DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eurovision Song Contest (1983-2008) - It's A Knockout (Winner: Marija Šerifović)

Corki

The "It's A Knockout" for The Worst Single Ever was won by Technohead's I Wanna Be A Hippy. It was awful and beat The Cheeky Girl's The Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum) in the Final. In the 3rd/4th Play-Off, Mr Blobby's self-titled single Mr Blobby beat Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby.

"It's A Knockout" returns this week, and we are sticking with the longer format - and this means there are 16 songs instead of 8! As the Eurovision Song Contest isn't far away for us Europeans, that is the theme for this month's contest. Howeever, it is slightly different in the fact there are two running concurrently, with the two winning tracks going head-to-head. I have done this as there is a distant change in the types of songs for Eurovision, and have chosen 1982 as the cut off point.

As a result of this split, it has made picking songs easier. This half of the draw concentrates on the winning songs between 1983 and 2008. To get a preview of all the songs that have won, you can watch the YouTube links below.

1956 - 1979: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L07yfidvuSQ&

1980 - 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYdYnOBWfKo

"It's a Knockout" - Format

For those of you who have not been involved with a "It's A Knockout" thread before, the rules are quite simple. The Band of the Red Hand is DM's travel and music ORG, and "It's a Knockout" is a knock out competition to find out the winner of the chosen category (past categories include Best Selling Single of 2008, Favourite Christmas Carol). Each day, 2 songs will be posted, along with a link so you can listen to the song if you do not know it, and all you have to do is post which is your favourite song of the two. After a day, the votes will be counted, and the winning song will progress to the next round, until we only have 1 song left as the winner at the end of the competition. It's very simple, so I look forward to seeing you getting involved!

So without further a-do, let the competition begin!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RESULTS

Round 1

1. Molitva by Marija Šerifović (Serbia - 2007) beat Nocturne by Secret Garden (Norway - 1995) (2-1)

2. Ne partez pas sans moi by Céline Dion (Switzerland - 1988) beat My Number One by Helena Paparizou (Greece - 2005) (2-1)

3. Fly on the Wings of Love by The Olson Brothers (Denmark - 2000) beat Believe by Dima Bilan (Russia - 2008) (3-0)

4. La det swinge by Bobbysocks (Norway - 1985) lost to Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi (Finland - 2006) (0-2)

5. The Voice by Eimear Quinn (Ireland - 1996) beat Love Shine a Light by Katrina and the Waves (U.K. - 1997)

6. Fångad av en stormvind by Carola (Sweden - 1991) lost to Wild Dances by Ruslana (Ukraine - 2004) (0-3)

7. I Wanna by Marie N (Latvia - 2002) beat Rock 'n' Roll Kids by Paul Harrington & Charlie McGettigan (Ireland - 1994) (2-0)

8. Take Me to Your Heaven by Charlotte Nilsson (Sweden - 1999) beat Diva by Dana International (Israel - 1998) (3-0)

2nd Round

1. Fly on the Wings of Love by The Olson Brothers (Denmark - 2000) lost to The Voice by Eimear Quinn (Ireland - 1996) (0-3)

2. Wild Dances by Ruslana (Ukraine - 2004) beat Ne partez pas sans moi by Céline Dion (Switzerland - 1988) (3-0)

3. Molitva by Marija Šerifović (Serbia - 2007) beat Take Me to Your Heaven by Charlotte Nilsson (Sweden - 1999) (1-0)

4. Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi (Finland - 2006) lost to I Wanna by Marie N (Latvia - 2002) (1-2)

Semi-Final

1. I Wanna by Marie N (Latvia - 2002) lost to Wild Dances by Ruslana (Ukraine - 2004) (0-2)

2. The Voice by Eimear Quinn (Ireland - 1996) lost to Molitva by Marija Šerifović (Serbia - 2007) (0-3)

3rd/4th Play-off

1. I Wanna by Marie N (Latvia - 2002) lost to The Voice by Eimear Quinn (Ireland - 1996) (1-2)

Final

1. Wild Dances by Ruslana (Ukraine - 2004) lost to Molitva by Marija Šerifović (Serbia - 2007) (1-2)

THE CHOSEN SONGS

1. La det swinge by Bobbysocks (Norway - 1985)

The Norwegian lyrics translate as "Let it swing". It scored 123 points, and claimed a first victory in the contest for Norway. The song is a tribute to dancing to old rock 'n' roll heard on the radio.

2. Ne partez pas sans moi by Céline Dion (Switzerland - 1988)

And yet another big name to grace the winners' roster of Eurovision - Céline Dion. Scoring 137 points, "Don't Leave Without Me" just managed to win for Switzerland as it beat the U.K. in one of the closest fights in Eurovision.

3. Fångad av en stormvind by Carola (Sweden - 1991)

The Scandanavian counties had a bit of a stranglehold in Eurovision in the later 1980s and early 1990s before Ireland took over. Translated, it means "Captured by a storm wind", and scored 146 points. And victory was only achieved through a tie-break.

4. Rock 'n' Roll Kids by Paul Harrington & Charlie McGettigan (Ireland - 1994)

This song completed a hat-trick of wins for Ireland - something that had never been achieved before. It scored a massive 226. Many conspiracies exist that this song was chosen so Ireland wouldn't win again - but it backfired! It was the first winning song ever to be performed without orchestral accompaniment, as McGettigan's guitar and Harrington's piano were the only instruments needed.

5. Nocturne by Secret Garden (Norway - 1995)

Norway finally broke Ireland's stranglehood on Eurovision by winning in 199 with a total of 148 points. The song is noted for its lack of lyrics - only 25 words are sung, the lowest for any winning song. much of the rest of the song being given over to a violin intermezzo performed by guest Irish musician Fionnuala Sherry (and you could argue it was an Irish victory...).

6. The Voice by Eimear Quinn (Ireland - 1996)

Ireland made it 4 wins in 5 years as Eimear Quinn won Eurovision back for Ireland. Eimar had a fantastic voice, and it showed that Folk music can be successful at Eurovision. Very different, but a brilliant song. This was Ireland's last win.

7. Love Shine a Light by Katrina and the Waves (U.K. - 1997)

And this song holds the record for the greatest winning margin - 70 points. Totaling 227 points, this was the U.K.'s last victory. Ireland finished second.

8. Diva by Dana International (Israel - 1998)

Eurovision is never far away from strangeness and controversy. Dana International holds a number of interesting records - the only transgender singer to have won the Contest; the last entry entirely in a language other than English to win the Contest until 2007. The song is an ode to the powerful women of history — with Cleopatra in fact being the only real figure named. Victoria, the Roman goddess of victory and Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of beauty are also named. The song scored 172 points.

9. Take Me to Your Heaven by Charlotte Nilsson (Sweden - 1999)

That ABBA feel exists with this song - something that Sweden brings out every now and then with their entries. The song is an up-beat song about love, with the singer asking her lover to take her to heaven by loving her. It scored 163 points.

10. Fly on the Wings of Love by The Olson Brothers (Denmark - 2000)

This song scored 195 points and gave a second victory to Denmark. The song is a love ballad, with the singers describing the beauty of a woman. Unusually the lyrics strongly imply that this is a beauty which has improved with age.

11. I Wanna by Marie N (Latvia - 2002)

Estonia won the year before and started the Eastern European grip on Eurovision. Scoring 176 points, it brought back memories of Bucks Fizz. It was a lively upbeat tune with feels of Latin America, especially that of Ricky Martin.

12. Wild Dances by Ruslana (Ukraine - 2004)

One of my all time favourite winners, Ruslana holds the record for the most points scored by an individual - a massive 280. It's fast, it's frentic, it's furious! And it's cavemen and cavewomen! Throw in the fact it is a good tune that you just have to nod along to, and it is Eurovision success. Plus Ruslana has a great powerful voice needed for such an active song.

13. My Number One by Helena Paparizou (Greece - 2005)

Greece scored their first victory, with a song that achieved 230 points. The song is an up-tempo love song, with Helena telling her lover that he is "my number one" and "the only treasure I'll ever have". It contains music from a traditional Greek instrument like the lyra.

14. Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi (Finland - 2006)

Monster Rock gave Finland its first ever win - and the record for the most points ever scored. That was 292. The Finnish rockers showed that ugly could be beautiful as they stormed to victory in 2006. While I hated the song to begin with, it has grown on me a lot. Eurovision with a difference.

15. Molitva by Marija Šerifović (Serbia - 2007)

Serbia won at their first attempt (they had been Serbia and Montenegro previously). And a song in the language of the country singing won for the first time since 1998. It was a powerful and emotional song, with a gutsy performance.

16. Believe by Dima Bilan (Russia - 2008)

And yet another new winning country - Russia. Scoring 272 points, Dima Bilan cruised to victory with his ballad. A simple performance, which included the Russian figure skater, Olympic gold medalist and three-time world champion Evgeni Plushenko, skated on artificial ice on stage as part of the song performance, while the Hungarian composer and violinist Edvin Marton played his Stradivarius.

Round 1, Tie 1

Molitva by Marija Šerifović (Serbia - 2007)

Serbia won at their first attempt (they had been Serbia and Montenegro previously). And a song in the language of the country singing won for the first time since 1998. It was a powerful and emotional song, with a gutsy performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sp9OOoxCJo

vs.

Nocturne by Secret Garden (Norway - 1995)

Norway finally broke Ireland's stranglehood on Eurovision by winning in 199 with a total of 148 points. The song is noted for its lack of lyrics - only 25 words are sung, the lowest for any winning song. much of the rest of the song being given over to a violin intermezzo performed by guest Irish musician Fionnuala Sherry (and you could argue it was an Irish victory...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfJA3wvcxC8

Voting ends Sunday 9th May 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

I'm not convinced by the Norwegian winner. So that means my vote is going to Serbia and Molitva. And who else thinks the Serbian singer looks like Masi Oka (Hiro Nakumura from Heroes)??

Putting the two best songs against eachother to start this off? You are a horrible person. Anyhoo, Molitva is a song I still toss into my playlist every now and then, one of the most powerful songs to ever have entered the competition,

I'd never heard of the Serbian song before, but I've been a fan of Secret Garden for a while now.  The Serbian song was incredible, but perhaps a better singer would have pushed it over the top.  I have to go with Nocturne by Secret Garden

Round 1, Tie 2

Ne partez pas sans moi by Céline Dion (Switzerland - 1988)

And yet another big name to grace the winners' roster of Eurovision - Céline Dion. Scoring 137 points, "Don't Leave Without Me" just managed to win for Switzerland as it beat the U.K. in one of the closest fights in Eurovision.

vs.

My Number One by Helena Paparizou (Greece - 2005)

Greece scored their first victory, with a song that achieved 230 points. The song is an up-tempo love song, with Helena telling her lover that he is "my number one" and "the only treasure I'll ever have". It contains music from a traditional Greek instrument like the lyra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWe0nKho8DI

Voting ends Monday 11th May 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

An early vote and lead for Céline Dion's Ne partez pas sans moi. While I like the Greek winning song, I feel Céline Dion has a better set of vocals and a better song.

We need to move on, so I get to cast the deciding vote. And I will stick with Céline Dion, who advances to the 2nd Round.

The 3rd tie of the 1st Round is up next.

Round 1, Tie 3

Fly on the Wings of Love by The Olson Brothers (Denmark - 2000)

This song scored 195 points and gave a second victory to Denmark. The song is a love ballad, with the singers describing the beauty of a woman. Unusually the lyrics strongly imply that this is a beauty which has improved with age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEwlSyd7DH4

vs.

Believe by Dima Bilan (Russia - 2008)

And yet another new winning country - Russia. Scoring 272 points, Dima Bilan cruised to victory with his ballad. A simple performance, which included the Russian figure skater, Olympic gold medalist and three-time world champion Evgeni Plushenko, skated on artificial ice on stage as part of the song performance, while the Hungarian composer and violinist Edvin Marton played his Stradivarius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XR5xrU02yo&feature=fvst

Voting ends Tuesday 12th May 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

I started out liking the Russian song better, then I noticed two things.  First, the dirty mustache the Russian was sporting.  Second, the lyrics of Wings of Love which were great in their originality and spirit.  Therefore.

Wings of Love

Round 1, Tie 4

La det swinge by Bobbysocks (Norway - 1985)

The Norwegian lyrics translate as "Let it swing". It scored 123 points, and claimed a first victory in the contest for Norway. The song is a tribute to dancing to old rock 'n' roll heard on the radio.

vs.

Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi (Finland - 2006)

Monster Rock gave Finland its first ever win - and the record for the most points ever scored. That was 292. The Finnish rockers showed that ugly could be beautiful as they stormed to victory in 2006. While I hated the song to begin with, it has grown on me a lot. Eurovision with a difference.

Voting ends Wednesday 13th May 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 5

The Voice by Eimear Quinn (Ireland - 1996)

Ireland made it 4 wins in 5 years as Eimear Quinn won Eurovision back for Ireland. Eimar had a fantastic voice, and it showed that Folk music can be successful at Eurovision. Very different, but a brilliant song. This was Ireland's last win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-xmcY0T4xs

vs.

Love Shine a Light by Katrina and the Waves (U.K. - 1997)

And this song holds the record for the greatest winning margin - 70 points. Totaling 227 points, this was the U.K.'s last victory. Ireland finished second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qaYeR7uOKo

Voting ends Thursday 14th May 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

The Voice  I disagree with Maj, I love the song.  Celtic Woman sings it better.  Elmear Quinn's voice is too wispy for the full effect and she doesn't hit the high notes well.

Love Shine A Light was terrible.  Cliche melody and voice.  Sounded like it was a religious ballad trying to be secular.  What cheesy, lame lyrics as well.

Archived