DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Smurfs!

Krakalakachkn

Neil Patrick Harris will play the lead live-action character in the Raja Gosnell-directed film adaptation of "The Smurfs" at Sony Pictures says Deadline Hollywood.

Originally created in 1958 by Belgian cartoonist Pierre 'Peyo' Culliford, the blue skinned miniature villagers started life as a comic book, but eventually became most famous for a hit TV cartoon TV series which ran throughout the 1980's.

Jordan Kerner ("Charlotte's Web") is producing. Shooting kicks off in April while Harris is on hiatus from CBS' "How I Met Your Mother".

Loved the tv show.  I will have to watch the movie because NPH is in it.

Jonathan Winters, George Lopez, Katy Perry and Alan Cumming have all joined the cast of "The Smurfs" film for Sony Pictures says Variety.

As reported yesterday Neil Patrick Harris will play the lead live-action character. The four additions today will voice various members of the miniature blue-skinned race.

Specifically Perry as Smurfette, Alan Cumming as Gutsy Smurf and George Lopez as Grouchy Smurf. Winters, who voiced multiple characters on the original cartoon, will play Papa Smurf.

Only  human character in the Smurfs is Gargamel, and I think NPH is a tad too young for that. Which hints at hollywood once against f***s up something that would be awesome in the right hands.

Granted, NPH is so full of awesome that he could porttray Gargamel, but until I hear confirmation of such a thing, I stick to my belief that it is a character created just to satisfy a US audience who must have familiar faces in order to watch anything. Phaw!

• 5 weeks later...

So it looks like by "live action" they mean the smurfs themselves will be CGI and NPH and others will be human

With filming underway in New York City on Sony Pictures Animation's "The Smurfs", the studio has issued a press release announcing the various key roles - both the live-action humans and the voices of the computer-animated little creatures.

As previously announced Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, Sofia Vergara, and Hank Azaria will star in the human roles. Azaria will play the Smurfs' nemesis, the evil wizard Gargamel. Harris and Mays star as an expectant couple whose lives are turned upside down when the Smurfs cross over from their magical village to New York City. Vergara plays Odile, Harris's boss, a cosmetics executive.

In terms of the voices of the Smurfs themselves we have Anton Yelchin as Clumsy Smurf, Jonathan Winters as Papa Smurf, Katy Perry as Smurfette, Alan Cumming as Gutsy Smurf, "SNL's" Fred Armisen as Brainy Smurf and George Lopez as Grouchy Smurf.

Raja Gosnell helms from a script by J. David Stem & David N. Weiss and Jay Scherick & David Ronn. The film opens next August.

Only  human character in the Smurfs is Gargamel, and I think NPH is a tad too young for that. Which hints at hollywood once against f***s up something that would be awesome in the right hands.

Granted, NPH is so full of awesome that he could porttray Gargamel, but until I hear confirmation of such a thing, I stick to my belief that it is a character created just to satisfy a US audience who must have familiar faces in order to watch anything. Phaw!

Um...There was the King (can't remember his name) and he was young, Johan was young also and as for humans there was Gargamel's uncle (a powerful wizard) Pee Wee (Johan's sidekick) and several magic using friends and acquaintances of Papa Smurf.

The smurfs first comic appearance was as guess star in a Johan and Pee Wee series.

And IMDB has NPH list to play Johan.

• 3 weeks later...

The comeback of Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman) continues. He has been set to lend his voice to play "Jokey" Smurf in The Smurfs, the life-action/CGI 3D film that Raja Gosnell will direct for Sony Pictures Animation. He joins Neil Patrick Harris, George Lopez, Quentin Tarantino, Katy Perry, Alan Cumming, Sofia Vergara, Hank Azaria, Jonathan Winters, Michael Cera and Jayma Mays.

The job comes after Reubens completed a Los Angeles stage run of The Pee-wee Herman Show, reprising a character which at one time was as big with the Saturday morning kiddie crowd as The Smurfs.

Archived