DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Travels

Canis Rufus

So I thought I would see if I could spark some discussion.  Recently Rebecca and I have started to plan a rather large vacation.  We know it want happen for about two years as we are tied to some prior obligations.  But this does give us an excellent opportunity to plan something really fun.  Well we first place Paris and Rome on the table as she has not had the chance to do either but that is when the discussion skewed to going somewhere and doing something truly off the standard travel pamphlet.  With my world travels, if it is costal in the Mediterranean I have likely been there.  So here is what I ask and hope that my fellow bander will help me with.

Where should we go?  For now assume that our budget will be of median value though this is trip is a treat so some exceptions will be made.  We both love music deeply not just roots and origins but new experimental as well.  We are both deeply vested in the arts though we have a very practical side.  We love to hike but Rebecca cannot handle extreme cold air for extended periods due to a skin condition, but we are both physically fit and work out often so strenuous is not the issue.  Lastly she loves fashion and marketing aspects of it while I have a deep passion for food and history. 

So Toss out some ideas and let me know why we should go there.   

Prague, Czech Republic has beautiful architecture, interesting food, friendly people, great art, good restaurants, and the countryside surrounding it is beautiful.  I spent a week in Chotebor, CZ which is about an hour outside of Prague.  It's surrounded by beautiful green countryside, rolling hills, and is a cute little small town with cobblestone streets and a concentric style layout.  I didn't get a chance to do any hiking (other than hiking around Prague), but it sure looked like there were some beautiful places to hike. 

The only problems I would foresee would be that it might be out of your way, or that it will most likely be cold, and you said your wife can't handle long exposure.

But that's my two cents.  I would go back in a heartbeat if I got the chance.

Good idea guys! Honestly we  had not even thought about Prague I'll be sure to run it by Rebecca.  Define cold?  Our problem is that normally cold means dry no humidity and that hurts her skin.  So like low 50s and up were good with out to much worry going below that humidity normally drops and we start having problems.

Jen- We talked about Spain I have spent some time in Roda.  Would you only say Seville because your there or is there more? 

I went to Prague in September, and the weather was fantastic! Not too hot, and not that cold - that nice inbetween temperature. Plus it is a city that you get to know very quickly. By the third day there, Northie and I didn't bother with using our map. If you do decide on Prague, let me know and I will tell you a great hotel to stay in (5* in the centre that didn't cost the earth), plus some great restaurants!

Paris is a brilliant city for art. The Lourve is fantastic. Great architecture and history! Plus a great romantic city.

When Northie and I went to Italy, we did Rome, Florence and Venice. I think Florence and Venice are much better value for money than Rome. I don't think I want to hurry back to Rome, unlike the two other cities. Florence, like Prague, isn't that big, but you feel like you know where you are after a few days. Again, I can recommend an awesome hotel (if it still exists) right in the centre next to the Duomo. And Venice is just so different to other cities!

My parents have travelled to Eastern Europe quite a lot over the last few years, and have had great times. They thoroughly enjoyed Vienna, but it wasn't that cheap. You can do two capital cities, as Vienna airport is only an hour away from Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia. Budapest, Hungary, was another place my parents enjoyed.

Corki - my family is thinking of taking a week vacation to Italy right before I head to Spain, or while I'm in Spain. Florence was a definite on my list while Rome was a, if we have time option...I have been told by a friend who visited that I need to see the Vatican City though. Do you go there at all? And mom said no to venice because it was too expensive to stay at....

Staying inside Venice is expensive. Northie and I stayed in the town just the other side (Mestre), and it did cost 1 euro to travel into Venice. Hotels are much cheaper in Mestre.

As for the Vatican, get there early! And expect queues! We Brits are good at queuing, so it wasn't much of a problem. And remember the dress code, since it is the home of the Catholic Church - so knees covered, no bare shoulders. A good guide book will tell you this.

I spoke to Rebecca last night about Prague she was intreasted so we have put it on the list.  I've never heard of Mestre but that sounds like a great plan Corki.  How did you travel back and forth was it Rail or bus and how were the transport scheduals, ie 24 hr in and out or you had a time window you had to stick or you were stuck at either side till the next day.  

It was a train between Mestre and Venice. One journey was 1 euro in price. Northie and I arrived quite early in the morning, and left most days after 9pm in the evening. The trains were pretty frequent during the day as Mestre was the stop before Venice.

I believe there are buses, but have no idea how much or how frequent they are.

What all did you do in Venice?

There is much to do in Venice! Things Northie and I did included:

- St. Mark's Basilica (and I got told off for taking a photo and getting in the way of an annoying tour party!)

- a trip to the island of Murano, world famous for its glass

- the Archaeology Museum

- the Palazzo Ducale (the Doge's Palace)

- crossed the Rialto Bridge

- general walking around the city

and where did you eat?  Or did you pack and carry with you?

There is one famous cafe in Venice that you must go to - Caffe Florian. It isn't cheap, but it does tea, cakes, ice cream etc etc to die for! But in general, for dinner, we found restaurants depending where we were. We did have a good pizza in Venice, but I can't remember what it was called, or where. As for lunch, we found local sandwich shops.

Right...a picture of what Northie and I shared at Caffe Florian when we went. If you can't see that picture (it is from my Facebook profile), let me know and I will put it into photobucket. If you are lucky, you can hear music play while you are at the cafe...but they do charge extra when the band plays.

n202900469_32623603_3373.jpg

Archived