DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The fisher game

What more awesome...  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What more awesome...

• Star Wars
    • Star Trek

Moridin plays an ancient game, with the fisher king. A figure which for the shadow is very power but if controlled by the light is fast and agile. In order to win you have to have the fisher in your possetion and move it to the other side of the game board.

Now my question:

Is Rand (or LTT) the fisher and is the game connected to the real world? And if so what goal would the shadow need to achive while controlling Rand?

Verin once thought that she would "keep the boy alive until it is time for him to die"...

Let the specualtions begin...

Guest cwestervelt

There are the regularly mentioned parallels between Rand and the "Fisher King" of Grail Legend, and I think it unliquely that Jordan would introduce another instance of the "Fisher King" without there being a connection of some sort. In the case of the game, it isn't physical, it is representational. Whoever has the King wins the game. Whoever controls the Dragon Reborn wins the Last Battle. There is also the obvious parallel to how Rand is jumping from one point of the world to the other, never staying long in the same place. If anyone needed one, that is a clear indication of which side he is on. Simply having control of Rand is enough for the Shadow to win the Last Battle. This happens not because of what he can do for them so much as what the Light cannot do without him.

I don't see anything strange in Verin's comments. To be honest, when I read your post my first thought was Elaida that is the one who said it. The comment merely reflects the generally accepted 3rd Ager belief (and often sincerly desire) that the Dragon Reborn dies in the Last Battle. I don't think it is any more peculiar than Alivia going to help him die.

its interesting to note that legend says the land could never be healthy when the fisher king was wounded,that he was tied dierectly to the land,(and the land is one with the dragon reborn;prophecy)maybe rands wounds have to be healed.there are also the ties between the discription of the fisher king and rand,his sword(callandor),the cauldren(bowl of winds),the crown(crown of swords)...

Guest cwestervelt

Moridin doesn't necessarily know that the Fisher is connected to Rand. He is was more than a little angry about information being lost, and that anger is triggered by his contemplation of the Fisher.

Prologue to The Path of Daggers

The Fisher was always worked as a man, a bandage blinding his eyes and one had pressed to his side, a few drops of blood dripping through his fingers. The reasons, like the source of the name, where lost in the mist of time. That troubled him sometimes, enraged him, what knowledge might be lost in the turnings of the Wheel, knowledge he needed, knowledge he had a right to. A right

Well, since it is clear that randland is our world and that the Fisher king is most likely a distant memory of rand it is quite amazing that the memory survived a full 7 ages cycle all the way into the age it originated from. All other events were completely forgotten in that time.

Guest Majsju

If the Fisher is supposed to be based on a memory of rand, it has to have gone through the whole circle, all 7 spokes.

The game actually sounds a little bit like chess and archeologics tell us that the chess game is over 3000 years old. I think the King fisher game was something that was invented a previous turn of the wheel and survived into this turning... Because some things are there again when the wheel has completed the full turn,... like the philosopher from Cairhien (can´t recall his name I think it was Herid Fel) told Rand that the sealing of the bore has to be made like the rest of the sealing in order to bore through it at the appropriate time again in the next turn of the wheel...

Archived