DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moriane's Role in the New Books

bugsyhawk

I would say thats a great reason why the forsaken would lie to Rand and say he was mad. It serves their purposes.

Refute when you're ready. Just bear in mind that that is also a great reason why she would tell the truth - that could also serve her purposes.

And most importantly bear in mind that Semi scared her guards in AOL so much, to actually free her themselves, so she uses fear and mind games to her advantage, shocking that she is doing the same, even more shocking that you use what she said as proof that Rand is mad. Maybe if you had a more reliable witness with more reason too be honest I would be more inclined to believe LTT was a madness, as it is, anything Semi said cannot be used as evidence, unless you want to deny who she is?
You said it yourself - she uses fear and mind games. But not, so far as we have seen, dishonesty when she doesn't need it. She was, in fact, very honest about who she was. If the truth serves as well or better than a lie, why lie? You have not provided a reason to lie that is not also a reason to tell the truth. And everything else she said was true.

Lews Therin in Rand's head is a form of madness.

Well, you've not done much of a job of backing up the statement I asked you to, but: She references Graendal as an expert on the mind, and better able to explain it than herself, which is true. She references Lanfear saying he knew things only LTT could, which is again true as he did say things Rand was unlikely to know to "Mierin".

OK so you wanted some proof that LTT isn't a form of madness, so I am more then happy to give you some, this is a quote direct from Graendal whom we all know to be the best living expert in the field relating to this subject

TFOH-Prologue-The First Sparks To Fall

"Lanfear's dark eyes glittered for a moment before she regained control of herself. "He may be Lews Therin reborn, but he is not Lews Therin himself."

"How do you know?" Graendal asked, smiling as if it were a joke. "It may well be that, as many believe, all are born and reborn as the Wheel turns, but nothing like this has ever happened that i have read. A specific man reborn according to prophecy. Who knows what he is?"

So there you go, Graendal has never heard of this before, no mention of it being a form of any madness there, which means that Semi lied, which also means that you have no proof that LTT is a form of any madness.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say thats a great reason why the forsaken would lie to Rand and say he was mad. It serves their purposes.

Refute when you're ready. Just bear in mind that that is also a great reason why she would tell the truth - that could also serve her purposes.

And most importantly bear in mind that Semi scared her guards in AOL so much, to actually free her themselves, so she uses fear and mind games to her advantage, shocking that she is doing the same, even more shocking that you use what she said as proof that Rand is mad. Maybe if you had a more reliable witness with more reason too be honest I would be more inclined to believe LTT was a madness, as it is, anything Semi said cannot be used as evidence, unless you want to deny who she is?
You said it yourself - she uses fear and mind games. But not, so far as we have seen, dishonesty when she doesn't need it. She was, in fact, very honest about who she was. If the truth serves as well or better than a lie, why lie? You have not provided a reason to lie that is not also a reason to tell the truth. And everything else she said was true.

Lews Therin in Rand's head is a form of madness.

Well, you've not done much of a job of backing up the statement I asked you to, but: She references Graendal as an expert on the mind, and better able to explain it than herself, which is true. She references Lanfear saying he knew things only LTT could, which is again true as he did say things Rand was unlikely to know to "Mierin".

OK so you wanted some proof that LTT isn't a form of madness, so I am more then happy to give you some, this is a quote direct from Graendal whom we all know to be the best living expert in the field relating to this subject

TFOH-Prologue-The First Sparks To Fall

"Lanfear's dark eyes glittered for a moment before she regained control of herself. "He may be Lews Therin reborn, but he is not Lews Therin himself."

"How do you know?" Graendal asked, smiling as if it were a joke. "It may well be that, as many believe, all are born and reborn as the Wheel turns, but nothing like this has ever happened that i have read. A specific man reborn according to prophecy. Who knows what he is?"

So there you go, Graendal has never heard of this before, no mention of it being a form of any madness there, which means that Semi lied, which also means that you have no proof that LTT is a form of any madness.

You misunderstand you own quote, APTL. Look, I will show you.

"It may well be that, as many believe, all are born and reborn as the Wheel turns, but nothing like this has ever happened that i have read. A specific man reborn according to prophecy. Who knows what he is?"

She doesnt say shes never heard of a man hearing a real voice before AT ALL. She doesnt even try saying that. What she says is that she has never heard of a prophecy mentioning a specific persons rebirth. In other words, until the prophecies of the Dragon & Dragon Reborn, no prophecy she has heard of ever mentioned the rebirth of a specific person. It might mention somebody who has been reborn, but it has never acknowledged the rebirth as part of a prophecy linked to the previous incarnation like we have with the Dragon being Reborn to break and save the world again.

Try again.

OptimusPrime is right.  Graendal only mentions that it is a unique situation to have a specific soul being reborn according to prophecy.  She says nothing about hearing real voices from past lives.  You are trying to make a connection that doesn't exist.

She also says nothing about it being a form of madness. Given her knowledge wouldn't you think she would.

Not necessarily.  She is talking about the prophecy and arguing with Lanfear over whether Rand could be Lews Therin himself, not just Lews Therin reborn.  In fact, it seems an awful lot like she is manipulating Lanfear here by playing off her Lews-Therin-insecurities.

Pale, the quote says nothing about LTT being a voice in his head. She is talking about him being reborn according to prophecy. By that she means that she has never before heard of someone predicting a persons rebirth. Before, it has always just happened and maybe historians would be able to piece together someones past lives due to behavior (like Thom with Birgitte).

Graendal at this point has no inkling of whats going on in Rand's head. She is just talking about his soul being reborn. Why would she feel the need to go into a long detailed explanation of how hearing a person's voice in your head is a form of insanity when shes not even on the subject?

But I forget, you are ignoring me, so I just wasted about 5 minutes.

The point i was making is that Graendal has never dealt with this before, this is the only time we have proof of what shes thinks, if she has dealt with real voices in peoples heads would they not be souls who have been reborn?, also i'd like to ask what you think of Rand dreaming LTT's dreams.

Padraic I have replied to a couple of your posts since then as well ;D

if she has dealt with real voices in peoples heads would they not be souls who have been reborn?
They might be, or they might not, from her point of view. So this says nothing about LTT being a form of madness, because it just doesn't touch on it.

OptimusPrime is right.  Graendal only mentions that it is a unique situation to have a specific soul being reborn according to prophecy.  She says nothing about hearing real voices from past lives.  You are trying to make a connection that doesn't exist.

Have you read KoD? Semirhages revelation tells us Graendal acknowledged Rands situation-knowing things inly LTT could-to be a form of madness. Semirhage said... Lanfear said Rand knew things only LTT could, and that confirms Rands rare madness of hearing a real voice; the fact that its a real voice confirms that its a certain type of madness Graendal had encountered before. Semirhage wasnt lying because Lanfear did know that Rand does things, and madness describes Rands situation with LTT extremely well.

if she has dealt with real voices in peoples heads would they not be souls who have been reborn?
They might be, or they might not, from her point of view. So this says nothing about LTT being a form of madness, because it just doesn't touch on it.

They are reborn though, thats how Graendal knew it was the rare type of madness. If the voice isnt real its common madness, if it is real its the past-life-mindlink madness Rand has.

She also says nothing about it being a form of madness. Given her knowledge wouldn't you think she would.

How often do the Forsaken give Graendal a chance to reveal something like this in their meetings? And how often do we see Graendals PoV? And how often does she acknowledge Rands mental situation in those rare PoVs? Its not like Graendal walks about every second of the day thinking "Al'Thor has a madness that makes Lews Therins mind reawaken, Al'Thor has a madness that makes Lews Therins mind reawaken, Al'Thor has a madness that makes Lews Therins mind reawaken" so no, we havent had any direct hints from her. Thats doesnt change the facts though, and to use that as a valid point against it is like basing a non-Darkfriend-Taim theory on a lack of specific mention from Moridin.

Bottom line is this, shes never dealt with anyone in Rand's position, but has actually clarified for us the reader that it is not madness even though we see what Rand starts to believe is his madness.

Graendal has, she just hasnt heard of a prophecy mentioning two incarnations of the same soul. Semirhage tells us what Graendal told Lanfear, and that explanation sits extremely well-better than extremely well-with absolutely everything that ever happened between Rand and Lews Therin. Do you not believe Semirhages explanation in KoD? Because I find it impossible to believe RJ or any author would attempt to lead us down such an extremely convincing false trail in what they intended to be the second to last book. Revelations happen near the ends of long sagas, not new mysteries involving one of the longest unanswered questions.

The point i was making is that Graendal has never dealt with this before, this is the only time we have proof of what shes thinks, if she has dealt with real voices in peoples heads would they not be souls who have been reborn?, also i'd like to ask what you think of Rand dreaming LTT's dreams.

Padraic I have replied to a couple of your posts since then as well ;D

Pale, I think you misunderstand the quote. Graendal says that she has never encountered a soul being reborn according to prophecy. She has encountered a soul being reborn though. Everyone in the WoT world has, because everyone in the WoT world is a soul reborn. They are just not reborn according to prophecies.

If she had never encountered a soul reborn to prophecy then she doesn't understand the dynamics, she has never studied Rand. Padraic and Optimus you keep saying the same thing, what evidence do you have that LTT is a form of madness, apart from 1.Semi said Graendal said. 2.Taint. nothing there to back up that its from the taint.

If she had never encountered a soul reborn to prophecy then she doesn't understand the dynamics, she has never studied Rand. Padraic and Optimus you keep saying the same thing, what evidence do you have that LTT is a form of madness, apart from 1.Semi said Graendal said. 2.Taint. nothing there to back up that its from the taint.

I've said before there are other factors in his life that could cause him to go mad. But the Taint had to have helped them along. The Taint magnifies already unstable parts of the mind, making him go faster into madness. She has encountered people with real voices in their heads before. It is a separate thing from a soul being reborn according to prophecy. The only thing they have in common is dealing with the same person in this case. The person that hears a real voice might just be some happy-go-lucky villager that one day starts hearing his past life's voice. The person reborn according to a prophecy, is Rand. In this case, they are one and the same. But the reborn according to prophecy has never before happened to Graendals knowledge. The past life voice has.

I've said before there are other factors in his life that could cause him to go mad. But the Taint had to have helped them along. The Taint magnifies already unstable parts of the mind, making him go faster into madness. She has encountered people with real voices in their heads before. It is a separate thing from a soul being reborn according to prophecy. The only thing they have in common is dealing with the same person in this case. The person that hears a real voice might just be some happy-go-lucky villager that one day starts hearing his past life's voice. The person reborn according to a prophecy, is Rand. In this case, they are one and the same. But the reborn according to prophecy has never before happened to Graendals knowledge. The past life voice has.

When Graendal made this quote it was before Rand heard LTT's voice i always took it as foreshadowing, like i said in a previous quote he mentioned having LTT's dreams, thats more then a mental problem, as he gets stronger in the power so does LTT, Rand thinking he is mad gives LTT more power to take him over.

Bottom line is this, shes never dealt with anyone in Rand's position, but has actually clarified for us the reader that it is not madness even though we see what Rand starts to believe is his madness.

No, we have not been told that it is not madness, and have been given ample reason to believe it is. Semi's comments only confirm what we already knew.

The Taint isnt the universal cause of this madness because Graendal has encountered it before. She couldnt possibly have encountered it after being free from the Dark Ones prison, meaning she had to encounter it before she ws sealed, before the Taint exists. I never said it was just caused by the Taint. Rands madness is partially Taint, partially several other potential things, but the cause isnt the issue. Were looking at the madness itself.

Lets break this down. When Semirhage mentioned Lanfear and Graendal in KoD, she said two things. 1) She said that Lanfear told Graendal that Rand knew things only Lews Therin knew. This is true, Rand does have LTT memories, so she wasnt lying there. 2) Semirhage also said that Graendal said Rand is hearing a real voice, which confirms to her that Rand has a specific kind of insanity, one that makes you hear a real voice, the voice of who you were in your past life. Now, on part 2 firstly we can be reasonably sure that Lews Therin really is real; firstly because not only does he react to what Rand sees when he sees it, he also provides Rand with accurate information. Some of which only certain people (Lanfear, for example) could verify, others which Rand could verify himself (breaking the shield placed on him when in the box). Secondly regarding part 2, Graendal was a famous psychologist in the Age of Legends, known to be able to deal with mental afflictions that couldnt be Healed with the Power. Considering that Graendal knows about this and wouldnt benefit personally from lying about this, on top of the fact that she acknowledged it as a real voice, which most people believe, and even more on top that this scene was in the supposed second to last book, we can put a decent wager on it being truth. Even if we couldnt see how the explanation fits absolutely everything about Rand and Lews Therin.

Explain the Lews Therin situation better if you can APTL. Well, I should say try, because there isnt a better explanation. If I suddenly started hearing a voice in my head I'd be paranoid that I was crazy; if I experienced memories of places Ive never been I would be sure; if I started saying things I didnt know about without thinking, Im sure people would start asking questions. If the voice told me things that were true, I'd consider that I had split personality like the main guy in Fight club, that I was doing things without realising. If that voice was able to take control of a certain aspect of me-like my fictional ability to channel-then I'd be scared and ask to be put in a god dam mental institute. And then if after all that someone said I was hearing the voice of my past life, and that it was a form of madness I would tend o believe them, especially of theyre an expert and they just gave an explanation that cant be faulted.

In order for me to consider that it isnt a madness form I will have to hear a convincing explanation as to why the voice is there, whether real or not. And it isnt because Rand is simply the saviour of the world, not unless theres some sort of explanation brhind it. Like, for example, it being a form of madness that causes your past lifes mind to resurface.

>insert better explanation here<

That was quite a long post, but all it really says is because Semi told us Graendal said so. If you started hearing wolves or had dice rattling in your head you would think you're mad too, they aren't, he isn't. Wolves in head=rare condition, Being reborn according to prophecy=Rarer condition

The other Wolfbrother started acting like he was a wolf. Not Elyas, the other guy we saw early on. Is he mad? Yes, he thinks hes a wolf. Perrin was paranoid at one point that he would start acting like that. Do you think the other guy who thought he was a wolf isnt mad, insane? It could be called a madness, to think you are a wolf when you are a human being. Perrin isnt mad because he doesnt think hes a wolf and despite that it can benefit him he shuns the ability, a very human reaction to something so supernatural. Very sane.

The post basically says Graendal said so, we have reason to believe that neither she nor Semirhage were lying because the things both give us a good explanation of what has been happening. Mat figures out that that the dice are a warning signal. Nothing about them gives him any form of trouble, they dont take over his thoughts, and he has recognised that they occur when something significant is happening.

Rand has problems with Lews Therin; he doesnt just benefit from the memories. imagine when Rand is channeling, usually he consciously opens himself to the source, it is something he has to do deliberately with his mind. If the consciousness of his past life, a remnant that resurfaced that is connected to Rand MIND (as in, the thoughts are memories are no longer as seperate as they were, definitely less seperate than they should be) begins to channel through Rand when Rand himself didnt o the reaching out to the Source, what better explanation is there for this MENTAL ISSUE other than madness?

If you were given one of seven items that sealed the devil away, and it was your task to keep them safe, what explanation is there that can tell us why you would suddenly start hearing the voice of your past life saying "BREAK IT BREAK IT BREAK IT" and you then realise you had been saying that yourself as well, and you were poised to smash it on the ground, and you didnt even notice? Do you not think that is a mental problem, when by that time Rand knew the importance of those seals? Do you not think that as well as everything else this doesnt mean Lews Therin is a form of madness, despite it being confirmed by Semirhage quoting Graendal? Graendal is probably the only person who could ever answer this question for us and again I feel the need to say that this explanation was given in KoD, the intended penultimate book, a book in which more false trails on things like this are unlikely to be introduced.

I am dying to hear another explanation. Anything that might be convincing. Anything at all.

The other Wolfbrother started acting like he was a wolf. Not Elyas, the other guy we saw early on. Is he mad? Yes, he thinks hes a wolf. Perrin was paranoid at one point that he would start acting like that. Do you think the other guy who thought he was a wolf isnt mad, insane? It could be called a madness, to think you are a wolf when you are a human being. Perrin isnt mad because he doesnt think hes a wolf and despite that it can benefit him he shuns the ability, a very human reaction to something so supernatural. Very sane.

But Elyas isn't mad and yet we know he has had this "madness" alot longer then your example, and he talks to them.

The post basically says Graendal said so, we have reason to believe that neither she nor Semirhage were lying because the things both give us a good explanation of what has been happening. Mat figures out that that the dice are a warning signal. Nothing about them gives him any form of trouble, they dont take over his thoughts, and he has recognised that they occur when something significant is happening.

So Rang going deeper into insanity in the next book isn't a reason why they might say this, consider this quote

The world and the forces of the Light are in bad shape. At this point, boys and girls, the Shadow is winning. There are glimmers of hope, but only glimmers, and they MUST pay off for the Light to win. All the Shadow needs for victory is for matters to keep on as they have been going thus far and one or two of those glimmers to fade or be extinguished. The forces of the Light are on the ropes, and they don’t even know everything the Dark One has up his sleeve.

Things are looking bad for the light, why would Semi lie*shakes head*

Rand has problems with Lews Therin; he doesnt just benefit from the memories. imagine when Rand is channeling, usually he consciously opens himself to the source, it is something he has to do deliberately with his mind. If the consciousness of his past life, a remnant that resurfaced that is connected to Rand MIND (as in, the thoughts are memories are no longer as seperate as they were, definitely less seperate than they should be) begins to channel through Rand when Rand himself didnt o the reaching out to the Source, what better explanation is there for this MENTAL ISSUE other than madness?

Being a soul reborn and the stronger in the power you get the less control you have especially if you believe you are mad and paranoid.

If you were given one of seven items that sealed the devil away, and it was your task to keep them safe, what explanation is there that can tell us why you would suddenly start hearing the voice of your past life saying "BREAK IT BREAK IT BREAK IT" and you then realise you had been saying that yourself as well, and you were poised to smash it on the ground, and you didnt even notice? Do you not think that is a mental problem, when by that time Rand knew the importance of those seals?

LTT is quite mad, yes.

Do you not think that as well as everything else this doesnt mean Lews Therin is a form of madness, despite it being confirmed by Semirhage quoting Graendal? Graendal is probably the only person who could ever answer this question for us and again I feel the need to say that this explanation was given in KoD, the intended penultimate book, a book in which more false trails on things like this are unlikely to be introduced.

False trails? Rand was a farmer at the beginning of TEOTW, should he have started the book as the dragon reborn? We have had Rand hearing LTT since TFOH, a lot has to change for him and its going to get worse before it gets better, unless your saying he learns laughter and tears when he goes deeper into his self deluded insanity(helped by Semi and Graendal of course)??

Oh my God APTL do you misunderstand for the sake of it? When you said "Lews Therin is mad, yes" tell me how the hell that explains why Rand was about to break the seal himself without realising. Tell me why he acted like Lews Therin in that scene, if not for madness I am proving to you.

Comparing Elyas' lack of insanity to Rands insanity cant be done at all. Elyas doesnt have wolves invading his mind or ability to channel. He has accepted his gift, learned to use it safely, and therefore cant be compared to Rand because he isnt insane. You brought Elyas into this argument, not me.

Semirhage didnt lie, thats my whole god dam point. She told us something about Rand and Lews Therin, something you cant seem to accept, let alone change.

Rand is as strong as you can get in the Power. Lews Therin cant possibly be stronger because the channeler strength is soul-related meaning Rand and Lews Therin are exactly the same.

The part about false trails... Rand didnt know who he was in EotW, which is absolutely irrelevant to this debate. I am saying RJ put an explanation regarding Rands situation in KoD and none of us, not even you, should ignore it. It was too near the end of the series and too accurate an explanatin for most of us to ignore.

Still waiting for that better explanation.

If you started hearing wolves or had dice rattling in your head you would think you're mad too.
And you might be. But, in the cases of Perrin and Mat, they are not. Rand is, though.

why would Semi lie?
For the same reason she would tell the truth. But Semi confirms what we already strongly suspected, and provides accurate information to back it up. So we have every reason to believe it is true, and none to believe it is false.

Then what? your assumptions.

1.I never compared Rand and Elyas, you just did

2. I brought up talking too wolves, not Elyas, you did

3. LTT was apparantley one of the strongest but he was older when he died and how do you know they are the same strength now?

Still waiting for an explanation from you, because as this post proves(read what was said previous) your making stuff up.

1.I never compared Rand and Elyas, you just did

2. I brought up talking too wolves, not Elyas, you did

3. LTT was apparantley one of the strongest but he was older when he died and how do you know they are the same strength now?

Still waiting for an explanation from you, because as this post proves(read what was said previous) your making stuff up.

Regarding point 2 yes I mentioned Elyas specifically but you brought Wolfbrothers into it. I mentioned him as I had explained Perrin and we dont know the other one. Regarding point 3, good point. I never thought that Rand may get stronger still, my bad on that bit.

Then what? your assumptions.

Better than my theory. Theories are assumptions made based on facts and potential facts, the validity of which can be disputed if a fault is found with an element of the theory or a more realistic theory is presented. I am still waiting for a better explanation my theory-an assumption based on many facts from the books and a distinct lack of alternative theories or evidence against.

There is nothing in the books-NOTHING-that say I am wrong. We even have the only qualified person in the whole series agreeing with me. At first it seemed Cadsuane was qualified until she

How can you say you're still waiting from an explanation from me? I have given it, here it is again.

Rand has a certain type of madness that caused Lews Therins mind to resurface gradually. As a result of this, Rands mind starts to gain memories from Lews Therin. It started with Rand mentioning things he doesnt know about, things even Asmodean knew which is more proof that it is real. Then we had Rand not recognising his own name-there is a time when Mat keeps shouting Rand and he doesnt answers but Mat says Lews Therin and Rand turns around. Then we had an actual voice, at first appearing not to be real but later reacting to what Rand sees, replying to Rands thoughts. Later still, Lews Therin shows the same signs Rand is with the memories. Lews Therin thought it was him who killed Ishamael. And then we get to Lews Therin, the consciousness of a dead man, siezing Saidin through Rands ability to channel despite it normally being a conscious thing from Rand (ignoring the wildness of the mind, Cadsuane identifies that as a trait of insane male channelers but it isnt relevant to Lews Therin). And we also have Rand becoming able to draw without practicing, and through Lews Therins memories Rand knows Lews Therin was a good drawer. The fact that Rand gained that small skill, that small change in Rands mind, is one of the direst signs of Rand becoming more like Lews Therin. Drawing as a skill that requires good judgement as well as a steady hand, and the fact that Rand gained the judgement from Lews Therin should be noted as a strong point that Rands mind is becoming more and more like Lews Therins. If Rand gained his drawing judgement, how long till he gets the judgement of other things? How long till he acts 100% like Lews Therin? It is definitely on the table, to deny so would require a very good excuse that must encompass several books.

Lews Therin is Rands madness because Rand shouldnt be hearing anyone elses thoughts, remembering anyone elses memories, gaining other peoples creative abilities, or generally acting like anyone else.

Do you have any theories/ideas on why Lews Therin is in Rands head, APTL? I'd like to hear them if you do.

Archived