DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Worst Ever Singles - It's A Knockout (Winner: Technohead's I Wanna Be A Hippy)

Corki

I am now in work, and as there have been no votes, I will be casting the deciding vote. And that goes to B*witched's C'est la Vie.

That, therefore, means that C'est La Vie wins by 3 votes to 2.

The first tie of the second round is now going up - and please note it will end on Saturday evening to get us back into sync.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 2, Tie 1

The Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum) by The Cheeky Girls

The Cheeky Girls are twin sisters Monica and Gabriela Irimia, from Romania, but based in Britain and appeared on the reality TV show Popstars - The Rivals. The song peaked at number 2 in the UK charts in December 2002 and January 2003, selling nearly 1 million (yes, you did read 1 million) copies. How it did that, I do not know! It's pretty tuneless and they aren't great singers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7AFZXgjrgg

vs.

Saturday Night by Whigfield

'Whigfield' is actually Danish singer Sannie Charlotte Carlson. It reached number 1 in a host of countries during the summer of 1994. This song annoyed me then and it still does. And this is yet another singer accused of lip syncing. This song also has a dance routine that came popular. It's pure unadultered annoying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcmBaRAj7FU

Voting ends Saturday 25th April 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

That is a 3-0 win for The Cheeky Girls and The Cheeky Song. That is another step closer to being the worst ever single for them.

Tie 2 of the second round is going up now.

Round 2, Tie 2

Mr Blobby by Mr Blobby

Yet another Christmas UK number 1 - this time in 1993 - and it knocked Meat Loaf off top spot to claim the honour. It's rather senseless - and yet somehow Jeremy Clarkson appears in the video. It's just crazy and pretty terrible - and yet I have a cassette of this song! I was young and liked Noel Edmund's Noel's House Party as a kid, on which Mr Blobby featured.

vs.

I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper by Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip

This was before Sarah Brightman became famous. It reached number 6 in the UK chart for the teenage Brightman and Hot Gossip in 1978. It's very 1970s and extremely cheesy. It's full of sexual innuendo ("Take me, make me feel the force") and references to the world of sci-fi ("And evil Darth Vader has been banished to Mars" and "Flash Gordon's left me, he's gone to the stars"). At least Brightman moved onto better and greater things!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL6MAyTXMRA

Voting ends Sunday 26th April 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

I left the vote open for longer than I said I would in the hope of getting at least one more vote. Sadly not. But the show must go on.

Mr Blobby wins by 1 vote to 0.

The third tie of the second round is now going up. I hope to see more than 1 vote.

Round 2, Tie 3

Girl, You Know It's True by Milli Vanilli

Released in 1988, this song reached number 2 in the US and number 3 in the UK. During a performance in Connecticut, the group was caught lip synching, causing much controversy.

vs.

I Wanna Be a Hippy by Technohead

WTF!!!! It reached number 6 in the UK Charts in 1996. I really do not know what else to say about this! Go and find something to cleanse your ears after that!

Voting ends Tuesday 28th April 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

That is a 4-0 win for Technohead and I Wanna Be A Hippy as it takes one step closer to the prize of being named the worst single ever!

Now it is time for the final tie of the second round.

Round 2, Tie 4

Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice

This reached number 1 in a host of countries for "rapper" Robert "Vanilla Ice" Van Winkle in 1990. It samples the bassline of "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie. I really do not know if you can call that singing at all...  And what about that dancing??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UH5PXFqMqg

vs.

C'est la Vie by B*witched

Ireland conquerors the UK charts in 1998 with this song. It's cheesy bubblegum pop with an annoying fiddle in it. The video features the girls dancing in a field covered in psychedlic flowers, with a puppy, and playfully teasing a hapless teenage boy. It's awful!

Voting ends Wednessday 29th April 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

Semi-Final, Tie 1

I Wanna Be a Hippy by Technohead

WTF!!!! It reached number 6 in the UK Charts in 1996. I really do not know what else to say about this! Go and find something to cleanse your ears after that!

vs.

Mr Blobby by Mr Blobby

Yet another Christmas UK number 1 - this time in 1993 - and it knocked Meat Loaf off top spot to claim the honour. It's rather senseless - and yet somehow Jeremy Clarkson appears in the video. It's just crazy and pretty terrible - and yet I have a cassette of this song! I was young and liked Noel Edmund's Noel's House Party as a kid, on which Mr Blobby featured.

Voting ends Thursday 30th April 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

Archived