DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I suppose if I have to decide...(attn Visar)

Eqwina

Adela stretched and twisted around on the hard mattress, trying to find a comfortable position. Every muscle ached and she could already feel the dull ache in her head. It had been three days since her and Lone’s little performance and she still had not set foot outside her room. She had claimed a bellyache the first day, and sore muscles the next. If she spent another day in bed Thera would surely send for an Aes Sedai. Groaning she threw back the covers and padded across the room to the wash stand. The tiny little mirror was poor quality, but even its bubbled reflection still showed her the embarrassment on her face. Would she ever feel less of a fool?

Dressing with no apparent urgency she stood staring at the door handle to the room she shared with her brother and Davel. Either one could come back at any minute and she didn’t care to see them, not one bit. Both had been center stage at her little show, and they jests had not let up since. Drawiong her courage around herself like a cloak she walked out into the long narrow hallway and out into the afternoon sun.

Crossing the practice yards quickly she ran towards Thera’s office, something she didn’t think any other trainee had ever done. But Adela was willing to put up with any sort of discomfort to avoid having to mingle with the other trainee’s.

It didn’t take long for her strict task Mistress to worm her intentions clear. “You will not be able to avoid the yards forever Adela. So you may as well be on with it. Another day won’t make it any easier.” Nodding glumly Del left Thera and went off in search of a Visar. She had no notion of who that was, but he was to teach her about weapon care and would help her decide which weapons she would use.

She’d been avoiding this decision as studiously as she’d been avoiding leaving her room. Picking her weapons would seem like cementing herself to the Tower and her training. Something she was still not completely prepared to do.  Still she could not ignore a direct order, not when the punishment may likely be another dance. So she wandered the yards asking after Visar.

Visar was almost finished with his early morning workout that he was having trouble doing every day.  It was much easier as a trainee, when training was often scheduled for you, but making enough time, however worthwhile, was not always as easy.

He was cooling down, simply going through his forms solo with his blade, when he heard his name mentioned.  Ah yes, I'm supposed to be of help in the armory I think, he remembered, hoping he was not missed for too long.  His eyes searching for the source, Visar found a young woman who was asking for him nearby, so he approached her after he sheathed his weapon.

"I'm Visar," he announced with a smile.  "What can I do for you, trainee?" he queried. After she confirmed her intentions, he waved his sheathed sword casually in the direction of the armory, which was not far off, and started walking towards it. 

"What was your name again?" he asked, feeling as if he should remember her name, but he wasn't even sure that he had met this trainee before.

• 3 weeks later...

Adela saw a man crossing towards her from the corner of her eye and turned to face him. She tried to keep the glumness she was feeling from her voice, but she was not sure she succeeded.  “I am Adela Naurel, I’ve been in the Tower a few months.”

At saying her name she cringed, wondering if he’d been present for her little show. If he was he would surely recognize her name.

At the time it had felt as if the whole world could see her shame, but reflecting back, perhaps it had only been half the world. Quickening her step she jogged to catch up to the guard and followed him into the armory. She’d come here once before to stare at the walls. They were lined from floor to ceiling with weapons, many she could not even put a name too. Even after a month of watching others practice she was no closer to knowing what she wanted. Her mind couldn’t seem to wrap around the idea of a weapon always at her hip.

As the door clicked shut behind them Del turned to face Visar and awaited his instructions.

“I am Adela Naurel, I’ve been in the Tower a few months.”

Visar nodded, not too surprised, though somewhat surprised that he had not noticed her before.  There were a few females training to be Warders, but not in abundance.

"Well met, Adela." he said. As they reached the entrance to the armory, Visar glanced at Adela, but she seemed to be thinking about something.  Once they were inside, Visar closed the door behind them and looked around, wondering where a good place to begin a "tour" would be.

"How about we start over here," he gestured, leading Adela to the large wooden section.  There were rows upon rows of wooden practice weapons that were used in the yards, some solid and some lathed or padded for safer sparring.  Among these were actual weapons, such as a plethora of unstrung bows and crossbows: some small enough to conceal in a cloak, and others, great longbows that could only be used on foot, a good foot or two taller than they stood.  There were several bins full of bolts and arrows, some bundled and well organized, others tossed in a jumbled mess.  Visar frowned. He had been meaning to ask someone to organize those...

"Learning how to shoot a bow properly takes a long time to master," he began telling Adela solemnly, "but is well worth it if you want a trusty weapon that can take out an enemy from afar.  I can show you how to string a bow and take care of the wood so it'll last you for years, but you'll have to ask others about the finer points of its use.  I'm not a very good archer.  Go ahead and select one, I'll show you how to string it, oil it, and how best to take care of it so the wood isn't damaged by abuse or the elements.  If you're interested in learning how to make or select the best arrows, I recommend talking to our fletchers; I don't have the eye for that sort of thing.  If a bow doesn't speak to your tastes, though, then feel free to put it back after you've unstrung it.  Take your time, and feel free to ask me any questions." 

Visar set a table up with the materials that Adela would need to work on the bows, showed her how to string one, and stood back to let her choose what she wanted.

Adela experience with a bow was minimal, though she had held one before. Adamin had been insistent that she carry one while they traveled. He claimed that the site would detour anyone who thought they were fresh meat, or an easy target. Still, she preferred her dagger or her fists, with those she had put paid to many a man who thought to push his luck.

Walking along the rack of bows she stared at them carefully, as if examining the wood staves would provide an answer. Did she want to learn the bow? A part of her thought that she did. She relished at the idea of learning to keep enemies at bay without having to be within arm’s reach. Yes, perhaps the bow was a fine answer.

Reaching out she picked a stave made of a dark wood, it was not one she recognized, but the weight felt right in her hand. Walking over to the table where her supplies had been laid out she stared at them all, a bit confused. In theory she knew how they were to be used, but her body was unfamiliar with the motions. Strangely she had become more graceful since her dance and while the movements were strained she did manage to unstring the bow in only a few tries.

Holding it in her hands she looked at Visar questioningly. “I think I would like to learn the bow. There is no need to always have my enemies close at hand.” 

“I think I would like to learn the bow. There is no need to always have my enemies close at hand.”  

Visar nodded.  He wished sometimes that he had the patience for such a subtle weapon, since keeping enemies at a great distance at bay was a valuable skill to have.  But he had chosen his path, that of trying to master all ranges of close combat, and he still had plenty to learn in that category.

"Good, keep it on the table then.  And if you change your mind later you can always put it back.  As for keeping your enemies at bay..."

Visar moved along the wooden section to where a variety of staves stood against the wall.  Some were as short as only a few feet, mere sticks really, while others reached all the way to the ceiling, almost twenty (real world, I forget what feet are like in Randland) feet high.

"If you ever intend on learning a pole weapon, like a spear or halberd for example, I'd recommend starting with the quarterstaff, which is an excellent weapon in its own right. I like the staff myself to supplement my lance training; easy to learn to use, easy to take care of, and inexpensive to replace.  As for length, I'd recommend getting one that's only a few feet taller than you are to start with.  Say, as high as you can reach up with one hand, and then add a foot to that.  But that's up to you, you can choose shorter or longer as you desire.  A good practice weapon to learn other polearms, at the least.  If you want to get a polearm of some sort, you can take a staff that matches oo and I'll let you count that as one." he added with a slight grin.

Not enough people in the Tower truly appreciated the simple genius of a weapon like the staff.  True, it was a blunt weapon, but its reach meant it could always have the advantage of reach against a swordsman, and its symmetrical balance meant that it could out speed and outmaneuver any other polearm.

"And even if you don't want to keep one, I'd recommend training with it a little.  It's a very difficult challenge to fight a longer weapon, no matter how experienced you are.  In fact, I remember a legend that tells of the greatest swordsman in the world was defeated by an unskilled farmer with a quarterstaff.  Take that how you will.  I can teach you the basics of this one, too."

A staff was something that Adela was familiar with. She had seen their use many times, but the last time she’d put her hands on one she’d gotten it tangled in her legs and after hitting herself in the shins managed to land herself on the ground. There had been no end to the teasing from Adamin after that, but she was willing to try again.

“My experience is limited as well as embarrassing with the Staff, but I believe I would have an aptitude for it. I am good with my hands and feet. It was the only style of fighting I knew before coming here.”

Walking along the wall she studied the staves, they truly came in all thickness’ and lengths. Raising her arm above her head she glanced up and then picked out a pale, notched staff and held it out in front of her. It was a few hands taller than she was, and arrow straight. Making sure to hold it at arm’s length she walked over and placed it on the table carefully. She was all too aware of her teacher watching, and she did not want to be made a fool of again. Looking at the bow and the staff she knew that steel would be the next thing she would have to choose.

This choice was what had her lying awake at night. She was unsure why, but the idea of carrying more than her belt knife made her stomach turn flip flops. Perhaps it was the fear that she would have to use it that sent running. Trying to stand up very straight she waited on her next instructions, hoping that this man would have some answer for her problem.

“My experience is limited as well as embarrassing with the Staff, but I believe I would have an aptitude for it. I am good with my hands and feet. It was the only style of fighting I knew before coming here.”

While Adela was deciding on a good staff, Visar pondered what she had said.  If she was used to fighting with her hands and feet, then a good close weapon would be best for that.

Once she had decided on a staff, about the height Visar had recommended, Visar nodded with approval.

"It fits you well, I think.  If you are good with unarmed fighting, then a good short weapon might be the thing for you.  Let's skip a few sections and go over here."

Visar led Adela past rows and rows bristling with pole-arms of dizzying variety, and past rows and rows of all manner of swords, axes, maces, hammers, and shields.  At the other end of the armory were about half a dozen cabinets full of smaller weapons.  Most were knives and daggers and similar edged weapons, some short enough to conceal within a hand, others long enough to be considered swords, some as thin as a finger's width, others with cleaving blades wider than a hand's breadth.

"Knowing how to fight with and against a knife or dagger is an essential skill to have, especially since it is the most common weapon you might be attacked with.  Having one on you at all times could come in handy, and not only as a deterrent to an attacker.  You would defend and strike against a dagger much the same as you would punch someone, so you probably already know some of the skills you'd need.  And while fighting a longer weapon like a sword is extraordinarily difficult, it is possible to defeat if your opponent is foolish enough to commit to only one blow."

Visar helped Adela open some of the drawers, and let her sift through their deadly contents to choose a small arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Adela felt a rush of relief as he led her past the swords. She couldn’t say why, but somehow she knew that they would never be her weapon of choice. It may make her less deadly than some of the other women in the yards. The ones she saw sauntering with swords on their hips, but she was prepared to take all the time needed to be able to best them.

The assortment of daggers was staggering; she’d never seen so many shapes sizes and lengths. Careful of the sharp edges she ran her fingers along the hilts and blades, feeling the smooth hand of the leather, or caressing the cold steel. Several times she reached in to pick one up and tested the weight in her hand. All of the longer ones she discarded right off, they felt too heavy, too much like a sword.

Finally her hands closed around a blade longer than her hands and arrow straight. The hilt seemed made for her hands and she preformed what she hoped was an appropriate thrust. It felt right, the blade felt natural..this was the one.

“I..I think this is the one.” Looking up at Visar she couldn’t help but smile. She’d chosen weapons, and none of them made her feel any less herself. She was still Adela Naurel, twin, trouble maker, and scamp, but soon she would be deadly. Perhaps it would take years before she approached deadly, she amended in her mind, but she would certainly no longer be easy meat once she learned to use these.

“I..I think this is the one.”

Visar inspected the dagger, and nodded.  "It suits you well." he said.

"You can grip it like this." Visar showed her how to grip it in forward grip, with the knuckles of the fingers down and the thumb on the side towards the blade.  "Or this." Visar slowly shifted his grip so that Adela could see how the transition was done, and now he gripped it overhand, the thumb by the pommel and the knuckles of the fingers up.  "The forward grip can give you greater reach and versatile, snapping cuts which can do quite a bit of damage.  If you're ever in a duel with someone else with a dagger, you'll want to be in this grip.  But the reverse grip has its uses too, giving you powerful, lethal thrusts at the upper body, and it's easier to defend against other weapons with this.  Use the reverse grip when fighting a longer weapon or someone in armor or thick clothing."

Visar gave her the dagger back, and drew his own against the air, showing her how to thrust and parry with the reverse grip, and then switching to the forward grip, adding thrusts and snapping cuts.  He then showed Adela how to care for the steel, how to sharpen the blade if necessary, and general advice on how to avoid rust and dulling.

"Now...you do have three weapons already, but how about getting a proper pole-weapon to match your staff?  You can take both a staff and a pole-arm and I'll let you count it as one."

Visar led Adela back to where hundreds upon hundreds of pole-arms stood.  There were light, throwing spears shorter than a person, and heavy pikes longer than three people stood on top of each other.  There were small stabbing blades, long, sword-like blades, axe blades, and all sorts of varying gruesome varieties of death on a pole.  Some of them, with their protruding hooks and hammers and axes and spikes, made even Visar uncomfortable just looking at them.

• 2 weeks later...

Del was not sure how she felt about a pole arm, but she finally chose one a little taller than herself. The blade was not thick, but the end would be razor sharp. Laying it out with the other weapons she’d selected she was anxious to begin to learn their use. For the first time since arriving in Tar Valon she was…excited to train.

“Are these the only weapons I am too choose for today? If so I would love to start learning more of their use.”

“Are these the only weapons I am too choose for today? If so I would love to start learning more of their use.”

Visar nodded.  "You may choose these three to take with you out of here, and I include the staff as a practice tool for your weapon there. (ooc: which is a?...halberd? spear?)"

Visar paused, and gestured towards the as yet unexplored rows of swords, shields, armor of all sorts toward the forge side, and other weapons they had not looked at yet.  He did his best to show a patient expression.  Being thorough and sure of oneself was better than missing out on a weapon that might be a more suitable choice.

"If you wish to examine some of the other weapons here, you may do so as well, and I can show you how to clean and take care of them, but you're free to go if you've settled on your decision.  Ah, and if you wish to borrow any armor, from leather to full plate, you may speak to the smiths in the forge and they can fit you for it; though getting a plate harness could cost you a lot from your pocket, even to borrow one that actually fits you.  If not, then I wish you many months of good training, and I'll help you if I have the time."