DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Frozen Forsaken Flirting in TR

GrandpaG

Somehow in my first four reads of Fires of Heaven I missed it when Birgette told Nynaeve that she had seen the Forsaken spying on each other in TR before they were freed from the Bore.  She actually said they were in pairs watching one another.

Doesn't this mean that even though only one of them was free to enter the world of the living that the others could still have 3,000 years to plan what they would do when they were free?  Even with their mutual mistrust, none of them were stupid.  They must have conceded after a few hundred years that it was in their best interest to develop a plan.

The wonder girls can channel in TR, right?  Why wouldn't the Forsaken have that same ability?  Any one of them could have balefired any or all of the others like a sniper shooting ducks on a pond.  How did they resist that urge for 3,000 years?

As usual, my wires are probably all short circuited.  Just found that interesting and don't remember reading it in the forums before.

Love,

Gramps.

In the chapter "Meetings".  About 20 paragraphs in.  Page 273 of my paperback version.  Page 195 of my hardcover.

Nynaeve is talking with Birgitte in the T'A'R Heart of the Stone.  She has just asked "None of them have seen you?" meaning she hoped none of the Forsaken had noticed Birgitte watching them in T'A'R.  Birgitte responds in the next paragraph:

"I am not so unskilled -- or so foolish -- as to allow that."  Birgitte leaned on her silver bow; legend said she never missed with that bow and her silver arrows.  "They are concerned with each other, not anyone else.  I have seen Rahvin and Sammael, Graendal and Lanfear, each stalking the others unseen.  And Demandred and Semirhage each shadowing them as well.  I have not seen so much of them here since they were freed."

She used to watch them spying on each other; sometimes alone, sometimes in pairs.  The last sentence implies that this was prior to them being freed.  Am I reading it wrong?

She's saying they're more active in the dream world lately. They were coming there off and on since being freed, but now they are very active. She couldn't say she's never seen them that active because that would imply she never saw then in TR during the Age of Legends. Since being freed though, this is the most active point.

I think that "here" might be a key word, too. They are talking about the Stone of Tear, and perhaps all Birgitte is saying is that suddenly, the Stone is the hot spot, the happening FS nightclub. Ever since they were freed, she has seen them spying on each other, but now, they're all suddenly hanging out at the Stone. She might mean the TAR Stone, and not just TAR.

Lanfear says that she had been in a dreamless sleep, so it would seem that TAR had been denied her during her long nap. In fact, she seems upset about that very fact--that she could not even dreamwalk while sealed in the Bore.

She used to watch them spying on each other; sometimes alone, sometimes in pairs.  The last sentence implies that this was prior to them being freed.  Am I reading it wrong?

Also, from Encyclopedia - WOT (Summary of Ch 14 "Meetings" TFoH) - Nynaeve asks about the Forsaken. Birgitte responds that she has seen Lanfear often, also Rahvin, Sammael, Graendal, Demandred and Semirhage all stalking each other. They are more active now than any time since they were freed.

I have to agree with the others.  I've always thought that Birgitte is making reference to somewhat recent events after they were all freed and unsealed!

Archived