DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Taim

Dragonsworn

I seem to recall RJ saying that Sammael was dead and gone somewhere, and that he wasn't coming back. I don't remember the source, unfortunately, but I remember it.

Also, didn't Aran'gar think during the Tea Party in KoD that someone was posing as Sammael? I could be wrong there, but from everything we've been told it'd have to be someone posing as him.

The one problem with the Bel'al theory is that he was balefired by Moiraine and we know from Rahvin at least that destroying someone with balefire puts them beyond the reach of even the Dark One's ability to raise.

To my way of thinking, if someone is balefired, even a little bit, they're gone, utterly, finally, dead. You can't be a little bit balefired, in the same way that you can't really be a little bit pregnant, you either are or you're not.

At that point, it's just a question of how far back their previous actions will be undone. Or, as Miracle Max says in the Princess Bride, all you can do then is go through their pockets and look for loose change...

I thought I remembered Lanfear making a statement (or one of them) saying that with balefire if the DO were there and the situation were just perfect, he MIGHT be able to grab their soul and migrate them to a new body. But, the situation had to be perfect.

Sammael was not killed by balefire, not even close. Rand shot the balefire at the Aiel woman (can't remeber her name) and the Mashadar around her. RJ stated that Mashadar was what killed Sammael, not balefire. So the question becomes, can the DO bring someone back who's been killed by the evil in Shadar Logoth. In my opinion, he can. I see no reason why Sammael shouldn't come back, the time is right for a rebirth just before the Last Battle. Other's think the DO isn't powerful enough.

As for Sammael posing as Taim, not unless he snuck in directly after his rebirth, killed Taim, took his form in the Mirror of Mists, and is now posing as Taim. My guess would have to be "no" though, because Taim's been around for A WHILE and has been up to freaky stuff ever since his introduction in LoC. My guess is Sammael is back, and isn't posing as anyone, cause there's not enough time to take over a country. I think he's doing it Moridin style. 8)

USA Today December 12, 2000:

Question from Arsolos: It has been reported that you have confirmed that Sammael died at the end of Crown of Swords. Could you confirm that you have said this and elaborate on whether Rand was correct?

Robert Jordan: Mashadar killed Sammael. Sammael is toast!

So unless RJ is flat out lying to us, Sammael is dead. Any illusions that the characters have that he might still be alive stem from them not having all the information we do as readers available to them.

Kadere: Not sure if you were referring to my post when you mentioned that Sammael was not balefired, I never said he was. I said the Be'lal couldn't be Taim because he'd been balefired. While I guess this is not entirely correct based on some of the quotes posted here, it is highly unlikely.

Sammael was not killed by balefire' date=' not even close. Rand shot the balefire at the Aiel woman (can't remeber her name) and the Mashadar around her. RJ stated that Mashadar was what killed Sammael, not balefire.[/quote']

Rand balefired the ground. This destroyed the ground in the past, allowing Mashadar through--it fits the reasons Jordan describes for not being able to res someone: Sammael was fine, balefire, Sammael died in the past and isn't available to res.

Archived