DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The lack of adventure in the later novels

Galeros

before Rand puts Min in Morrs charge, Min notes that Morr has been twisting and button around on his jacket, tongue sticking out, giggling under his breath. If you look back further, hes showing signs of madness durning the Seachean conquest. madness can sometimes be controled, to a certain degree. But his decent into terminal madness is definatly quite abrupt, and off scene.

The traveling quest with the youth of destiny is a classic of the genre.  But I find that's what I like most about this series, it has wars and politics and romance as well as the mysterious stranger/youth of promise/flight to or with the MacGuffin.  The first three books are quests for a different MacGuffin (the Eye, the Horn, Callandor).  Then the heroes grow out of being adventuring youths and grapple with heavy responsibility and consequences of their choices.  The story grows with them. 

One thing to keep in mind when reading WOT is that it is one story, not eleven (going on fourteen). And as such, the amount of "adventuring" must ebb and flow. We are not exactly talking about the typical Hollywood-action, where you can have constant action from start til end because there is no real story to worry about.

And the individual books follow the main characters development. In the first books, they are young and inexperienced, and their focus is mainly on what goes on around them. As they grow, they become more aware of the world around them, and the stakes at hand. Simultaneously, the world starts noticing them, especially Rand of course.

The alternative would have been Rand after TDR declaring "Behold! I have Callandor in my hand! I am the Dragon Reborn!", whereupon the world would have arisen as one man, and sworn to follow him to Tarmon Gaidon, where Rand would have slayed the Beast the DO in an epic duel.

I must say, I am quite grateful we did not get that version...

The alternative would have been Rand after TDR declaring "Behold! I have Callandor in my hand! I am the Dragon Reborn!", whereupon the world would have arisen as one man, and sworn to follow him to Tarmon Gaidon, where Rand would have slayed the Beast the DO in an epic duel.

I must say, I am quite grateful we did not get that version...

But first he must yell "By the power of Grey Skull, I have the power!"

I always pictured it as when he needed to change from rand al'Thor to the Dragon Reborn he would pull Callandor out the back of his shirt (never explaining how he hid a four and half foot sword there) and crying "By the power of Saidin!"  Then the STone of Tear would flash in the background while he "morphed" then as He-Rand he'd grasp the blad in his off hand and yell, "I have the power!"  And point the sword at Bela and after the beam of light hit her she would turn into Battle Bela.

I have simalar transitions for Mat and Perrins' ta'veren changes into "General Cauthorn" and "Young Bull."

I always pictured it as when he needed to change from rand al'Thor to the Dragon Reborn he would pull Callandor out the back of his shirt (never explaining how he hid a four and half foot sword there) and crying "By the power of Saidin!"  Then the STone of Tear would flash in the background while he "morphed" then as He-Rand he'd grasp the blad in his off hand and yell, "I have the power!"  And point the sword at Bela and after the beam of light hit her she would turn into Battle Bela.

I have simalar transitions for Mat and Perrins' ta'veren changes into "General Cauthorn" and "Young Bull."

;D ;D ;D

I always told myself never to drink coffee while reading!  :'(

Archived