DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Captain America

Krakalakachkn

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spoilers Ahead!

Marvel's much anticipated "Captain America: The First Avenger" has begun early screenings ahead of its release in the U.S. this coming Friday. While the media is under strict embargoes to not talk about what they saw just yet, apparently the film has screened at some American military bases and some personnel there have sent in reports. The most detailed one thus far has gone up at Moviehole.

The source calls it the second best Marvel film of the Summer behind "X-Men: First Class" but ahead of "Thor", but more specifically they go into detail about "The Avengers" connections in the film - turns out the modern day-set scenes shot in Times Square are not part of the post-credits but rather within the film's narrative itself. Here's the description:

"It has Captain America waking up on a bed in a white in a room listening to a Mets baseball game and a girl that looks similar to Peggy Carter walks in to the room and he asks her “Where am I?” Realizing the baseball game he was listening to was from 1941 he gets out of the bed and two guards walk into the room and try to calm him down but he pushes them though a wall and breaks out of the room into a warehouse and runs out of the warehouse onto times square. A squad of special forces surround him then Nick Fury says “At ease solider.” He tells him they were trying to adjust him to his new area and he has been sleeping for 70 years and asks Captain America if he has some where else to be. Captain America says ”I am late for a date” (That line will make more sense when you see the movie)."

So what is post-credits? A teaser trailer for "The Avengers" it would seem. The trailer, which reportedly wasn't shown at the domestic press screenings, starts with "Chris Evans punching a bag in the gym and eventually punches the bag so hard it breaks. Nick Fury walks in and asks him “If he is having trouble sleeping and tells him he has a mission for him."

It then "shows all of the characters one by one and ends with Thor throwing his hammer". There's a brief shot of Mark Ruffalo but no sign of the Hulk, and Loki does apparently appear in one of the scenes shown.

A very spoilery description of the post-credit scene.

A new scene opened with Cap awaking in the present day. I think we all know what happens here, Cap starts to get confused and runs out in NYC where he meets NIck Fury. Now on to the post-credits scene. It starts out with Captain America punching a punching bag until it flies off into a wall, and then enters Nick Fury. They briefly talked about a mission and that they needed to get ready, but they never explained what the mission was. And then it happened. As the music kicked in, scenes of SHEILD, Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), & Loki were shown!! It showed a hell of a lot of action! Thor had a brief costume change, just no chainmail under armor and his hair was a bit longer. Iron Man was shown in what looked like the Mark VI or maybe a new Mark VII armor!! I don’t recall who was fighting who or what, but it was a lot of kick-assery!! And at the end of it all, Thor threw Minjor and then it flashed… The Avengers!

Well at first there was the Avengers themselves in what looked to be a meeting room, Thor was leaning against wall with arms crossed and Cap was sitting down, as Tony Stark and Nick Fury were most likely talking about the mission that was discussed earlier with Cap and Fury and also a shot of Bruce Banner. The action scenes were confusing but from what I remember, scenes with Iron Man flying in the air, and Hawkeye shooting an arrow, along with some explosions and Black Widow kicking ass. As for Captain America only his shield and part of his Costume was shown, so I wasn’t able to tell what suit he appeared in. The last part was in a forest, Iron Man and Thor fighting, but I couldn’t tell if it was against each other or someone or something else. And then, Thor threw his hammer, similar to the way he threw it at the Frost Giants, and then flashed “The Avengers, coming May 2012″

So...

The movie is great. Not as good as Thor IMO, but it is not far behind.

The story is very well written. We get all the important things, for example a few scenes are enough to show were Cap comes from, that it is his heart and willpower rather than bulging muscles that makes him the super soldier.

And while there obviously has to be some changes to make a comic book work as a movie, all those changes works. There is however a nod to the comic book that made me laugh quite a bit. The pacing is excellent, there are slow parts, as well as rushed parts, but I buy them because it is clear were they are going with them.

They made a great job getting the feel of the 1940s. From clothes, cars, buildings, down to colours and music. I read someone comparing the feel to the first Indiana Jones, and I am inclined to agree.

Granted, it is not a perfect movie. there are a few details I would have loved to change. But they don't affect the overall story, and are not really that big of a deal.

• 1 month later...

Out doing promotional rounds for the new indie legal drama "Puncture", actor Chris Evans says the inevitable "Captain America" sequel will likely wait until 2014.

“They may wait until 2014 until they release the next Cap. Marvel has a lot of balls in the air, they aren’t going to cannibalize their films” the actor told The Playlist.

He also confirmed he’s signed for three “Captain America“ entries and three “Avengers” films, so it's unlikely his character will pop up, even in cameos, in other Marvel films - “Out of those six films, if I pop up in one of those [other films], it counts as part of the deal. So if they needed me in a third Cap, and I say, ‘Fuck you, give me $30 million,’ well…they want to avoid that."

Marvel has already set aside May 16th 2014 and June 27th 2014 release dates for films, but hasn't yet announced what they will be.

As for his much debated about new costume in "The Avengers" which fans have been vocal about? You can blame the design on Joss Whedon it seems. “The first one was a 1940s look, very utilitarian, something that would serve a purpose on the battlefield. But in ‘The Avengers,’ Joss just had a certain vision in his mind about what he wanted Cap to look like. That’s what he wanted to see. It’s so nice working on these movies and the director’s a fan. He’s the dude at Comic-Con that we’re terrified of pissing off. If Joss is happy, I’m happy.”

Archived