DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Long Road Home

Eqwina

Riding hard North, with the pale sun rising slowly in the East Kabria prayed that they would both survive this last foray towards the Blight. There had been many close calls on this journey, enough so that even Saidar did not make her feel protected as it once had. Loosening her sword in her sheath she looked towards the dark sky in front of her wondering if it was the last she would see.

It was noon of the first day when the sounds of battle reached their ears. They were miles yet from the Blight, but apparently the Trolloc raids had broken through the first defenses. Pulling up short of the battle they both stopped to discuss their plan. It was obvious by the sounds of steel ringing on steel and the absence of lightning or fire that there was no Aes Sedai with this band to help their cause. Hearing the cries of dying men made Kabria eager to rush forward, but with months of battle behind her she knew better. After only mere moments of conferring they were ready to ride.

Kabria broke West and Perivar to the East; she did not like to be separated but two people could only do so much. If they were beyond help or one vantage point proved better they would know. As Kabria rounded the low hill her eyes took in the twisted forms of the Trollocs, and her heart leaped for the men who fought valiantly among them. “Rally to the White Tower!” Kabria screamed, using flows of air to make her voice heard. Digging her heels into Blade’s flanks she rushed forward, plunging herself into the heart of battle. Her sword of steel blazed with flame and everywhere she struck Trollocs died screaming. The mean and beasts were packed too close for lighting, and any of her weaves with Earth, which was her strongest element, would likely kill them all. With a fierceness to match any of the mens Kabria fought, using her sword as an instrument of death. Still though men fell, and for each one Kabria mourned and intensified her attacks.

A quarter of an hour had not passed when she met Perivar at the center of the battle field. He was bleeding, but not badly wounded. Laying her hands on him she washed away his fatigue and sent him to check on the causalities while Kabria spoke to the captain. 

For 6 days they battled their way through ranks of Trolloc’s and men, each time delivering the same message to the Captain’s they met. Some battles they rode away from, knowing that they were beyond even Aes Sedai help, and in others Kabria was forced to kill the innocent to save the rest.

On the 8th day with Kabria’s energy spent they turned back towards the small village, riding slow and resting often to save the horses for the long journey home. It was the evening of the ninth day that they found themselves back at the small Inn.

Kabria’s fatigue had gotten the best of her and Perivar had to carry her up to their room. As he was carrying her limp body down the hall Torvus happened to step out into the hall and his mouth fell open wide with shock. The young man followed them down the hall asking questions even after Perivar had shut the door and barred it for the night.

The next day when Kabria woke, still weak from overexertion, she found Torvus at her door asking leave to come in. She could hear Perivar’s quiet refusal and the polite protest he was receiving in return. “It is alright Perivar, I am awake. Let him in and then go see to having breakfast brought up.” Sitting up in the bed Kabria pulled the covers to her chest and leaned back against the headboard. She was still adjusting herself to get comfortable when Torvus entered, ducking past Perivar and his scowl. He seemed surprised to find her in her bed, and lacking clothes; though she was decently covered by the sheets, and the large bandage that wound around her shoulder and chest.  On the last day they fought she’d taken a wound, and they’d been unable to find an Aes Sedai to heal her. So she would suffer their ride back to Tar Valon and trust Perivar to keep any infection at bay.

Kabria Delondre

A week slowly passed.  Torvus was done with figuring out the necessary supplies and the costs.  Provided there was no steep inflation this week, he would be able to pay for it with the money Kabria Sedai had provided with change to spare.

At least she had left him some books.  He took two rides in the countryside per day, already satisfied in the improvement in his riding and his archery.  His leg would be back to normal within another week or so, he thought. Yet even with things to occupy his time, he often felt distracted, worried that something might have happened to her.

Two days before the week was over, Torvus went to buy all the supplies, hoping there was someone to come back to need them.  All the food would last for two weeks at the least as long as it was properly sealed, and Torvus did his best to make all of it compactly packed in saddlebags for the journey.  There were two extra saddlebags worth of food than three horses could carry with ease, but Torvus was up to the challenge. He was light enough that his horse could carry extra weight as long as it was balanced properly. He took his own saddle apart, buying extra leather from his own purse to modify it.  Hours later, Torvus wiped his brow, satisfied that his improved saddle would do the trick to carry the extra bags of supplies.  He waited then, keeping to himself in his room.

The evening before the week was over, they returned.  Torvus heard footsteps in the hallway, and opened his door.  To his shock, he saw that the warrior was carrying Kabria in his arms.  She was hurt.

"Blood and Bloody Ashes!" Torvus exclaimed.  "Is she alright?  Can I do anything to help?  Is she badly hurt?  What happened?"

None of his questions were answered, and the door shut firmly in his face.  Her Warder gruffly told him she was not to be disturbed.  Torvus shouted after him briefly, but his questions met the solid wood of the door.  Nothing he said would make her feel better, so he said nothing.

Extremely upset, Torvus grit his teeth and sullenly paced the hallway, waiting for any sign that Kabria would be alright.  He would stay up all night if he had to.  Silence, save from his own steps and breathing and a few people in the common room below, and even they retired before long.

The next morning, Torvus found himself waking up, leaning awkwardly against the wall to one side of the door.  Immediately, he knocked on the door.  The intimidating swordsman opened it just a crack.

"Will she be alright?" Torvus persistently asked.  He stubbornly added, "May I see her?"

"No, she is not to be disturbed." the man replied sternly.  Torvus protested,  "But I've studied some herbology!  Perhaps I could do something to help?"

"She needs her rest," the warder repeated, but Torvus could hear Kabria's voice behind him.  She told Perivar to let him in, but Torvus was already moving, ducking past the scowling bodyguard.

Torvus was surprised to see her there, with not much on other than a sheet covering herself.  He could see a bandage poking above the sheet on her shoulder.  She's been wounded!  I have to help her somehow...

Though asking an Aes Sedai to help her might not go off very well.  She could very well not desire help for herself, considering that she could Heal injuries at will.  Yet why would she choose to remain injured?  It didn't make sense to Torvus.

"Are you alright?  What happened?" he asked, genuinely concerned.

Kabria’s smiled, and when a small laugh erupted from her lips she winced and clutched her side. “Your concern warms me Torvus.” She murmured when she was able to speak. Always before when they’d fought Perivar had managed to keep her from any serious harm, but this time there was too many. They had ridden in already knowing they would be badly outnumbered, but trusting in their skill and the Light to see them safe.

As soon as the battle died, Kabria had limped to where Perivar was sagged, leaning against his sword and healed him of a wound that would have taken his arm. Exhausted, and with no energy left she’d collapsed and it wasn’t until she woke that she realized she’d been hurt. It was not a life threatening wound, unless it became infected, but it was still serious enough. It had pierced her shoulder, dangerously close to her heart, but by the fact that she still breathed they knew it had not.

Trying to find a more comfortable position Kabria shifted in the bed, with no few groans. ‘Please take a seat.” Nodding towards the chair that Perivar had vacated she briefly told him about how she’d been injured.

“As it has been all these long weeks, the fighting was hot and we were badly out numbered. I was distracted by several Trollocs when a wretched darkfriend managed to stab me with his dagger. I am lucky that it is not poisoned and that it missed my heart or I would not be here speaking to you now. Sadly I have been unable to find no other Aes Sedai that can heal me, so until I do I will suffer through the pain” A confused look crossed young Torvus’ face and it took Kabria only a moment to realize what it may mean.

“Perhaps you do not know, many people know very little about the true nature of Aes Sedai, but the gift I have been blessed with is not without limitations. I can heal others of hurts just as if they’d never been, but I cannot do the same for myself. It is a weakness in our strength.”

Her throat was dry from so much speaking and already she was beginning to feel drowsy. “Torvus, in my saddle bags you will find a small packet of herbs. Will you mix them in some water and bring them to me please?” It was only a small packet of Andilay root, too help with fatigue but she was glad to have it.

While Torvus was still mixing the herbs Perivar came back in with her breakfast. He sat down and started to feed her, but Kabria was having none of it. Pitching her voice low so as not to be heard across the room she and Perivar had a quiet argument. She wanted him to go out and find a Healer or a Wisdom, but he didn’t want to leave her alone with the young man. “Light Perivar, he is as gentle as a lamb and besides I am well enough to channel a bit now. Enough to stop any of his ill intend. Plus I will need the crimsonthorn, and dogwood to make it back to Tar Valon. As it is right now the pain is too much for me to ride, but then you know that.” Finally Perivar conceded, but he issued another warning to Torvus before going.

“If any harm befalls her, I will see you dead in the slowest and most painful way possible.”

Kabria fought hard to stifle another laugh and only just succeeded. Torvus came back to the bed and handed her the extremely weak mixture. “Thank you Torvus. Could you lay the tray on my lap please, my right arm is not working as it should.”

Slowly she began to bring food to her mouth, with the young man watching nearly every bite. “Did you manage to gather all the supplies? Were there any you had trouble finding?” She kept asking him questions between bites, if only to keep him from staring.

Torvus listened as Kabria mentioned fighting in battles.  With trollocs!  He found that to be particularly impressive.  He was a little confused, but Kabria eventually explained that Aes Sedai could not heal themselves.  Why would she have admitted such a weakness to him? he wondered.

“Torvus, in my saddle bags you will find a small packet of herbs. Will you mix them in some water and bring them to me please?”

Torvus nodded and looked in the pack.  Sure enough, there was a small parcel with herbs in it.  He went straight to work, glad that he knew enough about herb work to be somewhat useful.  As he was finishing, the Warder turned toward him, threatening him if anything bad happened to his Aes Sedai.  Torvus shuddered.  He had no intention of intentionally finding himself on this man's bad side.

Once the man left, Torvus finished and brought the draught over to Kabria.

"Here," he said.

“Thank you Torvus. Could you lay the tray on my lap please, my right arm is not working as it should.”  

He nodded, and moved the tray to her lap so that she could eat more easily.  He sat next to the bed, feeling an odd sense of deja vu as he watched her eat.  Hadn't he been in this position before, only their roles reversed, not so long ago?

Not having much of a chance to remark on this irony, Kabria started asking him questions as to his assignment.

"Yes, everything is ready.  There were some things that were hard to find a reasonable price for, but I managed to find enough bargains that you have plenty left over from the amount you gave me."

He started attempting to answer additional questions as to more specific supplies.  Had he made sure all the food was non-spoilable.  Yes, he replied, with the exception of ___ and such.  He continued to give his report.

When he finished, she seemed to have slowed down eating.

"Are you feeling any better?" he asked.  "Is there anything I can do for you to feel more comfortable?  I would imagine our journey would have to wait a few days for you to recover from that wound."

Kabria listened with half an ear while Torvus told her of the supplies he’d gathered; and she managed to only smile when he spoke of price. It was not too many years ago, when she herself had been aghast at the mountain of money she received each year.  In her youngest years she had grown up with money, but in all the years of her conscious memory she had been close to poor. Now she spent coin freely, though she was usually conservative with major purchases. The heart of her would always remember what it was like to count each copper.

“You have done well Torvus. I appreciate all that you’ve done. Your service will not go unremembered.” Smiling at him she gestured for him to take her tray and lay it by the door. “To answer your question I am feeling better, the Andilay root seems to have helped, at least a bit. I am hoping that we will not be delayed long. If I have my way we will take to the road this evening.” Torvus’ eyes popped, but Kabria kept on. “It is dangerous to travel in the evenings anywhere, but most especially so near the Blight, but I am hoping that our passage away from the Borderlands is not noticed. There are too few of my Sister’s here now for them to see any more leaving.”

She knew that she was confiding a lot in Torvus, but she trusted him. There was something about his innocence that made her believe in him, even if Perivar did not. She had seen enough evil to be a good enough judge to trust him in the little bit she was giving out. “Do not fear for your safety on this journey, not from me or Perivar or the outside world. I promise to see you safe on your journey to Tar Valon.” It was a large promise to make, but she would see it done. Kabria could not say why, but she found herself strangely attracted to Torvus. Not in the way she was attracted to Perivar, but in the sense that she felt the need to care for him and see him safe; more so than any other she’d met on her travels.

Torvus started to respond to her when the door burst in and Perivar ushered the old woman healer through the door. In typical fashion for women of her station she had both men ushered out into the hall before either could put up any protest. Smiling at the woman’s boldness and skill Kabria obliged her, and allowed the woman to redress her wound. She also suffered through listening to her instructions on how the wound should be cared for, and the chastising for being wounded in the first place, all with a good grace. Kabria even gave the woman a small hug as she left. While she struggled to her feet and into her pants and blouse she marveled at how well the woman did, even with not being able to channel. Once the Wise Woman was satisfied that Kabria was decent she allowed the men to file back in.

Torvus has a vaguely worried look on his face and Perivar simply looked annoyed. Hoping to break the tension in the room Kabria assigned them both tasks. “Perivar Gaidin, after you have helped me finish dressing you will see to settling the bill and the horses. Torvus, you can help re-pack my saddle bags and this room.” Smiling for all she was worth and ignoring Perivar’s look, Kabria leaned back on the bed while Perivar helped her into her boots. Even though he could feel the pain in the bond, Kabria smiled through gritted teeth while he got her to her feet and helped her into her coat.

Once Perivar was out of the room and Kabria was sure Torvus was occupied she dipped into her belt pouch and pulled out a few more leaves to help with the pain. She really did want to make haste to Tar Valon, and she was not sure how well she would stay in the saddle just yet.

After the room was packed and she’d talked Torvus through a check to make sure they’d forgotten nothing, she had to accept his help down the stairs. He did a credible job at balancing her and the burdens of the bags. Down in the common room Kabria waited at the table while they saw to the rest of the readying and she ordered them all a hot meal and drink.

“You have done well Torvus. I appreciate all that you’ve done. Your service will not go unremembered.”

Torvus smiled at her acknowledgment, wondering if the small, relatively easy things he had done had actually done anything to repay his debt.  Perhaps, but he was sure there must be more to it.  He stared at her when she said that she wanted to leave that evening.  Already?  When she was wounded?  Wouldn't that tax her strength and risk infecting the wound?  He didn't really know what to say in protest, however, since how exactly did one tell an Aes Sedai that she was being reckless?  At least, how did one say something like that politely?

“Do not fear for your safety on this journey, not from me or Perivar or the outside world. I promise to see you safe on your journey to Tar Valon.”

Now she was promising that he was safe?  He would be able to take care of himself well enough, he thought.  She didn't have to swear by the Light or anything if something did end up happening to him.  Though he wasn't as sure about this Perivar.  Apparently that was the Warder's name.  The man's threat rang in Torvus's ears. Perhaps in that case her promise was rather reassuring.  He started to thank her for the gesture though when the door opened suddenly behind him.  Torvus jumped a little, and turned to see who it was.

The Warder was back, accompanied by an elderly woman who must be a healer.  She wasted no time in snapping at both Torvus and Perivar to leave.  Torvus, without having any time to think about anything, was first out the door, followed by the older warrior.

As they waited, Torvus glanced at Perivar, and then looked away.  The man didn't seem to be in a good mood for conversation.  Perhaps another time?  They went back in the room, Kabria now all but fully clothed.  She immediately assigned them tasks.

Torvus got busy packing, fumbling a bit with unfamiliar clothing and objects.  Rolling it all up as best as he could, he packed her saddle bags tightly, with some room to spare.  Hoisting them on his shoulders, Torvus adjusted them so they'd balance reasonably.  A light task; the saddlebags were not extremely heavy all things considered.  Torvus told Kabria that he was ready, and she made to follow.  Only she still seemed badly hurt, even with the treatment from the healer.  Torvus adjusted the saddlebags again, freeing a hand.

"Here, I'll help you down the stairs." he offered, and gave Kabria a firm support with his good arm to walk slowly down the stairs.  She waited at the common room while Torvus went to the stables where Perivar was waiting.

Hesitantly offering the man Kabria's saddlebags, knowing that he would no doubt do a better job packing them on a horse he was familiar with, Torvus dared to say something to him finally.

"My thanks.  I'm going to go back up for my things and the provisions I have here, and then I believe we need to stop by the granary for the horse feed before we leave town.  I rigged my saddle to carry most of that well enough though, so we should be good.  I'll be right back."

The long days of the journey were hard on Kabria, and the nights were no better. It was turning cold near the Blight, and her wound was beginning to feel like fire. It took longer than it ever had for Kabria and Perivar to make the journey between the Borderlands and Tar Valon.

Their young companion did not slow them down, it was Kabria’s need for frequent rests and her inability to ride at more than a trot. Her slash and grown infected and she could feel the worry from Perivar; for he knew the seriousness of battle wounds. A strange numbness began to come over her each time she mounted Blade and by the final days of the journey she was riding laying across his saddle as he sped towards Aes Sedai, the only ones who could help.

Kabria did not remember parting ways with their young companion, nor did she remember being healed. Before the shining walls came into sight she had fallen into a kind of restless sleep, and even the sun was veiled from her eyes. 

Kabria Delondre

wounded and unaware

• 7 months later...