DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your assistance please...

Sorry to bother, but I'm currently writing a review paper for my English 1010 class and chose as my subject, what else, The Wheel of Time.  As one of the three sources I need I hope to get some simple reviews from other die-hard fans like myself.  If anyone would be willing to submit the ONE thing they like MOST about the entire series, it would be most apreciated.  I will then choose the one I think ties in best with what I have so far, and go from there. 

May you always find Water and Shade,

Jenn Hama N'dore of the Cache Valley Sept of the Taardad Aiel. 

I would say that overall the best thing about the Wheel of Time, is the sheer vastness of the story. It covers a whole world in entirety with such detail that it almost seems real. Robert Jordan had such a mind for detail that the smallest thing was never omitted from the spectrum of it all. Jordan could write and understand characters to make them realistic and believable enough that it was like he was there and bringing you along. There were some slow parts when the plot was building up, but that didn't take away from the epic masterpiece that is the Wheel of Time.

Tried to keep it brief for ya.  ;)

I am rather a fan of the way he utilizes the tensions between the Male and Female aspects of the power, and the characters throughout the books, as sort of an underlying theme..  Perhaps better phrased, the conflicts/tensions/resolutions that amount between the masculine and feminine throughout the stories.  It is not really a theme, but then again it is.  The One Power is divided into two halves...  two haves that make a whole.  Hence the symbol of the Aes Sedai.  Even the different ways in which the one power is channeled..  Woman opening to the source like a flower, Men seizing the power and literally fighting to not be crushed by it.  To me it is poetry..

I also am a huge fan of the One Power as a concept, rather than the concept of Magic that finds it's way into all of the other books.

I also like the vastness of the series, but I also like how there are different "cultures".  Each culture has there ways and I like that.  Also the different, hmmm what would you call it, abilities of the characters, like Perrin being a wolfbrother, Mat having the old blood in him, of coarse rand being the Dragon.  Each character and culture is unique in their own way, and all act different, it makes a good story a great story. 

Thankyou all, that was exactly what I needed, and though Kadere's suggestion was not what I was looking for, I diid find it a most interesting read, so thanks ;).  So that means negative review... check, positive review from true fan... check, personal interview from intermediate fan... pending...

Archived