DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin and Faile's Plotline (spoilers for the entire book)

JenniferL

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt that Perrin redeemed himself, sort of. I always liked Perrin; slow to act, responsible, compassionate and conflicted.

The whole "Rescue Faile" arc made him toss all of these things to the wind. He was single-minded, even once considered (perhaps fleeting, but still) an alliance with the Shadow to get Faile back.

The scene with the Shaido hands nearly ruined Perrin for me.

I'm actually happy to see him somewhat resenting Faile, even though there are much deeper implications of this (i.e. Faile's rescue was only an excuse to fight...).

Oddly, I'd not call what Faile did "badass". She murdered Masema in cold blood. Granted, he's somewhat of a threat, but it was also contrary to the will of Rand and she didn't even seem conflicted. I've got to say that a lack of reverence for human life bothers me; Rand even feels conflict over killing Forsaken yet Faile doesn't even feel a twinge there.

The little funeral thing for Rolan also bugged me. A line from one of my favorite non-WoT books can be summed up as "Love is infinite", so I have no complaints about love being expressed in different ways with different people, but given her personality and the setting of the book I feel as if it was a slight to Perrin and her commitment/contract to him.

You know what Faile really redeemed herself I think in this book, and I actually liked the new direction for them to go into. I also thank god we don't have to sit through a whole book of Faile thinking he slept with Berelain.

I felt that Perrin redeemed himself, sort of. I always liked Perrin; slow to act, responsible, compassionate and conflicted.

The whole "Rescue Faile" arc made him toss all of these things to the wind. He was single-minded, even once considered (perhaps fleeting, but still) an alliance with the Shadow to get Faile back.

The scene with the Shaido hands nearly ruined Perrin for me.

I'm actually happy to see him somewhat resenting Faile, even though there are much deeper implications of this (i.e. Faile's rescue was only an excuse to fight...).

Oddly, I'd not call what Faile did "badass". She murdered Masema in cold blood. Granted, he's somewhat of a threat, but it was also contrary to the will of Rand and she didn't even seem conflicted. I've got to say that a lack of reverence for human life bothers me; Rand even feels conflict over killing Forsaken yet Faile doesn't even feel a twinge there.

The little funeral thing for Rolan also bugged me. A line from one of my favorite non-WoT books can be summed up as "Love is infinite", so I have no complaints about love being expressed in different ways with different people, but given her personality and the setting of the book I feel as if it was a slight to Perrin and her commitment/contract to him.

I don't think what Faile did was a lack of reverence for human life.  If a rabid dog gets loose in your neighborhood and starts attacking anyone and everyone, killing it doesn't make you a bad person.  Masema was a danger to society and needed to be put down.  In modern society we could arrest him, put him in an institution, give him drugs and counseling and so maybe save him.  Neither Faile, Perrin, Rand or anyone else I can think of had the resources or opportunity to give him that help.  She didn't torture him.  She gave him a good, clean death, even though he'd tried to kill her husband.  She did the right thing.

I also thank god we don't have to sit through a whole book of Faile thinking he slept with Berelain.

Likewise. I was just waiting for a line to pop up or that stupid "hurt" smell. It seems that Faile has grown up due to her captivity and for that, I'm grateful.

I agree with the above statements that Masema was a rabid dog that needed to be put down. It seemed to be a quick death as well and I think there are implications that one of the Forsaken had been screwing with his mind. A glowing figure telling him what to do? And then that last part of his father and him asking if he had done well. It made me actually pity the poor mad fool but I know he had to die, just like Aram had to die.

Rand did far more line crossing then Faile did in taking out the trash.

I think Faile acted on character here. She's always done the things that Perrin couldn't do. She knows he isn't a killer, even if he has had to kill. While not stated, I'm sure she's aware of the various actions that Masema orchestrated, including the turning of Aram and the hatred towards Perrin. Masema was likely beyond being turned, but still needed to be reined in, so she took care of it.

I suspect we haven't seen the end of the Perrin/Faile/Berelain thing though. Faile did think about the inevitable argument that they would have.

Regarding Faile's memorial for the fallen Aiel, I think it was appropriate response to the situation. Rolan was worried about Faile's well being during her stay with the Shaido. It makes sense that she'd feel bad for him winding up dead. She may not have loved him, but she recognized his feelings for her, so she mourned him.

I really didn't get this from the Perrin chapters, I did not feel that he resented Faile.  When he said that even though he had rescued Faile something still seemed wrong it took it to mean that he was coming to the realization that as much as he loved her that Faile could not be the only thing in his life that mattered.   He was realizing that he needed to live for and fight for something bigger than himself.  In other words  he needs to get his butt in gear and rejoin the fight against The Shadow.  Of course he does have his rage issues but I think that will be resoled when he accepts his kinship with the wolves and stop trying to avoid and repress it.  Elyas should be a big help in that.

Of course I'm sure we will get alot more info in ToM.  Surely Perrin's meeting with Galad, dealing with the Whitecloaks, and outing of Morgase as queen will not be things that just occur off screen.  Certainly Brandon will go back and fill us in on this story line in ToM.  In fact I think Tam eluded to this when he began to speak of it but then said "That's a story for another time."

I honestly felt that Moghdien had sent a couple of the orignial BA 13 to latch onto Masema (Berylla, Jeaine or Rianna.) Sending him crazy with compulsion and the like much sooner.

I was happy with the memorial that Faile and her friends had for the fallen Aiel. Especially after how abrupt and shocking it was to see them die suddenly last book after they had help them live. At the time, I was annoyed by how little impact it seemed to have on the ladies but thankfully this book shed more light on it and the showed the depth of their regret (especially the Tairen)

I think Perrin is a in a good position to be a powerful contributor going forward.  He's coming to reconcile his wolf-man halves, he realizes that he has a bloodlust and needs to control it, he has a love of Faile but his priority needs to be the last battle.  In short, he's become balanced and ready to act more and not question less (like his Faile is all that matters period) but rather act more and ask all the right questions!

Faile has never bothered me, but I'm pleased that she was willing to explain herself and has decided it's more important to be united and work together than two play games.  Just as Perrin was more willing to do the things she liked, now she's reaching him. 

They should be a good team in the next book. 

I think Perrin is a in a good position to be a powerful contributor going forward.  He's coming to reconcile his wolf-man halves, he realizes that he has a bloodlust and needs to control it, he has a love of Faile but his priority needs to be the last battle.  In short, he's become balanced and ready to act more and not question less (like his Faile is all that matters period) but rather act more and ask all the right questions!

Faile has never bothered me, but I'm pleased that she was willing to explain herself and has decided it's more important to be united and work together than two play games.  Just as Perrin was more willing to do the things she liked, now she's reaching him. 

They should be a good team in the next book. 

Yep, TGS was about Rand finally pulling his head out of his ass and I think ToM will be about Perrin finally pulling his head out of his ass. ;D  They've both been needing to do so for quite some time.  Why can't they be more like that nice Cauthon boy?

He was realizing that he needed to live for and fight for something bigger than himself.  In other words  he needs to get his butt in gear and rejoin the fight against The Shadow.  Of course he does have his rage issues but I think that will be resoled when he accepts his kinship with the wolves and stop trying to avoid and repress it.  Elyas should be a big help in that.

Of course I'm sure we will get alot more info in ToM.  Surely Perrin's meeting with Galad, dealing with the Whitecloaks, and outing of Morgase as queen will not be things that just occur off screen.  Certainly Brandon will go back and fill us in on this story line in ToM.  In fact I think Tam eluded to this when he began to speak of it but then said "That's a story for another time."

OMG I so hope so, the whole queen of andor thing whiteclock shitfaced look on the bunch of there faces is the part of perrin story i wanted to see, not the whinny, oh something feels uncomfortable thing.

I know I keep seeing everywhere the notion that you can't tell who wrote what but i sure can.  Did anyone else notice the difference?

We'll see the Perrin/Morgase/Whitecloaks scenes for sure. But I don't want any complaining if it takes 100 pages of the next book. I love details and well designed/paced realistic story telling! I dont want it rushed.

BTW Masema was trying to escape. He imediately tried to kidnap Faile as soon as he saw her. He would still be alive(probably) if he stayed close to Perrin, the only one who didn't think Masema should be murdered.

Yep, TGS was about Rand finally pulling his head out of his ass and I think ToM will be about Perrin finally pulling his head out of his ass. ;D  They've both been needing to do so for quite some time.   Why can't they be more like that nice Cauthon boy?

idk, Friday night while Brandon came to Minnesota for the book-signing, I took the opportunity to ask him about stuff for Moiraine namely because she is one of my favorite characters, namely my questions were:

1"Is Moiraine going to come back in time to take back her role as Rand's advisor?"

2"Will Cadsuane and Moiraine have a major arguement about being Rand's advisor?" ( I mean come on lets face it neither woman is going to stand for Rand having a different Aes Sedai advisor )

The answers he gave me were basically "I can't tell you because I'm legal obligated to not divulge anything about the future books" but he did tell me that the the complete story line for the Tower of Genji which means we should be having Moiraine coming back into Rands "group" but I don't think that will leave much room for stuff with all the other PoVs that are going to have to be touched like Perrin, Egwene, Rand, Elayne, Aviendha, and Cadsaune.

The major bother for me with Perrin (and the other Emmonds Field boys) is their constant obsession with understanding and trying to cater to women. It's time for them to move past the whining, accept that it doesn't matter whether they understand them or not, and get to the business forthcoming ie. the inevitable last battle. I think Brandon's got this all going in the right direction though. Perrin just seems a little slower to come around.

I agree that Faile had to put down Masema.  Perrin would not have done it, and with Masema trying to escape AND trying to capture Faile, it was also a degree of self defense.

Perrin's plotline has annoyed because it was bloated for so long.  In his limited screen time in TGS, it seems like he was coming back in line with the major plotlines, so hopefully he can turn around because I did like him in the first 3-4 books.

Yep, TGS was about Rand finally pulling his head out of his ass and I think ToM will be about Perrin finally pulling his head out of his ass. ;D  They've both been needing to do so for quite some time.   Why can't they be more like that nice Cauthon boy?

idk, Friday night while Brandon came to Minnesota for the book-signing, I took the opportunity to ask him about stuff for Moiraine namely because she is one of my favorite characters, namely my questions were:

1"Is Moiraine going to come back in time to take back her role as Rand's advisor?"

2"Will Cadsuane and Moiraine have a major arguement about being Rand's advisor?" ( I mean come on lets face it neither woman is going to stand for Rand having a different Aes Sedai advisor )

The answers he gave me were basically "I can't tell you because I'm legal obligated to not divulge anything about the future books" but he did tell me that the the complete story line for the Tower of Genji which means we should be having Moiraine coming back into Rands "group" but I don't think that will leave much room for stuff with all the other PoVs that are going to have to be touched like Perrin, Egwene, Rand, Elayne, Aviendha, and Cadsaune.

I disagree, if  complete Rand and Egewene story arcs can be fit into TGS then complete Mat and Perrin story arch's can be fit into ToM.  Besides how long could the ToG arc really be.  I say eight chapters at the most.   One chapter of arriving at and getting into the ToG.  2-3 chapters of their trials in the ToG.  1-2 chapters of dealing with the Finns and securing Moirain's freedom.   1-2 chapters of escaping the ToG and Moiraine expressing her gratitude ( and I think she will be big enough to do so).  However they do it I hope its pretty evenly split between Mat and Thom POVs.  Maybe a couple of Noal POVs too provided they wont reveal any deep dark secrets he might be carrying.  Of course Mat also still needs to get to Camyln and deal with Verin's letter.    Well, I won't say anymore at the risk of causing thread drift but the point is that there will be plenty of room for Perrin in ToG.

I disagree, if  complete Rand and Egewene story arcs can be fit into TGS then complete Mat and Perrin story arch's can be fit into ToM.  Besides how long could the ToG arc really be.  I say eight chapters at the most.  One chapter of arriving at and getting into the ToG.  2-3 chapters of their trials in the ToG.  1-2 chapters of dealing with the Finns and securing Moirain's freedom.  1-2 chapters of escaping the ToG and Moiraine expressing her gratitude ( and I think she will be big enough to do so).  However they do it I hope its pretty evenly split between Mat and Thom POVs.  Maybe a couple of Noal POVs too provided they wont reveal any deep dark secrets he might be carrying.  Of course Mat also still needs to get to Camyln and deal with Verin's letter.    Well, I won't say anymore at the risk of causing thread drift but the point is that there will be plenty of room for Perrin in ToG.

I thought the Verrin part of this book proves that a amount-of-text and fulfilling use of characters doen't necessarily go together.

Mat's my favorite character (many of yours, too, I believe), and I tend to want as much "screen time" as possible for him, although TGS's handling of the other characters was wonderful, so I never felt shorted.  (If anything can make me enjoy the Elayne story arc, I'll declare Brandon a miracle-worker, though ;))

Of course, I'm pretty off the thread topic now, so I'll add that I'm interested in Perrin's place in the upcoming books.  Mat seems to have about 30 ways he'll be useful in the final battle, while Perrin's role seems more limited.  (Mat has: genius military leader, married to the empress, horn of valere, incredible luck, crossbows, cannons, plan to recure Moraine, etc, while Perrin has: Wolves, Smelling Abilities, Very good military leader, and... Faile?)  Seems like we're going to have a lot more plot to get Mat through than Perrin.

So: I've been waiting for the Morgase identity revelation for 2? books now, and I get an account of it from Tam? I was really hoping to be there on this one. Did I miss a chapter?

Nope. I believe it will get covered in the next book though. It's too big to miss.

Good to see Hooper back,  I do like the wolves.

Morgase and Galad meeting is going to be interesting.  An how Faile/Perrin are going to react to finding the ex-Queen of Andor as the maid.

Is it possible that Galad will excute Byar and the other one, for not helping during the battle at the Edmonds field.

He was realizing that he needed to live for and fight for something bigger than himself.  In other words  he needs to get his butt in gear and rejoin the fight against The Shadow.  Of course he does have his rage issues but I think that will be resoled when he accepts his kinship with the wolves and stop trying to avoid and repress it.  Elyas should be a big help in that.

OMG I so hope so, the whole queen of andor thing whiteclock shitfaced look on the bunch of there faces is the part of perrin story i wanted to see, not the whinny, oh something feels uncomfortable thing.

QFT

I quite agree I had been looking forward to Perrin meeting the Whitecloaks and seeing Morgase revealed and to have THAT happen offscreen...

So it could be a matter of how Brandon said he had to split the stuff he had taking portions for TGS and then the other for TOM. It seemed like a ragged cut off mess so now we have the Rainbow Ta'veren connections to show us a hint of what is going on with the others.

It does seem good that Faile and Perrin's relationship is growing/maturing. I'm glad that Faile can be mature enough to believe her husband over the camp whispers and rumors. Hopefully now Berelain will also grow up and stop throwing herself at Perrin as well. Then all three can act like the adults they are supposed to be.

Archived