DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Crossroads of Twillight

Owayn The Traveller

Ok, patience, patience is what I is needed with CoT. It is part of the series, and as such, it is more important what happens there than what would constitute a stand-off novel. None of these later books could be read without the preceding ones anyway. It's just the important crossroads.

Honestly, if you read the entire series and skipped this book, what did you miss?

You can probably still follow Perrin's plot.  You might be confused about Egwene having been captured, but that is explained very well enough at the beginning of KoD that you understand what happened.  Elayne is almost exactly in the same place you left her in WH, so nothing has really changed.

All you get from this book is how a bunch of people reacted to the saidin being cleansed.

How Perrin got his note, how Logain and Davrem and Loial ended up with Rand in the manor, Egwene getting caught, Mesanna getting punished, Alvarin getting her mark, finding out for def that Elza was black ajah, some insight into the aes sedai and asha'man border bond thing. Okay not that much really.

Why couldn't Perrin just of rescued Faile in this one and then take some of Elaynes or Mats chapters out or just cut them down a bit. The only reason Mat was in it that I can see is to have Mat. Elaynes chapters don't do much and the David Hanlon pov wasn't that necessary.

How Perrin got his note, how Logain and Davrem and Loial ended up with Rand in the manor, Egwene getting caught, Mesanna getting punished, Alvarin getting her mark, finding out for def that Elza was black ajah, some insight into the aes sedai and asha'man border bond thing. Okay not that much really.

My point exactly.  That plotting by the AS captured by the Black Tower in the prologue went absolutely nowhere.  Alviarin's being marked by the DO has added nothing at all to the story-if it's relevant later, you could just reference it having happened off-screen.  And in KoD, there's enough explanation about how Logain/Bashere end up with Rand so you're not lost.  And we know that Elza is Black from her PoV in WH with certainty.

The next time I get someone started on this series, I might even recommend they skip this entire book.

That would be stupid. The book wasn't bad, it just didn't progress the overall plot. There's no need to skip it, especially since this isn't a race.

It's like all those people speeding on a city street so they can get where they're going faster. They pass you and you pull up right next to them at every red light going down the street.

The prologue got me first time around. Didn't even get through it before I put the book aside. I read it, finally, early in the fall of 2009. After the prologue it really is one of the better books of the 6-11. Some good stuff happens and in the end I was pleased. ;)

/M

Archived