, old and new.  The team is on their way to Brazil this evening, to scout, and to see what selection of cars there are."

While some might wonder why a 5th film is going to get made, I can give you $343 million reasons.  That’s the amount the last sequel pulled in at the worldwide box office, and with a reported budget of $100 million, it was a very profitable movie.  With Justin Lin location scouting in Brazil, I’d imagine they’ll be shooting in the next few months.  Expect updates as we get them.  Fast Five is scheduled to be released June 10, 2011.

• 2 months later...

The Rock joins the cast

Dwayne Johnson is in talks to join the 'Fast and the Furious' franchise in "Fast Five" for Universal Pictures reports Deadline.

Johnson would take a starring role opposite Vin Diesel and Paul Walker who will return for this fifth installment. It sounds like Johnson will be leading the FBI team in pursuit of both Diesel and Walker's characters who're now on the run.

The Justin Lin-directed "Fast Five" hits theaters June 10th 2011.

• 11 months later...

Along with better than expected reviews, "Fast Five" has delivered much better than expected box-office and given Universal Pictures a much needed booster shot in the arm.

Indeed, 'Five' has broken records with the biggest opening for this year, the biggest opening for April, and the biggest opening for a Universal Pictures release in the United States. It snatched many similar titles as well in the U.K. and Australia.

In the U.S., the film took in $83.6 million, easily ahead of the previous film's then record opening of $71 million. Opening last week overseas, "Fast Five" scored a £5.33m opening weekend in the UK and this was despite opening on the hottest Easter weekend their in 62 years.

In Australia the film has taken in $14.5 million in its first week, ahead of "Thor" with $9.1 million (though that film opened a day later than 'Five'). In fact, despite having only opened in a few key international territories, 'Five' has raked in $81.4 million overseas thus far.

The question now is what will the burn-off rate be. 2009's "Fast and Furious" opened with $70.9 million States-side, but dropped quickly to finish with a total gross at $155 million domestically. Better reviews indicate this will likely have more longevity, and a worldwide gross that will probably climb towards (but fall short) of the half billion dollar mark.

If there's one lasting effect of this, outside of the 'Fast' franchise continuing for several more sequels, it's that the last weekend of April looks to have become the unofficial start of the Summer movie going season in the United States.

------------------------------------

Who would have thought that the fifth, the FIFTH, entry in a serious of kind of good movies would make the most money out of all of them. Also, it's hovering around an 80% score on Rotten Tomatoes, which is ridiculous for a movie like this. I might just have to see this one.

Seen it, it's good if you like the fast and furious movies.

I mean, I see them for entertainment, not story... and this one did a good job of packing a decent amount of action in, though there are some slow storylines where you can run to the bathroom lol

Saw it in IMAX but I also wipe my butt with 20's so it was no big deal lol

Could probably download it and still enjoy it (not that I'm promoting that)

• 2 weeks later...

Entertaining.

SPOILERS

But come on. They use 2 cars to pull a flat bottomed, multi-ton safe that is full of money? Then they use it to wack straight into buildings and concrete blocks and it barely fazes them?

Archived