DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Formula 1 Grand Prix discussion thread - no off topic spamming !

Elgee

NOTICE: THIS THREAD IS TO DISCUSS THE FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX, AND THAT ONLY!

Spam on anything else will be treated by having Spikey shoved up where the sun don't shine  ;D

So ... unfortunately, I was mostly passed out (from work, worse luck) after last week's Australian Grand Prix, but maybe we can get a bit of an autopsy in before Sunday's race in Malaysia.

What did you think of the 3 teams who circumvented the rules on the diffuser?

What do you think of the Curs (sp?) system?

What did The Young God (aka Lewis Hamilton) do wrong now to get his points taken away?

Who's your fav driver/team?

Who's the hottest driver? No need to answer that - It's Kimi!

Why did they not play the South African Anthem for the Brawn team ? ? ? ? ?  >:( *sniffs*

Anything else you can think of to talk about - as long as it involves F1 GP  ;D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i did not think they did circumvent the rules. To me that means something illegal, whereas the teams actually found something not covered by the rules and got a ruling by the race stewards that allowed them to use it....i suspect the same thing will happen this wekend.

What do you think of the Curs (sp?) system?

I think this will come into play more on the tracks that are power circuits, Spa,Monza, Mount Fuji, ewtc. On these tracks i think it will giove a much bigger advantage than on last sundays track.

What did The Young God (aka Lewis Hamilton) do wrong now to get his points taken away?

He's a prat and deserved to lose the place. Lying gets you nowhere and that is what he did.

Who's your fav driver/team? Nick Heidfeld or Jenson Button/BMW

Well it would be now seeing as Ferrari like to set their drivers on fire every now and then :o

Why did they not play the South African Anthem for the Brawn team

Cause they are based in the UK

i did not think they did circumvent the rules. To me that means something illegal, whereas the teams actually found something not covered by the rules and got a ruling by the race stewards that allowed them to use it....i suspect the same thing will happen this wekend.

Circumvent means to find a way around the rules - that makes them clever, not rule breakers  :D

He's a prat and deserved to lose the place. Lying gets you nowhere and that is what he did.

Well all that goes without saying  ;D

But what did the prat lie about? I missed that part.

Well it would be now seeing as Ferrari like to set their drivers on fire every now and then :o

Well, if we're talking fire ... has there been a race where Mark Webber's arse hasn't been set alight?  :D

Why did they not play the South African Anthem for the Brawn team

Cause they are based in the UK

Ross Brawn is a South African! *pouts*

One more question: who's got the worst hair do? Richard Branson or Bernie Ecclestone?

But what did the prat lie about? I missed that part.

He told the Stewards that Trulli passed him under a yellow, possible a full course yellow. It turns out that he was "advised" to say this by the Mclaren team.

One more question: who's got the worst hair do? Richard Branson or Bernie Ecclestone?

Typical girly question ;)

So not only is he a prat, he's a stupid prat ...  ::)

I used to be a big fan of McClaren (Kimi and DC - those were the days  ;D), but their ethics have gone right down the washer. It really p's me off that I now have to cheer for Ferrari  >:(

*sticks tongue out at Owen* girlies rule  ;D

It's a shame White Wolf, that you aren't part of this ORg, we could have put this good discussion in the arcade.

You too are so obviously into this. All I know is that Jason Button won last weekend! He's  Brit I'm happy, lol

Jenson Button - and he's on pole for tomorrow's GP!  ;D

Which leads us to the MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX:

As a side note: Mark Webber is starting at ... wait for it ... 7th position  ::) Does he know he can try for some other position?  ???

Ferrari yet again make one of their now almost regular cock ups, and neglected to keep Massa ready in case he needs to go out again. Result? He's not even in the top 15. *sighs*

If anyone can find the qualifying list, please put it up here - my net has slowed down to its weekend crawl again  >:(

Hi Talya, i have always felt like i belong to all the Divs/Orgs here seeing as i am Staff*shrugs*

As you asked so shall you recieve Elgee

1 Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes

2 Jarno Trulli Toyota

3 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault

4 Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes

5 Timo Glock Toyota

6 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota

7 Mark Webber RBR-Renault

8 Robert Kubica BMW Sauber

9 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari

10 Fernando Alonso Renault

11 Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber

12 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota

13 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes

14 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 

15 Sebastien Bourdais STR-Ferrari

16 Felipe Massa Ferrari

17 Nelsinho Piquet Renault

18 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Mercedes

19 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes

20 Sebastien Buemi STR-Ferrari

I'm hoping to lure more people into my trap by making this in the open boards  ;)

Thanks much, Owen *snuggles*

Got any predictions for tomorrow?

(And: *Points to 13th position and sniggers*)

Predictions this early in the season*lol*

I was impressed by the speed of the Toyota and the RBR, but are they on lower fuel than the Brawn, that is the important question there. I think looking at the computer predicted race times that the Brawn is nearly a second a lap faster than the rest. However that is a computer prediction and there are a lot of variables, especially weather, that needs to be taken into account and that is not possible with a computer simulation.

I do think the Ferrari's are going to be in for a hard time, as are the Mclaren's. Williams could spring a surprise, but i do not think so. BWM? Hard one that. I think there will not be a late charge from anyone unlike what we saw last weekend. the difference in the two grades of tye do not look as big as last weekend.

So sticking my neck out here i will say the top three in qualifying will be the top three in the race, but not sure in what order. Rosberg could spring a surpise there, as could Barrichello

You?

Much too early to tell  ;D

Though I'll stick my neck out and say that Mark Webber will NOT end up near the top of the list. That man has way too much bad luck.

What do you think of the comment that Kimi is more heavily fuelled than the front runners?

I see that for some reason Vettel has been demoted to 13th place, can't find what the reason for that is.

I am not so sure that he is. The Ferrari seems to be that much slower than the Brawn that if they have fueled Kimi heavy, then they are looking at a podium finish and not a race win. Around Sepang extra fuel can really punish you seeing as it is such a long lap with two long straights and a handful of fast corners that punish the tyres.

More weight-more punishment to the tyres.

Vettel? noooo  :(

I need to find a site that updates (and loads) faster  :(

It doesn't seem logical to me for them to fuel Kimi more heavily, but lately Ferrari haven't really been noted for their clear thinking.

Ok so I was too p'd off on Sunday to post, and then got busy, but here I am now, so let's talk about the Malaysian FUBAR.

First of all: Malaysia is on/near the equator. The sun goes down early. It's monsoon season. Why ... WHY ... hold the race so late in the evening??? Is there really NO-ONE in F1 with an IQ above that of a deck chair???

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

To move back to the Australian GP:

McLaren will appear before Formula 1's governing body, the FIA, on 29 April to answer charges relating to a breach of the International Sporting Code.

If I understand correctly, McLaren's Sporting Director Dave Ryan told Hamilton to allow Truli to pass him under yellow flags. The whole lot of them then lied about it, but of course when they listened to the RECORDED (DUH!!!) radio communications, the truth came out.

I have so many issues here:

1) Dave Ryan, who's worked for McLaren for 35 years, was fired, but Hamilton lost a few points - fair distribution of blame?

2) How stupid IS Hamilton? Could he not think for himself that this isn't right?

3) Why's Truli not being punished? He's the one who passed someone under yellow flags, after all.

First of all: Malaysia is on/near the equator. The sun goes down early. It's monsoon season. Why ... WHY ... hold the race so late in the evening??? Is there really NO-ONE in F1 with an IQ above that of a deck chair???

Can you say TV ratings? Honestly that was the reason behind moving the start of the race back by three hours. It was the same with the Australian GP.There is also a school of thought within the upper echelons of F1 that thinks wet races are more spectacular than dry races....go figure.

To move back to the Australian GP:

McLaren will appear before Formula 1's governing body, the FIA, on 29 April to answer charges relating to a breach of the International Sporting Code.

If I understand correctly, McLaren's Sporting Director Dave Ryan told Hamilton to allow Truli to pass him under yellow flags. The whole lot of them then lied about it, but of course when they listened to the RECORDED (DUH!!!) radio communications, the truth came out.

Ok, my take on this is that Dave Ryan smegged up by not knowing the rules. It states in the rules that you cannot pass another car on the track under a Yellow, local or full course. Dave Ryan either did not know this, or forgot it and so told the Hamster to let Trulli back past. That is the cause of all this, someone who should know the rules did not. To blame Hamster i think is wrong. To punish him is also wrong. He did what any team player would do in a similar situation. Don’t forget, when Alonso “blew the whistle” on Mclaren over the “Spy-gate” issue he was basically frozen out of the team. The Hamster did as he was told, and believed what he was told. I feel he is not to blame here. Don’t forget the drivers know very little of the “big picture” when they are racing. For all the Hamster knew the Race Steward had told Mclaren that they had to let Trulli back past. 

1) Dave Ryan, who's worked for McLaren for 35 years, was fired, but Hamilton lost a few points - fair distribution of blame?

See the previous answer

2) How stupid IS Hamilton? Could he not think for himself that this isn't right?

Again see previous answer, Driver’s are not fully in the know when they are racing and depend on their team for accurate information. Hamster trusted his team to do him no harm.....blame lies purely with the team

3) Why's Truli not being punished? He's the one who passed someone under yellow flags, after all.

This i do not know, nor understand. There seems to be a definite “anti Mclaren” bias appearing in F1....but is that hardly surprising when the FIA is made up of over 60% or ex-Ferrari staff?

And while we are talking abotu Malasia, what the smeg were Ferrari doing putting Kimi on wet tyres on a completely dry track? How desperate are Ferrari becoming to foget one of the fundamentals of racing? You race the track as it is, not how it maybe in the future.....man what a bunch of idiots they are

Last point first: Yes !!  >:(

I've never been a Ferrari Team fan (love the car itself), mostly because of their unethical approach to the sport. I really wish Kimi would go race for someone else.

Points in first post:

TV Ratings - yes - but they HAD to know chances were the race would be cancelled due to bad light/severe rain that late in the evening. How does that help the ratings ?

McLaren oopsie: you make much sense  :D

TV Ratings - yes - but they HAD to know chances were the race would be cancelled due to bad light/severe rain that late in the evening. How does that help the ratings ?

Well the race had gone on for now long before the rain came?

I think it was over an hour before it started to rain. Whereas it is usual for the monsoons to start around this time, it is not for certain that they will. So i am guessing that the FIA was hedgin it's bets. For an hour plus they had a good race and a larger audience, in the Uk for sure, than they would have if it had started at the more normal time

I still think it was a stupid decision. Is the largest fan base in the UK? What about the rest of the world? Surely making it an hour earlier (with therefor decreased chance that it would have to be stopped due to bad light) would not have lost them that many viewers, compared to losing them because the race stopped.

But did they lose them? I can only speak for myself here but i waited until there was an official announcement that the race was over and by then it had been two hours which would have meant the race would have been stopped anyway if they had not completed all the laps.

Archived