DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

the Gay Relationships in TWoT

arkinia

Yet the relevance of the potential offendance remains. I tend to agree that the offended people need to grow up, they would be disserved by people claiming their realities not being challenged would not be a favour done to them. Mmh, I cannot think this through now, but I think, whether they ever felt any inclination or another: everyone should feel they were bisexual. (Would that be correct, or save sufferance?)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why there are no gay parades in Randland.

Possibly because there might not be any need for them. If homosexuality is accepted then having Gay Pride Parades would be as relevant as having Hetresexual Pride Parades. Yes, some might want to express their pride in their sexual preferences but if the acceptance of your sexual procolivities is not being morally or functionally questioned why would there be a need to make a point of declaring your sexual orientation?

Yet the relevance of the potential offendance remains. I tend to agree that the offended people need to grow up, they would be disserved by people claiming their realities not being challenged would not be a favour done to them. Mmh, I cannot think this through now, but I think, whether they ever felt any inclination or another: everyone should feel they were bisexual. (Would that be correct, or save sufferance?)

The person that started the thread and made the comment obviously did not want to ruffle anyones feathers, thus pre-emptive apology. I see no reason to demean his wish not to intentionally ruffle feathers. His acknowldedgement that some may not feel comfortible discussing the subject only goes to further the belief that he is truly gracious and in no way reflects on the validty of having gay characters in WOT.

That would ruin the series if you didn't have to go, "Wait, wait are they gay?" every other chapter.

Actually in most cases it would be "are they bisexual", but in any case its more like every other book instead of every other chapter.

Moreover, as to the effect of Sanderson being Mormon on the series I think the answer is none. The characters are RJ's if they were gay, bi, or straight and it mattered in the series it would be in the notes. Further, Sanderson has stateted on his blog that any characters whose attributes he might have trouble with in real life he would tend to draw positively in fiction so as not to have his beliefs interfear with the dynamics of the characters in a work of fiction.

Archived