DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why is everybody hating on Rand?

okstate91

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rand has realizd that he needs to do more than just kill people.

I understand why people dont like him as much but overall i think Rand is cool. BUT i think RJ should bring back some of the old Rand - killing people, telling people how it is (ie Moiraine and Cadsuane), going a bit loopy, etc. I think RJ is saving the rest of his ideas for Rand until the Last Battle

I think Rand is probably my favorite character in the series. He's far from perfect (which makes him real), but is probably one of the most selfless of any of the characters in the book.

No character has show as much concern for individuals as he has, no matter what they mean to the big picture (with Nynaeve a close second). From the commoners in Tear and Cairhien, to the Aiel, to even, grudgingly, the Aes Sedai (who rarely think about anything but their own self-interest), the future of everyone has concerned him every step of the way. In some ways, he's really the only character who even cares to look past his own circumstance.

As far as arrogance goes, I think it's more frustration at the inability of those around him too look at the big picture the way he does. They are too concerned about their own status, people and/or organizations to understand the idea of sacrifice for a greater good that Rand has accepted because he must.

And even his own need for arrogance bothers him, when he worries about the people he must use to achieve the goal that everyone wants, but no one else knows how to achieve. That he just doesn't through his hands up in the air and say "forget it" is pretty impressive in my eyes.

I used to like Rand untill RJ put his story line kind of on hold and started to develop Perrin and Mat.

But, the same could have been said about either Mat or Perrin in the begining. Rand hasn't been the focus of the story (yeah i know in the grand scheme of things he is the focus of every story being told in this series). Mat and Perrin are being developed and we get snips and glances of Rand as bridge overs between Mat and Perrin.

With that said I think that in MoL the story is going to be equally panned out between the Trinity and we are all going to go back to the first 4 books and pick up our admiration for Rand all over again.

I understand what you mean, and without Rand the story seems boring at times but the development of Mat is a good read in my oppinion; RJ seems to have as many ideas for Mats development as he did for Rands. Perrin should get killed in Tarmon Gaidon though. RJ could even spin that in as being the other time Rand would die without Perrin (the first being Dumais Wells)

I really like Rand, but I often feel sad about Rand. I disagree that he is "whiny"...the only thing that really is narcissistic is his insistence to himself that he is responsible for his list of women who have died. I don't really consider that whining - just a symptom of the fact that he needs to learn how to mourn and move on (as discussed in the post on his "lesson" from Cadsuane). I agree that he is the most selfless character by far and that much of his arrogance is necessary because he is so often surrounded by so many idiots (it's just a little frustrating that he treats the non-idiots the same way too much)

I was happy to see some of the developments in KoD...mainly those involving the fact that he seemed to be really communicating more with the people around him (e.g. when he reveals one of his answers from the Ter'angreal doorway during the discussion on the Seanchan alliance). I have always thought that communication is decidedly lacking in Randland (they need a moderator...and not a silly Aes Sedai Gray :roll: ).

I think many people have stopped liking Rand because either 1) they are tired of feeling sad about how hard such a nice young man has become or 2) they are tired of his bungling manner in many of his action scenes (e.g. his carefully planned and complete failure of a plan against Sammael and his losing his hand to Semirhage when he had ample warning there was something weird going on...).

Now before you attack me for saying he bungles things, let me just say that he is a very young man and entitled to screw up every once in a while and furthermore that I don't hold it against him...it certainly makes the story more realistic that his plans are not infallible. All I am saying about that is much of his action has involved his non-infallibility and that this is probably frustrating mahy of the people who do not like Rand.

But Rand isn't basically invincible. He just thinks he is, and therein lies part of his problem. He's only human, and he needs to remember that.

What I mean is that he's not going to have a fight with a pack of trolloc and a fade and have the reader worried at all about his safety. For example an entire army of trollocs and Fades attacked Rand in the last book, which would normally be considered some pretty good action, yet its been basically forgotten because Rand and Co squashed them all like they were bugs. Until Rand starts invading the Blight and runs around having One Power battles with Asha'man and Forsaken there's not much action to be had with Rand (and even those might not have much action. The way Rand killed Sammual and Rahvin wasn't exactly action packed).

I like Rand a lot. But he is not my favorite character.

What I really like about his story line is that he is developing into someone else. The Rand we met in EOTW is very far away. But sometimes we see a glimpse of the younger Rand.

I also like his 'fight' with Lewis Therin, I wonder who is going to win....

Rand's the best character in the whole freaking series and not liking him is frankly pathetic. He is the main character and he has to pay the price for salvation. Which is why it's such a crime that he's on TWO FREAKING PAGES in COT- and barely better than that in KOD and WH. Jordan's just got to far away from his star character. (Remember tEotW?)MOL is going to have to concentrate on Rand or the series will in the end be a waste.

Okay true his personality has changed... but I think anyone's would if they had the whole world riding on there shoulders. That is a lot of pressure and I think to relieve some of that stress and pressure he has to be cold and hard. He certainly has taken on the "death is light as a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" very seriously. I always thought it was sad how he lost his innocence... I do not dislike him for it.. I pity him. Rand has always been one of my favorite characters to read about (slow chapters or not)because he has such an internal struggle going on. I mean I cried (literally) when at the end of CoS (I think this the book this happens in... I could be mistaken)when he poisons one of the Ashaman cradling him in his arms in front of Mazrim basically to show how hard he can be. I mean I cannot speak for other people but I truly do care what happens to these characters and Rand's coldness is sad rather than annoying. I am excited to see Cadusuane (sp?) and Sorlia (sp?) to teach him out to laugh and cry again. I mean yes he needs to be tough for the last battle but I think he needs that human love and emotion so that he will have the drive to defeat the dark one. Rand needs to LOVE the world to SAVE it.

Actually it is. No character with a personality like Jesus' could succeed in the last battle. It'd be the same as expecting Ghandi to win the Last Battle.

Rand's a warrior, its the nature of his role. Jesus was a spiritual leader... someone who came to aid the spiritual wellbeing of his people. Rand doesn't give too hoots about the ideological state of those following him. If Rand were like Jesus it would spell catastrophy for the Light.

Jesus? ... really? ... come on.

Rand needs to forgive himself for "not" being like Jesus. Rand will not be able to save everyone. "Win The Last Battle" ... maybe ... but save everyone, no.

He will make mistakes, he is not "The Creator", he must learn to accept that and not to allow guilt over the past and the possibility of making the wrong decisions in the future destroy his ability to react as he must. He is The Dragon Reborn, that's good enough.

Archived