DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

One Hit Wonders - Do You Agree? (DISCUSSION)

Corki

Some of you may be wondering what have been my sources for all my "One Hit Wonders". Below I will post the link to where I have been getting the songs.

http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-hit_wonder (yes, I know it is wikipedia, the "most reliable" source on the net)

http://www.philbrodieband.com/muso-charts-one-hit-wonders.htm

There are plenty of places on the internet. Classifying a song as a "One Hit Wonder" isn't easy as highlighted by the discussion on the subject on wikipedia. Most of the songs I have chosen can fall in the category, but I know Majsju has questioned my call on The Final Countdown by Europe.

Do you think the songs I have chosen fall into this category? Are those songs on the links I have provided suitable "one hit wonders"? Are there any missing?

Pretty much. People who became fans of an artist or band will always find exception, but I think one-hit wonder doesn't mean "They only had one song". To me it means "They had one totally awesome, culturally significant song!"

You've now cited your references, my inner teacher is pleased ^_^!

Final Countdown is most definitely a one hit wonder.  i would define it as a single song by a band that gains commercial and popular success.  Also, no one knows any other songs by that same band.  I couldn't name one other Europe song, nor could most people unless they looked it up for that specific purpose.

Same with Breakfast at Tiffany's, We Built This City, and Every Rose Has It's Thorn

A few words on Europe.

Looking at their career, it becomes clear that they had other successful songs than The Final Countdown. Take Carrie as an example. Released the same year, peaking at #3 on the Billboard, where The Final Countdown only reached #8.

Out Of This World, the album that followed The Final Countdown, sold platinum in the US (and peaked at #19 on the Billboard). All in all, they have sold over 20 million albums worldwide, with The Final Countdown (album, not single) standing for about 1/3 of those albums.

So, we are talking about a band that has had a great deal of success apart from the greatest hit.

And Krak, I would not take how many songs someone can name as a sign of anything. Pick a random teenager on the street, and ask him how many Morrissey songs he can name. I would be shocked if he got even one (but tha might be a sign of my disappointemtn in todays youth ;D)

I don't know who Morrisey is, but I could probably name off the five most successful songs from Blue Oyster Cult, or Steppenwolf. Just saying Maj, todays youth isn't all that disappointing. There are some exeptions lol ;D

Archived