DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[TV] Bones

mnwhiterose

Did anyone else watch the finale last night?  Anyone else sorely disappointed by the producers promising to put Bones and Booth in bed, only to get.....that?????

I don't know - weird episode.  Reminded me of Buffy, almost, with the alternate universe.  Like they did that one year where the season finale involved the 1st Slayer after the whole Adam story arc - didn't fit anywhere.

It was acid-trip weird, but saved by the sheer awesomeness of seeing the entire cast rejigged as nightclub staff. Plus the recall of old characters. Plus the many call-outs to the audience. My favourite moments:

* Max Keenan making sinister claims that he and Jared are both working for the Gravedigger.

* Sweets stressing that his band is called the Gormogon, and unlike many think, he personally is not the Gormogon.

* English Intern telling Zack that Zack is the kind of person who goes to jail for a murder he didn't commit.

* Super-Hot Intern as a brooding doorman.

* Jared was badass this episode. The showdown between him and Cam right at the end won top coolness points.

This episode had a certain insane charm for me.

I also enjoyed the cast as a nightclub staff; it had some fun moments, but overall, I was also disappointed.  I didn't see the point, and I just felt like I wanted a 'real' episode.  Sure, Booth and Brennan were together, but it wasn't really them, both in the sense that it wasn't real and in the sense that, even though they were themselves, taking them out of their usual jobs and making them nightclub owners kind of changed who they were, in a way.  It was fun, but it was such a throwaway episode.

:) I have a theory about that. I think it's because 1) Angela is her best friend and would protest against being called by her last name; 2) Zach is very young, and very like her. Calling him by his first name emphasizes her elder and superior status; 3) And therefore she in turn calls Cam by her first name, because to call her by her surname would be acknowledging Cam's superior status.

I really didn't like it much. *sighs* Especially the "Who are you?" at the end.

*lol* Logic has nothing to do with it. It's most likely a purely arbitrary thing based on what the screen writer thought sounded best.  ;)

But continuing with this, I think she calls everyone by their last names as a default choice. She only changes that practice for certain people for specific reasons. She has no reason to make an exception in Hodges' case.  :)

Angela and Cam are her female intimates (in the anthropological sense, not the sexual one).  They are the only females of comparable status with whom she associates.  They are most comfortable with their first names, so that is what Brennan uses.

Zack was (is) her protege, and she has quite a bit of affection for him, though she would never admit it.  It is telling that she consistently called him Zack even before he got his PhD.

Booth, Hodgins, and Sweets get the "last name without honorific" treatment because that seems to be what they prefer ... how many people regularly call Hodgins "Jack", or Booth "Seeley", or Sweets "Lance"?  (Answer: for Hodgins, nobody we've seen: even Angela usually goes with "Hodgins"; for Booth, his brother and his ex; for Sweets, just Daisy).  Booth, Hodgins, and Sweets are all of comparable social status (experts in their fields) so Brennan can give them a non-honorific casual appellation, even if it is with their last name.

For Brennan (dare I say Temperance?) calling Hodgins "Hodgins" and Sweets "Sweets" is just as intimate as calling Cam "Cam".  For Booth ... well, there are other issues there, but calling him Seeley might raise the tension level.

Everyone else gets their social title, Mr., Ms., Dr., whatever.

And come on ... you knew Booth was going to have at least temporary amnesia as soon as they said "brain tumor".

On a wholly separate note ... as soon as I picked up my little nephew after seeing that episode, I began moving him back and forth while saying "You like spatial disorientation, don't you?"  And he grin/slobbered like a cute little fool.

On a wholly separate note ... as soon as I picked up my little nephew after seeing that episode, I began moving him back and forth while saying "You like spatial disorientation, don't you?"  And he grin/slobbered like a cute little fool.

That is so cute! I loved that line.  ;D

I bet you're a great Uncle!  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yuck no, she never really dated Jared; admittedly, mostly because he forced her to doubt Booth's courage, etc, rather than realising dating Booth-lite would be a mistake of epic proportions and tarnish her relationship with the real Booth.

Of every episode of Bones, I liked this one the least.  Not because it was a necessarily terrible episode, though certainly sub-par for Bones' awesome standards, but why the hell would Hart Hanson use a fantasy episode for a season finale?  Particularly when it was hyped so much to fans - it's one thing to surprise fans, another to utterly disappoint them during a season finale.  As for the amnesia plot-line, I'm really hoping this is kept down to post-op fuzziness after brain surgery.  Between Grey's, House, and Bones I got really sick of all the hallucinations.

I think that's what bothered me about it - it wasn't so much that I didn't like the episode; it was definitely fun. But for a season finale, it was a big disappointment. Except for the cliffhanger in the last two seconds, basically nothing really happened.

I've heard a lot of people theorizing that Booth won't actually have amnesia, and that when he said 'Who are you?' it was because he was confused as to which Bones she was - his wife from the dream, or his partner from real life. Because in some interviews where Hart Hanson has previewed Season 5, there's been no word of amnesia. So either it's very short-lived (like resolved in the first episode), or he doens't really have it.

Archived