DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question about Ishamael

RTGally

In the glossary of TGH and TDR, Ishamael is described as "the leader of the Aes Sedai who went over to the Dark One".  That's the only reference to him leading the Aes Sedai, elsewhere he's described as a respected philisopher.  Note the description as "the leader" not "a leader".  Does anyone know anything about this? 

By the way, I'm new to the board and this is my first post, so hi everyone!

I think it says he was the leader because of the specifics of him turning himself. Basically, he was a fanmous philosopher, so when he says something like "Im going to the Dark because the Dark One winning is inevitable" people would put credit to his words. Elan Morin was a name to remember back then, and the fact that he declared openly that turning to the Dark One was the logical thing to do, people put credit to his words. That is precisely his field; people would believe him, and follow him to a point. He really was betrayer of hope because so many people followed him when he announced his allegiences.

• Community Administrator

Hi RTGally!  It's great to have you on this forum!

As for Ishamael, I think he was always in line to be Ne'blis.  His attitude and actions throughout the first few books point to him being higher than the other Forsaken.  Was he really?  Technically?  Probably not.  But he was in his own head and since the Dark One is very fond of ambition, Ishamael had to be one of his favorites.  Many say he was already insane and that was why he was impersinating the Dark One.  But my guess is that he is the Dark One's champion, just as Rand is the Creator's.

~Mashiara

I think RTGally has read the sentence to mean that Ishamael lead all Aes Sedai, and then turned to the dark one, rather than being the leader of the group of Aes Sedai (forsaken) who went over to the Dark One.

Elan was also VERY influential inn...whatever ways they were influential in the AoL.

Another books mentions that no matter how many Honors and Awards that Lews Therin gave Elan, it just made the man all the more bitter.

It also made mention that Elan WOULD have been the TOP DOG, so to speak, of the AoL, if it wasn't for Lews Therin being just a little bit better at everything.

So you have Elan turn to the Shadow, as much in jealousy of Lews Therin as anything else. BECAUSE he was so powerful(2nd in the world, right?) he automatically becomes the leader of the DO's forces, and therefore Leader of the Aes Sedai who turned to the dark.

Because of Elan's position before turning, it is nearly assured that many others also turned simply because Elan turned himself

Yeah, the way I read it was that he led all Aes Sedai.  Now that you mention it, the sentence is probably identifying him as the leader of the Forsaken.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I'm curious though about the Aes Sedai during the Age of Legends and their structure, if it was in any way similar to the White Tower.

Elan was also VERY influential inn...whatever ways they were influential in the AoL.

Another books mentions that no matter how many Honors and Awards that Lews Therin gave Elan, it just made the man all the more bitter.

It also made mention that Elan WOULD have been the TOP DOG, so to speak, of the AoL, if it wasn't for Lews Therin being just a little bit better at everything.

So you have Elan turn to the Shadow, as much in jealousy of Lews Therin as anything else. BECAUSE he was so powerful(2nd in the world, right?) he automatically becomes the leader of the DO's forces, and therefore Leader of the Aes Sedai who turned to the dark.

Because of Elan's position before turning, it is nearly assured that many others also turned simply because Elan turned himself

You are thinking of Demandred. Demandred was the second most acclaimed man of the Age of Legends. He felt he should have been the Commander of the Light, married to Ilyena, etc.

The more honors Lews Therin gave Sammael and Demandred, the more they hated him.

Archived