Which Ballad is the best?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which Ballad is the best?

• #1 Sing a Song of Sashes
    • #2 Ballad of the Kin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he/she has not been revealed, RJ may reveal it in AMoL, but only if he can find some way to mention it without just tossing it in there. Otherwise he has promised to reveal the killer when AMoL comes out in paperback.

Guest cwestervelt

I'm about 99% convinced that A Memory of Light will give a definite answer. RJ has said he will work it in if possible, but I think he already had a plan for how he was going to do it when he made that statement. There is a reason that he hasn't said who did it up until now, and it isn't simply that he likes to see people squirm.

Guest cwestervelt

He said something to the effect that it should be intuitive obvious from the information we had at the time of the murder. He also said that later books also contained clues. Some of us agree that it is obvious, others (probably most) don't and want to over analyze it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Egwene

100+ pages of discussion...

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85

...amongst them the reasons why some of us believe it was Moiraine. In a nutshell... we believe that because of how the Eelfinn interpreted one of her requests, she was put into the position to be able to kill Asmo by them. You'll find solutions to the questions that follow on from that assumption on the same thread. Please add your vote to the poll... whatever the outcome... it will be fun to compare the results *g*

By the way... timewise, it works perfectly that she entered that morning... as we know time runs slower beyond the doorframe...

By the way... timewise, it works perfectly that she entered that morning... as we know time runs slower beyond the doorframe...

How do we know this exactly? If anything I would think that time flows faster. When they first enter Rhuidean, Mat goes through the door at about the same time that Rand enters the columns. Rand emerges to find Mat hanging from Avendesora, not breathing, but not quite dead yet. We find out later when they return to the Wise One's camp that several days have passed in the real world since they entered Rhuidean. Are you saying that Mat dangled from a noose for several days without breathing and then was able to get up and run/stumble all the way to the Wise One's camp no more than an hour later?

Well now, that IS interesting ... it COULD be that she requested the opportunity to kill Asmodean, since there is no reason to believe that she would not be given the 3 wishes ... although I wonder at her motive.

She already knew about "Jasin Natael", as evidenced by her letter to Rand. If she did nothing to kill him before, why would she do so after being separated from Rand? The Eelfinn's wish granting abilities give her a potential means and opportunity, but still no motive.

And yes, time would run faster, not slower in the Eelfinn world, if there was a steady comparison at all, but I imagine the relative time flows fluctuate, much in the same fashion as Tel'aran'rhiod.

Correction ... time would run slower inside the ter'angreal, and Randland would run faster (unless the connection fluctuates), limiting her opportunity to strike. Asmodean dies only hours after she entered the ter'angreal in Randland, that would be as little as a few minutes in the Eelfinn's world. It would only be possible if she went in with that idea in mind, and almost instantly was able to turn around and execute the plan. I still don't see her motive.

The Dice Again ...

Time running more slowly inside the Eelfinn world supports the Rhuidean time line. The relatively short time that Mat spends in their world equates to a longer time outside.

Short time in = Long time out

That means the time outside must have been running faster, to encompass more time in an identical subjective period.

Faster out = slower in.

Sorry, you're right, I had my temporal fluctuations all flumoxed...

Still, what seems to Mat to be no more than a few minutes to half an hour equates to several days in the real timeline. Moiraine would have to run to get her three wishes in less time than that. Besides, how does she even know what this group of 'finns does? She knows about the "three questions" from the historical record of the one in Tear. She has no such information on this one.

Mat talks to no one except Rand about what happened there and his requests come out of sheer frustration. He was looking for answers, not wishes. How would Moiraine know to ask for specific things?

Guest Egwene

If she wished 'to help the dragon fight the shadow'... she may not have got what she expected...

... on another note... I think it is interesting that every time people play the game of 'Snakes and Foxes' they find out that the only way to win is by playing against the rules. I think Moiraine is playing and planning to win.

Well, I'd agree she is playing the game, and playing it by her rules, because she's got the secret weapon of Mat and Thom, and Mat's got luck on his side. :D

It seems to me she must have played by the "rules" of the Finn and been granted a wish to stay put unharmed, and the Finn probably (until now) had no knowledge that Mat was going to come to try and save her. So in a way she's cheated through following the rules. Cause she's just that awesome.

Guest Egwene

'Courage to strengthen, fire to blind, music to dazzle, iron to bind'

Those must be indications on how to overcome the A&E.

'snake man asks (Mat)if he brought a light source, musical instrument or iron' (doorframe in the Stone)...same question is asked by the foxes..

Burning the doorframe may have brought light into the land. Thom being a musician and needed to rescue Moiraine... maybe coincidence, but I don't think so... I think the chapter of Moiraines rescue is going to be an interesting one. Certainly one I look forward to immensly.

Guest cwestervelt
RobertAlexWillis: Moiraine's motive is still the sticker for me. Why would she pull a 180 on allowing Rand to keep his teacher? She had to know he had him on a very short leash.

Somewhere withing the 100 pages that Egwene kindly mentioned, this has been explained. Several times actually. Since "somewhere" is rather vague, I can't fault you for not being aware of it.

Moiraine was unable to make any move against Asmodean prior to the docks. Asmodean was a participant in the scene, albeit a minor one. Since she was shown all possible futures, she would have known he was present. That is how she knew to have his horse saddled before she went to speek with Rand. Her vision showed her all possible futures. Now, what happens if she does something that removes Asmodean from the picture early? The only acceptable future would no longer be possible. That leaves either Rand going with Lanfear as her love slave, Lanfear killing Rand, or a previously impossible future of which she has no foreknowledge. Considering the towering fury that Lanfear was in, the likely occurance would be that Rand would have died. His talking to Asmodean was about the only reason he wasn't right up front with Moiraine when Lanfear first struck.

cwestervelt, Egwene, and anyone else who thinks it is Moiraine:

That is at least plausible. And you have presented possibilities I had not considered. I still believe that it is Graendal, because I believe her means, motive, and opportunity are the most likely, and I still think the timing for Moiraine would be AWFULLY tight ... but it COULD be Moiraine.

Guest cwestervelt
smokinbrigand: I saw a somewhere that the two servants in the hall that rand let go were two forsaken. That they where hiding since they mention the fact that besides solders there is no one else in the palace. Why did they not attack? RJ says that if you look you can find the answer.

I'm quite certain RJ has denied them being anything other than two servants. They were not Graendal and Sammael.

Archived