DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Can we get on with this? Arrival. [Attn: MoN and Alicatia]

Opal

Opal stood in the large entrance hall of The White Tower, wishing she had listened to her Mother and sisters about where to go to get tested. They had all told her at one time or another, go to somewhere and be tested by an Aes Sedai, she really hadn’t listened.

There were women everywhere in here, some in silks some in fine linens, but there were a lot of women in white, some kind of livery maybe?

Some of the women were in plain white dresses, others had a strange rainbow around the hems. The ones in all white were practically running, under servants maybe? The women with the rainbows at their hems had more dignity, and upper servant maybe clerks? Opal decided they were the ones to ask.

Opal was wearing the pale blue woolen dress that her mother had made especially for her testing. Pale green vines were embroidered around the hem of the skirt and up the sleeves, her Mother had impressed upon her the need to look just so. “Aes Sedai are advisers to Kings and Queens,†she had said “you must treat them with the respect that you would show for a Queen.â€

So Opal had pull her waist length hair back in braids and coiled them around the crown of her head, and fastened her gold and opal hair pins into the creation. She wore opals in her ears on gold wires. She felt she could be presented to a Queen, in this outfit.

She frowned and smoothed her skirts, why couldn’t they just have some one by the door, then you could just go in have it done and leave. No, sorry you can’t channel, thanks for coming though.

Opal quickly squished the little voice in her that said, what if you can? She couldn’t, none of her sisters could, and that was that. She was only doing this to please her Mother.

Well, she thought to herself, I won’t get this done any faster standing here. She put a pleasant expression on her face and asked the nearest woman in a banded dress where she should go.

Following the directions she had gotten to the office, Opal keep her face pleasant and her spine straight.

Standing in front of the door she smoothed her skirts, smoothed her hair, and rapped on the door. “Let’s get this over with quickly.â€she thought. She was hoping to get on a boat heading down river this evening.

Faerzyne comforted the whippet of a novice seated in front of her as best she could. Her position as overseer of the White Tower initiates meant she more often handed out correction and punishments, yet there were times when she also offered a shoulder to cry on, for those in need. It was disconcerting at times, Faerzyne herself had never been one prone to tears or 'female' outbursts of emotion, yet to some of these girls, she was the closest thing they now had to a mother.

Offering the sniffling girl a handkerchief from her pocket, Faerzyne patted the girl's back lightly, from where she was kneeling in front of her, bells in her braids faintly tinkling with the motion. "There now child, dry your tears." She said softly, soothingly. The girl nodded, dabbing at her moist cheeks. She had been in the office now for some time, crying with homesickness, though now at least it seemed she was feeling better, her sobs subsiding. Faerzyne could hardly recall the words she had spoken to soothe her, but they seemed to work as the girl mustered a shaky smile.

"Thankyou, Aes Sedai." The girl managed as Faerzyne stood, awarding her with a smile as a tingling sensation passed over her, a sure sign that one of her wards had been set off. As if on cue a knock sounded on the door. "Off with you now girl." Said Faerzyne gently, leading her to the door. Opening it, the novice dropped a curtsey and scurried past, leaving a bewildered looking girl in her wake. Not clothed as an initiate, she had the appearance of an outsider, a petitioner perhaps.

"My name is Faerzyne Grigory, Mistress of Novices." Toned Faerzyne, waving the girl into the office and closing the door softly behind her. "How can I help you?" Waving to a chair, she moved behind her desk, looking over it curiously at the newcomer.

~Faerzyne, MoN

• 1 month later...

Opal frowned after the girl in white, she had scuttled out by her without noticing her. Perhaps they aren’t servants, she thought.

"My name is Faerzyne Grigory, Mistress of Novices." Said the woman in the open door way. Opal jerked her head around to her, her big dark green eyes narrowed a bit studying the woman. An Arafellin, by the sliver bells in her hair. Opal's Father had made a larger order of sliver bells for an Arafellin. So this was an Aes Sedai? She had a strange ageless quality to her face, and seemed imposing.

The Mistress of Novices motioned Opal into the room and toward a plain straight back wooden chair. "How can I help you?" The Aes Sedia sat at her desk and peered curiously at Opal.

Drawn in and now in the room Opal felt fear, she squashed it quickly, Aes Sedai or not, nothing had happened to her sisters here, nothing would happen to her. She curtsied to the Aes Sedai, a deep curtsy one she would have given a noble that had come into the shop, and fell into her the chair.

“My name is Opal Coran, I am a jeweler from Cosamelle. My Mother has sent me to be tested.†She smiled slightly, “Not,†she added quickly “that I believe I can channel none of my sisters could, but to indulge Mother. Is this a quick test? I would like to be on a boat soon.â€

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Arie Ronshor

OOC: Hi Opal! Welcome to the Tower! i'm filling in and "NPC'ing" Faerzyne until our Lovely MoN has returned. My Name is Arie, and I Rp Maegan Ryanne, a Red Sitter. If you need anything just give me or your Mentor a Shout. (You should have been assigned one when your bio was approved.)

IC:

Faerzyne showed no thought, although curiosity sparkled in her eyes as she looked down at the young child. The spark she felt, but it was always better to give a visual.

"Well, than on with the test." She pulled out a smooth round stone, poished til it was nearly clear in colour and passed it to the girl. "Look into the stone and clear your mind. Concentrate on the feel and the softness. Now think of a place the you feel safe. A field, free from a place like this. there are no walls, no one in sight, but it's warm here. The wind gentle and playful. Imagine a flower in the palm of your hand, alive, and blooming as you watch."

The stone glowed in the girls hand.

"You can channel, Child." She let the girls ponder on this as she moved to her own desk. Opening the book that was placed on her desk. "This is the big book of Novices. In order to admit you to the White tower I must to scribe you in it. I need your age and place of origin."

Faerynze Sedai

MoN

OOC: Yay! I'm so happy to finally get reply, yup I have a mentor, I'll pm her and tell her we are back yay!

"Well, than on with the test."

Opal took the stone, wondering what kind of crystal it was, not diamond, too clear to be a moonstone.

"Look into the stone and clear your mind. Concentrate on the feel and the softness. Now think of a place the you feel safe. A field, free from a place like this. there are no walls, no one in sight, but it's warm here. The wind gentle and playful. Imagine a flower in the palm of your hand, alive, and blooming as you watch."

Dubiously, Opal imagined a flower, one she had used as a model for a carved piece last year, she had stared at that flower for days, she could picture it in detail. Concentrating she formed the image into one of the flower slowly opening, and something inside her changed, opened? The stone glowed in the her hand.

Glowed? Stones don’t glow, unless she could channel and she had made it glow. "You can channel, Child." The Aes Sedia said almost on top of her own thought.

"This is the big book of Novices. In order to admit you to the White tower I must to scribe you in it. I need your age and place of origin."

“Must you?†Opal said without thinking, “I really don’t want to be an Aes Sedia, I only came because mother wanted me too. I want to go home and be a jeweler, there are two men that I think might make good husbands, I’m almost decided on one and, I have a place in mind to start my own shop and, and…†She stood up, then sat back down, then stood again, holding out the stone to the women behind the desk, “I really must get on a boat tonight, you must have so many girls you don’t need me, do you?†She said hopefully, “Are you certain that I can channel? The glowing wasn’t that strong maybe it was a trick of the light? The light from the window…..†She trailed off.

Opals knees gave out and she sat down again, she pressed the heels of her hands against her eyes trying to stop the tears, the stone felt cool on her forehead. “Do I have to be a novice now?†She whispered through her hands, “I never thought, that I could possibly channel. None of my sisters could, why me?â€

~Opal

Guest Arie Ronshor

Faerynze frowned with her smile hidden behind her lips and eyes. The girls need to be insignificant was oddly refreshing but almost irritating. The Tower did not have nearly the amount of Girls to fill thier capacity, and few girls were being found each year. And yet this girl did not wisht o be an Aes Sedai and to settle with married life when she was destined for so much more.

"The wheel weaves as the wheel wills." She simply said. There was never a reason that someone girl was picked over anouther. It was only years later that this was ever understood. Or had the possibility to be understood.

"Regardless of why you were born with the ability to channel, you possess the ability to Channel. You could never go back to your old way of life now. Regardless of whether you Tested and left, or never were tested at all. If you do not learn how to harness your talent it could lead to your death through severe headaches and accidents that could cause great harm."

She softened her look and started straight in to the girls eyes. "I do not wish to scare you, but the warning is very real. There have been girls that have come to the Tower without the wish to stay. They have run off before they learned to control thier Talent and have died becasue thier touch was uncontrolled, or for being hunted because of thier ability. Could you live with the knowledge that if you left here today, went home on a boat and married a wonderful man within the next year or two. Hide this secret and loose your first Child, your second child, because you could not control your touch with Saidar during pregnancy."

"We seach for girls to help them learn to live. We give each girl the option to leave the Tower when they are not a danger to themselves or the people around them. But we also challenge them to better themselves through schooling and disipline. To become Aes Sedai and bear the Shawl with the Tear of Tar Valon."

Faerynze smilled with a bit of a challenge on her lips.

"It is your choice to leave or stay. But choose wisely, Opal Coran. A life that you could run from, or a Life you could embrace. It is completely up to you."

Faerynze leaned back in her chair, scribbling a little note that was unreadable from where Opal stood. It was the girls choice to stay or go, but the tower would not let her leave willingly. But the girl did not need to know this. The girl was baited, but would she take it?

Faerynze - MoN

NSW

"The wheel weaves as the wheel wills."

Opal heard the Aes Sedia say, Mother says that, she thought. Dropping her hands letting them lie on her lap, she stared at the cool crystal in her hand.

The woman continued, speaking of the horrible things that would happen if she went back home. She let the words fall around her, settling into her mind, no she could never go back. Her Mother would know, even if she lied, Mother always knew when she lied. Mother would send her back to the tower, bound and gagged. With her sisters pushing. She felt helpless, she had never felt helpless. She slowly raised her eyes from the crystal, and met the frank gaze of the Woman I could not live with that, she thought , even if I fooled Mother, and my Sisters and my Father and Husband. Opal could feel her future plans being shredded, and discarded, like lists on paper.

"We search for girls to help them learn to live. We give each girl the option to leave the Tower when they are not a danger to themselves or the people around them. But we also challenge them to better themselves through schooling and discipline. To become Aes Sedai and bear the Shawl with the Tear of Tar Valon." The Aes Sedia’s smile held a challenge. "It is your choice to leave or stay. But choose wisely, Opal Coran. A life that you could run from, or a Life you could embrace. It is completely up to you."

Opal saw the challenge in the woman’s smile, she took a slow deep breath. She doesn’t think I can do it, she thought to herself. She thinks I am weak, I have been weak, this won’t destroy me.

She pressed her lip together and gathered her thoughts quickly, her chin came up. She set her spine straight, squared her shoulders. She met the woman’s eyes squarely, “You have just told me I really have no choice, and yet now you say I can run away and die or stay and become powerful.†she paused, she rarely took time to think things through this deeply, it was new to her, and a little surprising. “You say, you give girls the options to stay or go after they have learned enough not be a danger to themselves, somehow I doubt that path would be any easier than becoming Aes Sedia. The weak and the frightened run away, I am not weak, I am not afraid, I will stay.†Let the woman chew on that.

“What was it you said you needed, age and where I am from? 17 I am from Cosamelle in Ghealdan. I left all my luggage at my inn, and my money in the safe there, I have the receipt. Should I go get them now? Can I have my Mother send my things from home?†Thinking as deeply as she had about the woman’s words made her a bit giddy, she was happy now to able to think of trivial things like her cloths. “I must write Mother as soon as possible, she will be very pleased.†Opal began making new plans in her head,she had always been good at making plans, what she would need sent and what could be stored and letters to the nice men she was disappointing.

~Opal

OOC: Sorry, I had to change it I wasn't happy with her reaction, if it's not OK I can change it back.

Guest Arie Ronshor

Ooc: i see no problem with the changes. I am glad i waited to post now tha tyoru happy with your post. ;)

Ic:

She watched impassivly as the wheels turned within the childs head. The logic within her spilled out and aroudn the child, and Fearynze knew that the child would stay. Opal twisted the words perfect and Faerynze could see the potental of gaining the shawl very evident. The Aes Sedai smiled.

Filling out the girls information in the Book of Novices, and then filling out a second note she stood up and passed the note out the door and turned to Opal.

"Writing your mother would be a good thing, but your items in storage as best kept there. As a Novice you are allowed very few items. Those that came her with items of value were taken away until they were raised or left the Tower. Send for your thing, but request to have it sent to the same vault as yoru other items." Walking to the side cupboard, she pulled out a few extra dresses in the Novice White. "As an Initiate of the Tower you are required to only wear the White. You may hem it acordingly to fit properly. They must be clean at all times. Your mentor, who i have just sent for, will guide and instruct you further with our Rules and Policies, including curfew and chores."

There was a knock on the door.

"That must be her now." Faerynze sat behind her desk, picking up her quill, beconing the knocker to enter.

MoN

NSW

ooc: All ready for your mentor.. If you need the MoN further or just want to Rp, Contact me (arie_designs[at]hotmail.com) or just PM this account. ^_^ You can also contact me on the WT boards under the account "Maegan" .. or "Maegan Ryanne"... i can't remember.. lol!

Alicatia had been called to the Mistress of Novices office for duty. Yet another young girl coming to the White Tower to train. She wondered why she had jumped in upon her return but such was life in the Tower, might actually do so good by not training the children so well. How the Great Lord would be so proud. But that could end her up in the Mistress of Novices office, or worse the Amrylin's.

Alicatia knocked on the door and was promptly received. "Sister, you called for me?" Alicatia looked at the new Novice. "Of course, I will do my best with this child." And with that Alicatia left the room with a wave of a hand for the girl to follow.

"I will show you your room, and I will allow you time to ask questions and settle for the day. Chores begin at sunrise and you should report to the kitchens for your assignment. I will then meet with you afterwards to begin your learning process."

Alicatia lead the young girl through the halls of the Tower, commenting on important places, which stair well went where and various other sundries to get the girl acquainted to her new home. The Tower was huge and there was so much she could get lost in. Alicatia stopped at a door and opened it for her. "This is your room. Do you have an questions? Anything I can help you with before I leave you till tomorrow?"

Alicatia

Opal took the white dresses from the woman. White, she thought with dismay, I’ll look huge. I suppose those other girls in white aren’t servants after all, she thought. She could leave her things in storage awhile she supposed after all how long could this training take, the test had been quick enough. Rules, polices and curfews made sense to Opal, but chores? She was here to learn wasn’t she? Why waist time with chores? Oh, well she could ask about that later, besides what sort of chores would they have her do, dusting maybe, making beds, heavy work would obviously be done by maids or whoever.

The woman who came in following her knocking was taller than Opal’s 5’2 with startling red hair, "Of course, I will do my best with this child." She told the other woman and left the room waving a hand for Opal to follow.

I wish they would stop calling me child, she thought. She scurried after the thinner woman. "I will show you your room, and I will allow you time to ask questions and settle for the day. Chores begin at sunrise and you should report to the kitchens for your assignment. I will then meet with you afterwards to begin your learning process." She was told.

Opal tried to remember everything that the Aes Sedai pointed out and told her, but was lost and confused already. Surly there will be someone to ask later.

The woman stopped and opened a door. "This is your room. Do you have any questions? Anything I can help you with before I leave you till tomorrow?"

“Err,†Opal said peering into the tiny room that impossibly, had three equally tiny beds crammed into it, a small wardrobe, lots of hooks on the wall and a small wash stand with a bowl and pitcher, and a small cracked mirror. “Will I be sharing a room then? Wait, the kitchens? Why have me doing chores if I am here to learn would it be faster for me to just study, or whatever? How long does this training take anyway?†The last few questions came out as demand.

~Opal

Occ: Thanks Arie. :)

Alicatia smiled as the flood of questions that everyone asks came out of the girls mouth. Everyone asked, she was sure she had, but that was so many years ago it was hard to remember.

"Will you be sharing a room? Yes, all novices share a room." Alicaita waited to see if more questions followed one answer, but nothing came, it appears she had forgotten it already.

"As far as your chores, all Novices and Accepted are required to do chores. It keeps your minds busy instead of lingering when you are not learning." She knew there would be protest in her explanation, but she never understood chores either, other than to build service to all into a new novices' character. It however did its purpose.

"Your training will take approximately 10 years to be raised to Accepted and 10 to 12 years more than that to reach the Shawl. Mastering the One Power is not like mastering to read or to write. It is very complicated and takes many years." Alicatia could nearly see the girls jaw drop at the time it would take. She didn't add she would be much older and her family will have long since changed and moved on with their lives.

"Is there anything else before I let you settle?"

Ali

Opal felt like shouting “answer the last question first“, at this stupid woman. How much of her life would be wasted here?

"Will you be sharing a room? Yes, all novices share a room." The woman said then paused.

Opal waited staring at the woman, get to the point, she thought.

"As far as your chores, all Novices and Accepted are required to do chores. It keeps your minds busy instead of lingering when you are not learning."

Opal gritted her teeth and fought to keep here face smooth. Get to the point woman, she screamed, in her mind

"Your training will take approximately 10 years to be raised to Accepted and 10 to 12 years more than that to reach the Shawl. Mastering the One Power is not like mastering to read or to write. It is very complicated and takes many years."

Twenty two years, or more, she felt sick. All the anger she had felt slipped away, like water down a drain. Opal clutched her white dresses to her chest. Everyone she knew including her would be old, she would be 39, almost dead. Why did this have to happen to her? Why?

She slowly blinked her dark green eyes, twice. I will not cry in front of one of them again, she thought, I am not weak. They will not cast me out. Opal didn’t want to be Aes Sedia, but she recognized that she really had no options. That didn’t mean she had to like it, she would fight every step of the way.

“Thank you, Aes Sedia.†She said woodenly, “That is all I wanted to know, I don’t need anything else, thank you†she said again.

Her eyes were fixed to the floor, her life was over. She bobbed a quick curtsy, hoping the woman would leave. She simply wanted to be left alone, she would not show weakness to one of these women again.

~Opal

Alicatia nodded and left with out another word. There was little more to do or say until the next day. She had other things to tend to now.

OOC: What do you wish to do next.I can help you with touching the source which can be a regular rp or intro to saidar.

Ali

Opal raised her head to watch the woman glide away, she left very abruptly. That was what Opal had wanted, but now she felt very small and alone.

Opal turned and went into her new room that she would live in for the next 10 or so years, she shut the door quietly. She wanted to rage, throw things, scream, and kick the furniture. But she didn't, she sat quietly down on the first narrow bed she came to, and set the white dresses down next her. She folded her hands in her lap, she took a deep breath and held it counting off the seconds in her head. It kept her from screaming.

Why did this have to happen to her? Why did Mother send me here? She didn't have to like what she was to become, she hated that this place had stolen here life.

But, she thought, Aes Sedia wield great power, there words have weight with kings and queens. I will have that power too, one day.

She nodded her head slowly thinking this over, one day I will have that power.

She stood up to put her new dresses away, noting that the room was empty of other belongings, good no roommates.

What will I do with the power over kings, she wondered, then began making lists in her head and chuckling to herself.

~Opal