DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Purpose of the Ajahs in the AoL's

Red2111

last night, bubba and i were discussing multiple points about the WoT.  one topic that came up is what we thought the point was for each ajah before the breaking of the world; mainly the Red Ajah seeing as in the AoL's there were no mad men to hunt down.

so what do you guys think the purpose of each ajah was in that Age??

heres what we came up with

yellows - doctors & nurses

browns - teachers and historians

blues - politicans

greys - mediation and laywers

greens - defense and police

whites - judges and laywers

red - recruitment for White Tower and Hall of Servants

basicallly the job of the Reds would be to travel around the world and test people to determine if they could become Aes Sedia as well as keeping track of who was found where and such.

In the Age of Legends there were hundreds, if not thousands of 'ajah' (Lower case). The word literally meant 'a group of Aes Sedai joined in a political purpose'. Ajah (upper case) came about after the formation of the Tower. Indeed it was an alliance of fourteen major ajah and several other minor ajah that led to the creationg of the Tower. The thinning to seven Ajah and the assignation of specific purpose to those Ajah likely resulted from the fact that the leaders of seven particular ajah came to have particular authority within the alliance--the seven ajah leaders who were the council of the first Amyrlin.

That amalgamation of ajah is also likely why each ajah has several representatives in the Hall.

Incidentally there was also no 'White Tower' in the Age of Legends. There was in fact no centralized point for the Aes Sedai at all. Each town had its Hall of Servants--even in miniscule towns a particular Aes Sedai's house would be assigned as the local Hall of Servants.

i was unsure about the hall of servants.  seeing as neither one of us reads interviews by RJ and he does go to boards like this one that pick apart and anylze the books.  seeing as the books are so detialed and vast, i tend to stay away from areas that do so as well, unless i have a question :)

we were goign on the assumption that in the AoL's there was a "white tower" for females to learn at and a "black tower" for males to learn at.  and that the "Hall of Servants" was like a UN of sorts for mena nd women to gather and discuss important issues.

i use the terms WT and BT losely, knowing that the WT wasn't built until during the Age of Maddness, as a center hub for remaining Aes Sedia to gather.

we however, assumed that Aes Sedia were always grouped in to "7 catigories" during the AoL's

i had seen a discussion on here about the colored steps surrounding the Portal Stones, and this convo sprung from that.

can you post a link reguarding the 14 major ajahs??

can you post a link reguarding the 14 major ajahs??

It's from the Guide. It is quite detailed about both life in the Age of Legends and the formation of the Tower.

was unsure about the hall of servants.  seeing as neither one of us reads interviews by RJ and he does go to boards like this one that pick apart and anylze the books.  seeing as the books are so detialed and vast, i tend to stay away from areas that do so as well, unless i have a question

we were goign on the assumption that in the AoL's there was a "white tower" for females to learn at and a "black tower" for males to learn at.  and that the "Hall of Servants" was like a UN of sorts for mena nd women to gather and discuss important issues.

i use the terms WT and BT losely, knowing that the WT wasn't built until during the Age of Maddness, as a center hub for remaining Aes Sedia to gather.

A few quick points--one, there was no division in the sexes in the Age of Legends. Male and female, both were Aes Sedai, and both served in the Hall of Servants. There was no distinction in training--indeed, Asmodean states that the involvement of women are necassary for a man to be properly trained. Children were tested at the age of ten, and sent to schools to learn--male and female both.

Two, building the White Tower and Tar Valon began about two hundred years after the Breaking. And it took hundreds of years more for completion.

i had seen a discussion on here about the colored steps surrounding the Portal Stones, and this convo sprung from that.

To date we do not know the significance of those steps. It is possible that they were made post-breaking as a part of the study of modern Aes Sedai into the Portal Stones. No other Portal Stones had such a set up. Portal Stones resist movement, so since she couldn't drag it off to the Tower maybe some Aes Sedai tried to claim it by putting their colours around it.

But whatever Rand thought, the Seven Ajah, and the colours that represent them, did not exist in the Age of Legends.

*note to self*  must look into this guide  ;D

i'm of the same opinion reguarding the steps, that since they couldn't be moved and WT "claimed them" by creating the steps.  bubba is of a different opinion though.

thanks for the clear up Lurkers Luckers, much appreciated

Haha. Luckers. With a C.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'look into'--if you meant you weren't sure what it was, its the World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Teresa Patterson.

If you simply meant you should read it... *nods enthusiastically*. There is a lot of stuff in it. Great, amazing stuff.

Also Red could you possibly check out your Private Messages.  :)

sorry about that *blush*, i will make sure i do yer name with a C instead of an R from now on  *shakes head at self*  i honestly can't spell to save my life  

and by look into, i meant to get it and read it *nods*  bubba would enjoy it too.

edit ->  just went ot boarders and ordered it for an xmas gift for bubba  ;D  tanks for the gift idea luckers

Archived