DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Harry Potter. Book 7 very weird choices in it

magnutz

with Sirius, most of the disgruntlement comes from how he was killed. not that fact he was killed. the actual pont of Siriuses death was two fold. for Harry to experience an emotional death and character building on this angle of a parental figure; and becuase for Harry to succeed in sacrificing himself at the end all his protective figures must be gone. this is a main reason why DD not only died but stayed dead (instead of pulling a gandolf like alot in the fandom expected).

I see your point, but for me I think that sometimes just random deaths in a story is a good thing, as death in real life often is random with little or no meaning behind it. Sure some die because they rush in and save a family from a burning building but most get hit by a car, get sick or in other ways just die. To have a story where not all character deaths are deep and meaningful is very different but for me add realism. I can clearly see reasons why a given character dies in the storyline, but for me the deaths do not feel constructed anyways, and some deaths did come as genuine surprises, I mean in many stories you can tell from the start which character will live and who will die but in Harry Potter these predictions often where not correct and I consider that to be a good thing.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dunno. i felt that most of the deaths in HP were very predicatble. DD, Harry, Voldy, a Weasley, the Muardaders, Snape, Dobby; these deaths were all predictable and to an extent, excpected if anything, it was the lack of some character deaths that went against death predictions. for instance, alot of the bad guys, like Bella, Draco, Lucius, Greyback. and some of the good guys, like Hagrid, Minerva, more of the Weasleys, Neviles Gram, Ollivander ... i'd say they shoudl have died realistically but they didn't.

the only deaths that were unexpected to me were Hedwig and Tonks; and both of these deaths felt thrown in to beef up the count. Tonks especialy felt contrived to give that stupid full circle of Harrys story.

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked HP, it is the book of my teenage years. And i still love it, cause this is not only for children.

In book 7, there is so many great things, as the story of Dumbledore and his failures, mistakes, that he had to confront and surpass. We do not see him as a unbreakable god anymore, but as a man who finally found wisedom. And Snape choices are brilliant too

Some deaths are questionable but why not ? JKR wanted to tell us a story of war. Many characters have to die, no matter who he/she is. Some could argue that she killed many minor character to offset the fact that she didn't kill the main characters, that is maybe true. (but personnaly, i was really relieved she didn't kill Harry).

For me Fred death was the worst (poor Georges...) , but this is not pointless. If nobody had died, what would have been the point of this story of resistance. With those deaths, we know that the living will never forget this battle, and why they fought.

Archived