DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Ride of Paul Revere... Not!

Raeyn

So, I had a rather unpleasant experience last week - I got le hackz0red.  No, it wasn't Haxorist's fault. :p

So Tuesday, I was doing my radio show or about to do my radio show or something, when someone randomly blue messages me a one-word question. Now, this one-word question is an in-joke between me and my 'sister' from high school, and while I don't really get why some random stranger is posing it to me, I respond appropriately without much thought to it.

Time passes. I get through my radio show, and muse calling it an early night. I start doing my final round of checking emails and boards lazily, when all of a sudden, I've somehow been shut out of one email account, then another.. then another! I'm a bit panicked, obviously, but I retain enough of my wit to actually go try my passwords... which, of course, don't work. So then I took a deep breath and set about getting those passwords changed. I still wasn't quite thinking foul play was involved, but...

I managed to recover my main gmail, so imagine my surprise when I saw things being deleted before my eyes before I got booted out of it again. It was around this time (right before I got booted) that I noted that Gmail logs the last account activity down in the bottom - eureka, IP address! I manage to re-recover it later, and Claire and I do a look-up on the IP. It pinged to Cooper Union in New York at their computer lab or some such.

Anyways, I'm still kind of flapping about thinking about what I needed to do and praying that I was getting things changed fast enough, well enough, and secure enough this person couldn't get back in when Claire announces she's on the phone with the lab conveying this information. It seems that the school in question is one of the most prestigious in the nation, and they think that perhaps it could be a prank... until Claire explains where the data was recovered from.

So, I spent Tuesday night getting all my email accounts back. I realize that my Facebook has been compromised too when I got a 'so and so commented to your status!' email, and managed to wrangle that back quickly - the hacker had been asking if anyone knew what my favorite restaurant was. >__< He or she also got my AIM account, but I keep managing to keep that locked by virtue of not remembering what the answer to my security question is.. bwah ha! >__> They also emailed my parents asking for my mother's maiden name - she got her ass absolutely ripped for responding to that, my mother did. I'm sort of insulted that she think I'd've asked that, since I'm the only kid interested in our genealogy. Moving on! <3

Of course, I slept poorly, and Wednesday happened. My brain was still processing all of this, when I re-remembered that I'd gotten an email at one of my lesser-known emails asking saying that I had asked for a password change to a KoL account. I put 2+2 together, and started going through my multis. Well shizza, the ass had stolen THREE of them (to include my radio prize multi, where I keep/kept my contest prize goodies to give out), so I started to get the abuse admin (Multi Czar, to be known as #6 for the rest of this, as that's his account number) in on it.

More sleep didn't happen.

Thursday rolls around, and this is where I can start speed-summing things up. More data to #6, more data to the network admin at the college in question) I think I scared him a bit yesterday when I started pointing out under what articles of law this crime was punishable for at an absolute minimum (Compromising the Confidentiality of a Computer and Accessing a Computer to Defraud & Obtain Value, or 6-15 years in prison)... but they definitely want me to talk to their Chief Technology Officer on Monday.

As for the KoL side of things... my items aren't recoverable because the individual sold everything he could off of those accounts and then proceeded to gamble all the meat (in-game currency) until there was none left. I'm a bit annoyed, but I can probably get Josh (the #2 guy of the game) to recreate the items if I ask... I'd rather not go around #6 though, 'cause he's a dear friend (though I don't know if he know he's the one doing the job at current). But he did manage to confirm login times and IP addresses, so I'm putting him in contact with the college in question so they can discuss it without violating privacy policies by routing it through me (woot!).

Of course, nobody called yesterday, so I spent a day on my ass playing Sims 2 for no good reason... I mean, outside of the enjoyment value of playing God to a houseful of fake people or something.

Anyways, discuss - what's up with crackheads and their wanting to steal fake items?  I mean, seriously... if you're going to go a-stealin', at least risk that sort of jail sentence for something valued at higher than $200. :p

I got le hackz0red.  No, it wasn't Haxorist's fault. :p

Don't fool yourself

In other news, hackers suck, unless they use their powers for good?

Closest thing I've come to something like this is getting about 500G worth of items stolen from me in WoW >.<

It was about 60-150 million meat (KoL's currency) worth of currency and items, give or take.  I'd not done a proper estimate yet, so... probably more like 100-150m.  Either way, we're talking about $200-250~ in actual monetary value, so like... it's totally 'tarded to risk that long a prison term for. :D

Archived