DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Return to the Tower (attn: Greens)

Eladari had been making rather slow progress for the past few days.  As she made her slow way North from Cairhien she had been quite introspective, and had kept mostly to herself, avoiding villages and houses along her route.  Eventually the great spire of Dragonmount rose before her, a familiar and yet somewhat unfamiliar sight. 

She had not seen that great mountain for many long years.  She had ventured near, heading North to the Blight.  And of course she had seen other mountains, having gone right into the Spine of the World.  But Dragonmount had always made her catch her breath.  Its majesty as it rose out of the plains around Tar Valon could never be surpassed by anything she had seen in the World.

Eladari had decided it was finally time to come home.  When she had left, so many years before, it was to go out and explore the World.  At least, that’s what she had told herself through the first years of her travelling.  But eventually she realized that she had been running away from the Tower and from the memories that it held.  And perhaps she was also searching; searching for a piece of her that had gone missing now so long ago… 

It was nearing sunset as she crested a slight rise and saw a white glimmer below the peak of Dragonmount.  The White Tower.  It was so tall, almost challenging the peak that it fell under.  For a moment Eladari couldn’t help herself and her breath caught.  It was quite a sight as the evening sun shone its last rays onto the white stone.  Most of Tar Valon would be in shadow from Dragonmount, but the sun always stayed on the White Tower. 

Eladari nudged her horse forward.  She would stay in Osenrein for the night, the southernmost town on the East bank of the Erinin.  No one would remark on an Aes Sedai face there, nor would it be too likely that she would run into any of her Sisters.  She wanted to be fresh for her morning ride into the city and her return to the Tower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The morning sun was rising as Eladari straightened the saddlebags, rechecked the saddle and swung onto her horse.  It was still relatively quiet on the Cairhien Road, but soon it would be bustling.  She crossed the bridge and passed into the city, riding past the Ogier grove and up one of the main arcs of Tar Valon, towards the center of the Island, dominated by the Tower. 

She really wasn’t too sure what she’d find, once inside.  Of course she had heard about the changes of the Amyrlin Seat over the years, and she had also heard rumours of various adventures had by the Aes Sedai some about Ter’Angreal and others about the Black Ajah.  But all had been only rumours gleaned from her personal network spread across the land. 

Eladari arrived into the courtyard and was immediately assisted by a stable-hand.

“My name is Eladari Menaka, boy.  Please make sure that my things arrive in my room in the Green Ajah Quarters promptly.” 

That is, as long as they still kept my room, she thought drily. 

She took a deep mental breath, and ventured up the main stairs of the Tower. 

Veria was walking along the halls of the Green Ajah quarters enjoying the sun that was shining. She was dressed to work in the Warders Yards..her sword strapped to her back. She found she liked carrying it that way better than on her hip...it felt right there. Her form hugging breeches where comfy well worn in...her favorite.

As she came to the entrance of the Green Halls she saw a face she was not familiar with. Curious she walked over to the stranger...Who Veria found, was an sister by the look of her face.

"Greetings Sister. Are you in need of any assistance...I am not acquainted with you so assume you are newly returned?" Veria turned the last statement into more of a question and waited with a smile to hear what this sister would say. 

Eladari hurried at a stately pace through the Entrance Hall, her riding dress swishing around her ankles.  She didn't make any effort to meet eyes, looking upwards and straight ahead.  She would be much happier to just get to the Green Quarters and settle in before making any official return amongst the other Aes Sedai.  As it was, she didn't recognize too many of the Sisters she passed, and certainly none of the Accepted in their white banded dresses.  She had certainly been gone a long while. 

She headed up towards the Green Quarters, marveling, as she had often done, at the grandeur and size of the White Tower.  It could easily take 10 minutes to cross from one area of the Tower to another, through the many passages, stairwells, corridors and atriums.  Her favourite places had always been the gardens, and there were many private and secluded spots to be found in them.

As she made her way onwards, Eladari wondered about the Warders Yards.  I bet there are some wonderful new Warders looking for an Aes Sedai she mused.  It's probably about time I bonded again, even if I am now back in the safety of the Tower...  She would certainly have to find her way to the Yards before too long.

Finally Eladari was onto the last stairwell and into the entranceway of the Green Ajah corridors.  This was no doubt the most familiar place in the whole Tower to her and she could expect to see some wonderfully friendly faces here.  She almost smiled at the thought of re-acquainting with some of her Sisters. 

As she thought this, she noticed an unknown Sister approaching her.  The woman's manner, and certainly the sword on her back, indicated that she was a full Sister of the Green Ajah. 

"Greetings Sister. Are you in need of any assistance...I am not acquainted with you so assume you are newly returned?"  the woman asked, smiling. 

“Hello Sister,” replied Eladari, “My name is Eladari Menaka and I am just now newly returned to the Tower.  I am on my way to my rooms, though I’m unsure of what state I will find them in.”  She smiled warmly.  “Perhaps you would like to join me after your training,” her eyes flicked to the sword on the other woman’s back, “I would very much like to make the acquaintance of new Sisters and I’m sure you could tell me a thing or two about the goings-on I may have missed.” 

Kill two birds with one stone… thought Eladari, knowing that she would have to do this with many of the other Sisters, including the ones she knew.  There was lots of information to gather. 

Veria Nodded her acceptance to the graceous invitation.

"I would enjoy that Sister. I hope you find everything satisfactory. I will speak to you a few days. that way you are settled in and then we can have tea together."

She gave a small bow of her head and continued on her way. She planned to work hard today...Melenis was a slave driver!

OOC: Thanks for dropping by Veria!  It was great to meet you.  I'm open for other visitors now too!

IC:

"I would enjoy that Sister. I hope you find everything satisfactory. I will speak to you a few days. That way you are settled in and then we can have tea together."  The woman nodded her head and left Eladari. 

It was a moment before Eladari realised the Sister hadn't shared her name.  She smiled wryly, wondering how new the Sister was and remembering back to her first days in the Green Ajah.... there had been much training, and much to think about!  She probably would have forgotten to introduce herself as well!

She continued onward in the corridor finally arriving at the familiar door that led to her personal quarters.  She removed the Ward she had put on her door and stepped into her rooms.

Everything looked about as she remembered.  She had packed up well before leaving, placing white sheets over her furniture and tidying away any knick-knacks, but there was a thick layer of dust on everything.  She would certainly need a hand getting her rooms somewhat more livable. 

As she thought this, there was a light knock on the door.  A White Tower servant had arrived with her bags.  She had him leave her bags right inside the door, thanked him and sent him on his way. 

Eladari pulled a sheet off of her favourite sitting chair.  It was patterned brocade in a rich green.  It was the perfect chair for reading in and she had also spent many long hours in contemplation in that chair.  She sat down for a moment, thinking that a brief contemplation was just what she needed before getting to work……. 

Rasheta came through the halls of the tower sore and annoyed. She had been out training and had not done well, in doing poorly in her training she got angry. Anger was one of two emotions she seemed to allow herself to feel with any regularity. She was cursing her own foolishness for trying to learn from one of the better Gaidin out on the pratice yards when she noticed Veria and someone else standing in front of the Green halls. The other woman Rasheta did not know but Veria seemed to be making a good impression so Rasheta walked over. Veria Rasheta knew very well, as she had done Veria's inital tour of the Ajah and then trained her in her battle weaves she nodded to the young sister who by then was walking away. Rasheta followed her a few steps exchanging small talk. She then returned back to the door of the sister she did not know. She knocked and then nodded to the sister who looked up at her.

"I am Rasheta, You must be one of the sisters who is returning from outside the Tower. I am sure that you will be welcomed back by all." She tried to insert a small bit of warmth in her voice but it didn't seem to work. Rasheta sighed and added "I am sorry for my cool tone sister, I have been unable to feel much in the way of emotion since the loss of my warder several years back." She realized she was probably talking to much so she asked. "Was I interupting anything?"

• 2 weeks later...

OOC: sorry this took so long... it's been a busy couple weeks! 

Eladari heard a knock and looked up from her contemplation.  An unfamiliar woman was standing in the doorway.

"I am Rasheta, You must be one of the sisters who is returning from outside the Tower. I am sure that you will be welcomed back by all.  I am sorry for my cool tone sister, I have been unable to feel much in the way of emotion since the loss of my warder several years back.  Was I interupting anything?"

Eladari stood up gracefully from her spot and nodded her head in appreciation, a light smile playing across her face.  "Hello Rasheta and well met.  My name is Eladari and I have just now returned to the Tower.  Thank you for the kind welcome.  I will admit I am feeling a little lost in all this.  It has been many years that I have been away and there are so many unfamiliar faces."  She paused for a spell, glancing quickly around the room.  "You will have to excuse me though.  I would love to invite you in for tea however as you can see...." she let that trail off, gesturing with her hand.  "I do believe though that you and I have some things to discuss as I was much like you once.  When I have my business more in order I will call on you so that we may talk." 

She moved further forward, resting her hand lightly on the door.  "Oh, and Rasheta, do you happen to know if there are any Accepted who might be able to assist me in organizing my gear?  Or perhaps you could tell me who the current Mistress of Novices is?" 

• 2 weeks later...

"I do believe though that you and I have some things to discuss as I was much like you once.  When I have my business more in order I will call on you so that we may talk."

Rasheta gave a slow nod, she was sure many of the Greens had been through the loss of a warder and so she would welcome the advice of any who had gone through that before. She was going to back out and leave Eldari to her unpacking and speak to her later when the other sister asked.

"Oh, and Rasheta, do you happen to know if there are any Accepted who might be able to assist me in organizing my gear?  Or perhaps you could tell me who the current Mistress of Novices is?"  

Rasheta shook her head. "I am sorry sister I know little of the Accepted in the tower." She paused and added in a slow and sad voice. "I do not leave the green halls much." She shrugged adding "however the Mistress of Novices I can tell you." Her voice changed to drip with venom. "She is a Red sister her name is Larindhra Reyne." She shook herself she really shouldn't show her dislike of the reds as much as she did but she had a hard time helping it she really didn't like them. Allowing them to bond men who could channel now or not she still didn't like them. She bowed to Eldari and said "Forgive me I have a hard time with the Reds. I will leave you to your packing you can find Larindhra in her study most days. If not there i'm sure you know where the Reds are housed." She left quickly then promising herself she would get her voice under control when speaking of the Red Ajah. She would have to it would not do to get into a fight with one.

OOC: Thanks for the reply!

Eladari closed the door softly behind the other woman, allowing herself a slight smirk and shake of her head.  So a Red was Mistress of Novices.  She had nearly forgotten the amount of intrigues this Tower could hold, the least of which might have been the forever intense dislike between the Green and Red sisters.  No love was ever lost between the two Ajahs.  She wondered what this might mean to the state of the novices introduced into the Tower under this Mistress.  Perhaps fewer of them were turning to the Greens.  Something to investigate at some point, if another Sister had not done so already. 

Oh, it comes so easily thought Eladari to herself.  So few interactions with her sisters and already she was feeling herself being pulled back into the swirling current that was the intrigue in the Tower.  There was so much catching up, least of which was her rooms!  She supposed that she would have to find herself a Novice, seeing as there seemed to be no Accepted close to the Green Ajah.  She was certainly glad that it was yet early in the day, and that she had rested well the night before. 

With one last look around her rooms, she headed out the door, skirts swirling around her ankles.  She saw no one as she marched down the corridor, though she wondered how many of the rooms behind the doors were filled with Green sisters.  She made her way down the stairs and towards the Novice Quarters.  The way was a clear memory, even though many people claimed to get lost in the maze of the Tower.  After decades of walking the same corridors you do not forget....

Larindhra excited yet another perfectly clean novice room, pleased with what she had seen. The novices soon learned not to be afraid of her, but they did have a healthy respect for her right arm, should they put a foot over the line. Some of the newer ones, once they had gotten over their initial nerves, had mistaken her motherly attitude for a lenient one. It had only needed a good slippering and a few days of the dirtiest chores she could find for them, to set them straight. And set very straight they seemed to be. Larindhra believed in giving one warning only - those who did not want to hear, had to feel.

She never made public any punishments she doled out, but several novices snivelling whilst scrubbing privies, Tower stairs and passages made it clear enough. The rest had set about their own chores with renewed vigour, probably fearing similar treatment should they misstep by even a hair. The result was a Tower sparkling with cleanliness. Larindhra had to suppress a chuckle. Novices were supposed to do chores to build character, but she was hard put to find them anything to do, at the moment!

She was about to inspect yet another room when she spotted a Sister entering the Novice Quarters and looking around rather hesitatingly. The woman looked vaguely familiar, but Larindhra could not put a name to her. Deciding to investigate, she glided over and greeted her with a slight smile.

“Good day, sister. I’m Larindhra Reyne, Mistress of Novices. Is there any way I can help you?”

Larindhra Reyne

Mistress of Novices

As Eladari stepped into the Novice Quarters she at once noticed how wonderfully quiet it was in this part of the Tower.  She knew that by this hour of mid-morning most of the Novices should be deep in their studies, classes or chores.  She certainly hoped she could waylay one to help her!  She moved forward through the corridor and noticed another Sister approaching her.  The woman smiled, "Good day, sister. I’m Larindhra Reyne, Mistress of Novices. Is there any way I can help you?”

Ah, thought Eladari, So this was the good mistress of these corridors.  Well Red she may be but Eladari could tell already that this woman had every Novice properly under her thumb.  There was not even a speck of dirt on the hallway tiles. 

Eladari returned the smile, nodding her head slightly.  "Hello Sister Larindhra, my name is Eladari Menaka, of the Green Ajah.  I have of this morning returned to the Tower after a long absence and I find my rooms in a slight state of disarray.  I was hoping I might be able to waylay a Novice to clean them for me, and help me to unpack my things.  I expect I will need a girl available for a few days, at the least." 

On closer inspection, Larindhra thought this woman had a tale or two to tell. There was a hint of tiredness and loss in her eyes that she could not hide completely from a fellow sister. She inclined her head as the woman introduced herself as Eladari Menaka, of the Green Ajah, her smile warming slightly.

Larindhra’s eyes took on a gleam as the Green explained her needs. This task would suit her purpose very well indeed! Not only would the novice have to do her chore, but she could learn something in the process about the life of an Aes Sedai. Too many novices, and not a few Accepted, had stars in their eyes and fluff on their brains.

She looked around for a likely candidate, and spotted one almost immediately. “Nenen, come here child,” she called, then turned back to Eladari. “She’s young yet, but she shows signs of interest in the Green. She can only benefit from spending some time with one, even if only to clean,” she informed the sister with a slight wink. Her face became an inscrutable mask again as the novice reached them and curtsied. “Nenen, Eladari Sedai needs someone to set her rooms to rights. You’ll be excused from other chores until she is done with you. Do not disappoint me, child!”

“Eladari, my door is open to you if you need anything else. If you’ll forgive me now, I still have a few rooms to check here before I head back to my office. Welcome back, sister.”

Larindhra Reyne

Mistress of Novices

Nenen Kailadel was hurriedly tidying up her room after she had woken up slightly late.  She had taken a hurried wash of the face, and hurried back to her rooms to straighten it out before Larindha descended with frightening fury with her again.  She had spent the last few days stirring boiling soap that she eventually used to clean out her room after the second time she had been caught in an untidy room.  Breathing hurriedly, and trying to shove that memory out her head before she did something stupid.  Accidentally dropping her bottle, she caught it with one hand and nearly squeaked a curse in the meantime.

As she finished cleaning up the last mothball, the door slammed open, and Nenen squeaked with fright as a familiar presence filled the room.  Larindha surveyed the room with an eye and was about to speak when her attention was distracted.  Then, her gaze snapped back to Nenen, who shrank back against the wall, praying very hard that Larindha found her room satisfactory.  There was a nod of her head, and she sighed in enormous relief.

“Nenen, come here child,”  she called.  Turning back, she spoke something that was out of Nenen's earshot.  Once she had reached the door, she curtsied to her, and after that, saw another Aes Sedai.  She jumped and curtsied yet again.  “Nenen, Eladari Sedai needs someone to set her rooms to rights. You’ll be excused from other chores until she is done with you. Do not disappoint me, child!  Eladari, my door is open to you if you need anything else. If you’ll forgive me now, I still have a few rooms to check here before I head back to my office. Welcome back, sister.”

Her eyes growing rather wide, Nenen looked at Eladari Sedai, scanning her up and down.  She seemed to be Andoran, like Nenen, though her hair was brown, not gold, and her eyes were brown as well, in contrast to Nenen's blue.  And she was taller than Nenen, making her look rather intimidating.  She looked down on the floor, not sure as to what to do next, waiting for Eladari to make the next move before she did anything untoward.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Intimidated

OOC: Thanks for volunteering Arani!  sorry I wasn't more on top of the reply.

Eladari nodded as Larindha made her excuses and turned to go.  Her first impressions of the woman were certainly positive ones.  She seemed very efficient in her position and could certainly be seen to make novices scurry.  Eladari thought quickly back on her days as a novice, thinking of the little troubles she would get into with her room-mate Tanya.  Those days were a lot of work, and she would never forget the relief at finally having the Oaths settle into her. 

Eladari's gaze cleared and her eyes shifted to the woman standing before her, wide-eyed and young.  Most woman appeared young in their plain white novice dresses, and seemed so easily intimidated in their infinite need to please.  She really wasn't at all sure how to put the other woman at ease, or if she should even bother trying.  She certainly didn't need any information from her, just a simple task. Oh dear, thought Eladari, I seem rather out of practice around here.

"Well child," she finally addressed the woman, brushing her skirts down with her hands, "As Larindha Sedai said, I am Eladari Menaka, Sister of the Green Ajah. I have returned to the Tower after a significant absence and I would very much like to get resettled as easily as possible.  However I find that my rooms need setting to rights, a little bit of dusting and reorganizing, and of course my bags unpacked."  She paused, looking the other woman up and down thoroughly, then turned and started walking.  She knew she needn't glance back to know that Nenen was following, just a step behind.  "From what I gather of these novice halls," she continued, "organization and cleanliness are key, so I expect you have some practice in that.  When we arrive in my quarters you will find there are sheets on all my furniture.  I would appreciate if they be gone by the end of the day, and your priority today should be the linens.  I would certainly prefer to sleep in my own bed this evening, and not in a guest room of the Tower."  She glanced at the other woman to be sure she was understanding.  "Do you have any questions about your task?"

(OOC: Its fine.  I understand.  I myself am quite the busy at the moment)

"Well child," Eladari Sedai said, brushing her skirts after survey Nenen, "As Larindha Sedai said, I am Eladari Menaka, Sister of the Green Ajah. I have returned to the Tower after a significant absence and I would very much like to get resettled as easily as possible.  However I find that my rooms need setting to rights, a little bit of dusting and reorganizing, and of course my bags unpacked."

Nenen's eyes widened.  Cleaning!  So that was what it was about.  Nenen sighed inwardly.  She had had quite enough of cleaning, but refusing an Aes Sedai while you were an Accepted was simply not done.  So when Eladari Sedai went off down the corridor, she rushed to keep up, trying to match Eladari's stride with her own.

"From what I gather of these novice halls," Eladari Sedai continued, "organization and cleanliness are key, so I expect you have some practice in that.  When we arrive in my quarters you will find there are sheets on all my furniture.  I would appreciate if they be gone by the end of the day, and your priority today should be the linens.  I would certainly prefer to sleep in my own bed this evening, and not in a guest room of the Tower.  Do you have any questions about your task?"

Nenen considered the torrent of information.  Sheets on furniture?  What was that?  But never mind that, she would find out when she got there.  "Umm, no.  Not at the moment Eladari Sedai, though I will know when I get there."  Eladari nodded and continued on, leading her into the Green Ajah quarters.  Nenen noticed the swords decorating the doors of the Green Ajah.  What significance they held, she did not know.  But Eladari continued on until she came to a stop right in front of a door, which she pulled open, and creaked rustily on its hinges.

The floor was covered in dust from head to foot, and Nenen started to sneeze repeatedly as the wind stirred the dust in the room up.  Staggering out and waving a hand to clear her nose, she sniffed tentatively.  Holding her breath, she went in again, treading carefully.

This place needed some serious cleaning.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Apprehensive

Eladari grimaced slightly with Nenen's reaction to her rooms.  She knew she could have had a regular cleaning arranged for them, but she felt it better to leave them alone for her absence, not sure of who would be coming and going within them.

She followed Nenen back into her quarters.  "As you can see, I did cover the furniture to keep some of the dust off of it.  It will need uncovering, and the sheets washed and put away," she sniffed lightly, waving her hand to take in the room, "Of course there is lots of other dusting to be done as well."  She walked through the sitting room, stirring dust up in her riding skirts and paused in one of the doorways leading off from it.  Turning back to look at Nenen, she continued, "As I said though, it would be best if you could concentrate on getting my bed room cleaned first, and some new linens laid out in time for evening.  You should find fresh sheets in the chest at the foot of the bed.  Please give them an airing out.  Also, please unpack my clothing bags before you move on to cleaning other rooms in my quarters." 

She smiled lightly, her brown eyes meeting Nenen's directly.  "I do not expect you to be done today, child, and would much prefer to see a good job done slowly than a poor one too quickly.  As long as I have a clean bed to sleep in and some fresh clothes for the morrow, I will be content with your work of today."

Eladari walked back across the rooms to the door and the Accepted.  "Now, is that clear to you?  I will not be staying here to supervise," she added drily, "I am sure you are competent without me.  However, if you do have any questions you should find me somewhere within these Green Halls." 

• 2 months later...

(OOC: If your still around, sorry cos I had a major mental breakdown from rping)

"I do not expect you to be done today, child, and would much prefer to see a good job done slowly than a poor one too quickly.  As long as I have a clean bed to sleep in and some fresh clothes for the morrow, I will be content with your work of today.  Now, is that clear to you?  I will not be staying here to supervise," Eladari added drily, "I am sure you are competent without me.  However, if you do have any questions you should find me somewhere within these Green Halls."

Curtsying, Nenen turned to the task before her as the door closed with a firm snap, raising more dust and causing her to sneeze further.  First thing is to wipe the floor of this large amount of grime.  She thought grimly, and finding a new hankerchief in the chest, wetted it and tied it around her head, covering her nose so that dust could not distract her, though it did have the unfortunate effect of making her look like some sort of pirate or raider.  Smiling at her look in the mirror, she went to work with a will.

Soon, she was taking brooms and dustpans and sweeping the dust off the floor.  And whatever other dirt that had been collected over the past years or so.  Even through the hankerchief, her nose twitched and itched, signifying the amount of dirt in the room.  But she perserved, and in the end, after an hour or two of tramping about carrying dust in pans and throwing it out of the window, she had finished sweeping the floor.  But now she had to make it sparkling clean.

Wiping her watering eyes and her nose, she threw away the hankerchief and stole a new one from the chest.  Taking a large towel, she wetted it in the nearby toilet, and set to work scrubbing the floors, lather and soap up to her arms as she worked tirelessly throughout the day, ignoring the tempting rumbles of her stomach as she missed her lunch, working with a will and exploring the rooms.  There were large tapestries depicting battles she did not recognize, but were mesmerizing all the same.

But apart from staring at them for about a good fifteen minutes, she was not distracted from her task, and it was nearly dinner time, when the sky had darkened, that the floor was finished.

Taking up the dirty sheets, she stacked them in the corner to be washed, and took new sheets from the chest, arranging it nicely on the bed, changing the pillow covers and anything else on the bed.  She had finally gotten rid of the wet hankerchief.  It had been put aside nicely, folded neatly on top of the old stack of bedsheets.  Smiling, she surveyed the scene before her.  A shining bedroom greeted her eyes as she took out some fresh clothes from the chest and laid them neatly folded on the bed.

Eladari would be coming in soon.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Satisfied