DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin and Faile's Plotline (spoilers for the entire book)

JenniferL

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perrin understood something a long time ago:  Rand does what Rand wants for reasons that seem best to Rand.  Rand is willing to use people and discard people if he gets what he wants.  Perrin knew this way back in Book 4.  He knew that the Two Rivers was in trouble and knew Rand could not or would not try to protect it.  But Perrin can't let things like that go so he went, hoping to somehow stop it, originally by giving himself as a peace offering to the Whitecloaks. 

In book 8, he was frustrated with Rand because Rand was only ever thinking about what people offered him, he had lost his human touch.  I'm pretty sure Perrin was not willing to risk going to Rand for help and finding out that Rand thinks the Shaido can wait for now and losing his resources (Wise Ones, Winged Guards, Asha'man, etc.) while Faile is out there. 

I think it's quite telling that Perrin is willing to deal with anyone but doesn't approach Rand.  I think it says that Perrin doesn't think Rand will value the rescue of one individual enough to commit resources to it.  Perrin admits in TGS that focusing on saving his wife and dragging his army around was irresponsible, but he wanted Faile back and wasn't willing to risk harm coming to her. 

So he did the best he could, and smashed the Shaido, freed the Gaishain, gained Alliandre as a retainer and made inroads with the Tylee.  If he can bring on the Whitecloaks then that's better. 

Not with a Saldean wife, as has been written in the books Faile is no different, she likes him to take charge and not get stepped all over.  Know his worth and know when to be a fighter and a peacemaker.  It will never work for them.  Way of the Leaf will not ever happen because just as mentioned in an earlier post, Perrin knows that sometimes a man needs a good knock in the face.  Maybe not killing like was stated...lol but he def won't become the guy that runs instead of standing and fighting.

Yeah, Perrin hates violence. But he's pragmatic about it and as a ruler, reluctant or not, he's not going to give up on the option of using force to meet force, when other things don't work.

For Faile, the concept of non-violence is a little alien, I think.

It might be a last resort for Perrin, it would be among the first options his missus considered.

Perrin talked alot about foresaking his duty but he didn't.  He destoryed the Shaido and Prophet threat in one swope, not only that but made one more allience with the Seanchan, Mat being the other.  It seems like Faile's kidnapping was the way the Pattern made it possible for Perrin to fulfill his duties as Rand's collegue, ally, crony, General, fellow Tav'erin, one the great Hero's of the Last Battle (hard to find the right word). 

Archived