DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Naming the Dark One

Ok, so I've been wondering this for awhile now. If nobody EVER names the dark one (and those that do are extremely looked down upon), and bad things happen to anyone who does name the dark one, how is it that EVERYBODY knows the dark one's real name?

I mean, do they write it down for little kids and say "Don't ever say this name!" or what?

I would say that there have been darkfriends ever since ever, and the darkfriends have in fact spoken the name where other's could hear. Plus the trollocs and myrdraal and other shadowspawn have attacked out of the Blight for thousands of years, and they and the dreadlords leading them, have probably all said the name a few times. And then of course it's probably written in a hundreds of books in the White Tower so all the Aes Sedai would know it. I don't think it would be that hard to learn. And of course there are people who don't believe the DO would see them so they speak the name (like Rand in TGH). When you say "no one ever says that" what you really mean is "everyone says it, but nobody will ever admit to it."

i know this doesn't answear much but we did hear that mat had heard a coplin/congar say it when he was younger..it could have grown from there,him askin his dad what the name meant etc.this still doesn't explain how they knew it the first place,but there is the fact that some probably doubt it has any real negative effect

Archived