DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Answering a Summons ((Attn: Eqwina))

Sieve

The sun was already beginning its descent though unfortunately there were still several hours of sunlight left.  Kennar preferred the cover that night allowed.  He walked the streets of Tar Valon plainly dressed so to fit it with the common folk in the city.  The hustle and bustle of Tar Valon made it easy to fit in or get lost in the crowd if that is what you wished.  How many Friends of the Dark inhabitted the island city?  The Dark One be thanked for these light blinded fools had no idea.  Come to think of it neither did Kennar.  He knew of a few though he doubted he knew the whole of it.

Kennar kept a wary eye, in his business you could never be too careful.  Occasionally he stopped near a street peddler to view their wares and look around to make sure he wasn't being followed.  He did not trust the little witch as far as he could through her.  He had been in Tar Valon a little over two years now and knew the city quite well.  The Ogier made buildings were truly wonderous, how they could construct buildings in such odd shapes was beyond him.  Some of them casted odd shadows which made it easy to hide or provided excellent handholds with which to climb.

Finding the building where he had been summoned he took a few minutes to study its surroundings and watch the people coming and going.  The little shop's entrance was a couple paces down an alley.  It seemed to have very few patrons this time of the day.  That was common though as most people were having their afternoon meal.  After studying the building for half an hour Kennar poked his head inside.  It was a shop that carried tools of his long time trade.  Writing tables, steel nibbed pens, bottles of ink in every imaginable color, sheets of parchment of varying quality among other supplies filled the little shop.  That was all seen with his peripheral vision as his eyes were locked on the little witch sitting impatiently at a small table where customers could sample the shops wares.

A thousand thoughts popped into his head as to why he was summoned.  It should have made him smile though at the moment all he could muster was anger for the woman.  A little over two years he spent in training to sharpen his skills as she called it with very little opportunity to do what he enjoyed best, killing.  The truth of it was that he should thank the little woman for his skill with weapons had improved exponentially. 

Kennar made his way over to the table as he watched the store's owner flip the sign indicating the store was closed.  The man barred the front door then retired to the back of the shop.  With the owner gone they were alone.  So where was that other fellow?  Corwin was his name though Kennar had not been able to learn much else about him.  A dangerous man, a man you did not want to give the advantage of surprise. 

Kennar kept his face smooth and his voice low though trying to tamp down his anger.  He bowed his head in respect though that was all she would get for now.  With her he was not the meek little secretary but the overconfident man who thought far too much of himself.  "A little over two years since we met face to face, why now?" Well a little anger crept into his voice.  Clearly she knew he had been raised to Tower Guard though why let her know that he knew.  "I hope you finally have more use for my skills.  These past two years have been beyond dull."  He had been busier than she was aware though why let her know that either.         

The going ons of the Tower were always an open book to her.  It didn’t take much to find out who had done what, when and where and with whom. In Tar Valon, for an Aes Sedai, all questions were answered without delay and usually more information was given than was asked. It was through her weekly ‘checks’ on Kennar that she was able to find out about his recent raising to Tower Guard.

He’d not been an exceptional student, nor the worst, he seemed to be average in almost every way. To most it would make him completely forgettable, to Eqwina it made him the perfect tool. She’d used him for a few things over the years, but certainly nothing that allowed him to use his touted skills. While he’d been a trainee she’d been unable to show too much interest in him, but now that he was raised it would be possible to escalate their relationship. On the heels of Corwin’s death it would have to be handled delicately. Most sisters would not even look at another man for years after their warder died and it had been only weeks for her. At the same time she could use his death as an excuse to acquire help, after all who could focus on menial tasks when there was mourning to do.

Cautious as always she chosen to meet him well away from prying eyes. She knew of a shopkeeper in the city who often sent messages for her, and was discreet almost beyond belief. She assured his discretion with idle threats and hand full’s of gold. When she’d be plucked from the Supreme Council to be sat at its head the man had already been in the Head’s service and tried to press his bounds. A quiet ‘talk’ that had left him unable to leave his bed for a week had set his head to rights and ever since he’d been the perfect agent.  Eqwina knew that trust ran shallow in her world, and had predicted Kennar’s early arrival. Not wanting to be seen entering or caught by surprise by the newly raised Tower guard she’d gone under cover of night to hold up in the old man’s shop. There had been plenty to keep her occupied while she waited. Several new ciphered messages had arrived and almost as many had to go back out.

Hearing the jingle of bell on the door she tucked the remainder of her letters into a folder and slipped them under her seat. Sitting up tall, or as tall as her small stature would allow, she adjusted her dark gray silks and folded her hands on the table. A small wicked smile played on her lips, but her eyes were empty pools of emerald green. "A little over two years since we met face to face, why now?" Arching an eyebrow at his lack of respect she let it go for now, but made a mental note in her head. When his use was up the boy would pay in blood for all the disrespect he’d shown. "I hope you finally have more use for my skills.  These past two years have been beyond dull."

Motioning to the seat across the table from her, Eqwina allowed her smile to grow larger and more flagitious. Sitting down in that seat would put his back to not only the front door, but the back room as well. Not a comfortable position for a man used to dealing in dark places. “Perhaps I just missed the sight of you Kennar. Some women do enjoy the ordinary.”   Her laugh was more of a cackle to show how absurd the thought had been. As quick as the sickly sound had started it cut off and she faced him augers for eyes. “ You will be happy with what I choose to give you, even if you spend ten years without touching your arts. Never think I won’t know if you stray and choose to dabble in your passion unordered. I know everything that happens in this city and the likes of you will not be able to keep such a deed from my ears.”

Pursing her full lips she eyed him expectantly waiting for some outburst and response. Laughing gaily when none came she reached across the table to pat his arm. “It seems I was right, your time with the Warders did more than just improve your skills with a weapon. It also taught you to hold your tongue. A good trait in a man.”

Silence was a powerful tool and for a time she watched while Kennar squirmed. It would only make him for malleable for what she wanted. “I do not know if you have heard the rumors, but my warder..Corwin? he met with an unfortunate accident a little time back. He was found with his throat slit, drowned in his own blood. A messy thing, that.” She clicked her tongue and shook her head. “It was truly a waste of a good sword.” Inside her heart ached and her stomach boiled with bile, but outside she was a calm, cold blooded killer with eyes staring at its next prey.

Kennar took the seat that the little Aes Sedai motioned to even though it put him at a decided disadvantage.  He did not like having his back exposed though he was confident enough in his abilities to detect another person, particularly one attempting to sneak up on him.  He may have appeared relaxed though he was ready to move in the blink of an eye.  He was not fool enough to become complacent around the little Aes Sedai.  Kennar preferred to call her the little witch though he did not want it to become habit.  Slipping and saying it in her presence would probably bring him pain and discomfort beyond compare.  As much as it angered him to give her the honorific it was better than the alternative. 

Eqwina's cackle sent a chill down his spine and her eyes were augers, it was unsettling though he tried to maintain his composure.  There was no doubt who was in control and she made it a point to remind him quite often.  No matter how well he thought of himself, she could still bind him up with the one power and beat him senseless or kill him for that matter with little effort on her part.  He prayed for the Great Lord of the Dark to protect him vowing to continue to be a faithful servant.  Despite the prayer he needed to stay in the little Aes Sedai's good graces if he wanted to keep his hide intact.  He had been sent to serve her after all.  He had already gotten off on the wrong foot with her and she made certain that he was aware of it.  He needed to show her that he was her faithful servant.  She reached for him and he nearly flinched as if her arm was a red adder.

The Great Lord protect him but how did the little woman manage to seem so commanding?  How much more was there about her that he did not know?  It shamed him to admit it but her knew very little about her other than the obvious.  It was not as if he could question other Aes Sedai about the little woman.  His fate was tied to this woman so it was inportant for him that she succeed in her service with the Great Lord of the Dark.  So how much did this woman truly know?  His thoughts were all over the place, a sign that he was unsettled.  Take care when dealing with her you fool he thought furiously at himself.

“I do not know if you have heard the rumors, but my warder..Corwin? he met with an unfortunate accident a little time back. He was found with his throat slit, drowned in his own blood. A messy thing, that.” At first he thought perhaps that she had killed him though her reaction said otherwise. “It was truly a waste of a good sword.” 

Kennar had heard of the death and had even seen the man, he was a very dangerous man.  Now the man was dead but by whose hand?  and he was her warder?  That he certainly had not reasoned out.  The lack of knowledge made him feel more uneasy about his current situation.  As much as he tried to maintain his composure he could not help but squirm during the silence that ensued after her harangue.  The room suddenly seemed too small for his liking.  His head turned to survey the room even though his senses told him that they were still alone.  Her gaze on him sent tremors through his body.

He got up from his chair slowly so as to not seem a threat then bowed deeply.  "My apologies Great Mistress, it seems I have forgotten myself.  I am your man to command as you wish.  I am your faithful servant."  Kennar would have knelt and kissed the hem of her dress if she would have let him that close.  For the first time he did nothave thoughts of killing the Aes Sedai.  Somehow he knew his fate was tied to her.  His only chance of survival was to make certain that he served her well.  Exactly how powerful was she?  Was she one of the Chosen in disguise?  One thing was for certain, she was the master.  He had a choice, well there was no choice really.  It was either be her faithful hound or he could die a very painful death. 

Eqwina drummed her fingers on the table top and watched Kennar stand up to bow to her. She had no doubt that part of his decision to do such was to try and dampen her anger and regain some of her trust. None of which he would manage in just one afternoon. A part of her wished she could just give him orders and send him on his way, the problem was she wasn’t sure herself what she’d intended when she called this meeting.

On silent feet the old shopkeeper came through the door with a tray of wine and cheese. Eqwina watched with amusement as Kennar tensed and tried to keep his face forward, though his eyes did cut trying to see what was coming at his back. When the old man had disappeared again Eqwina motioned Kennar back to his chair. “Sit down you fool. I know you are faithful, if I suspected different you would be as dead as Corwin.” With flows of air she poured wine for them both and smiled over the rim of her glass. No doubt he would suspect poison in the wine, a trick she distained to use. “Relax Kennar, you have known me two years. That should be long enough to know that I don’t kill without good reason or provocation. If I did your skills would have been put to far more use.”

“Now for the reason I brought you here. I would like to talk to you about taking up a position in my service. It is nothing as glorious as being a Warder I am afraid, but it is a job you could accept publically. It will make certain dealings of our relationship easier. You can of course refuse and things can stay as they have been, but I assure you that you will not find the work onerous or difficult.”

“You would be something like a servant” She smirked at that. A man with an ego so large wouldn’t like wearing that title. A few other sisters in the Tower used a particular Tower Guard for many of their tasks. Sometimes it was friendship, other times it was courting a warder, and less frequently it was simply having a trusted face to run errands. Had Eqwina been Brown Ajah the act wouldn’t have been commented at all, though being the Head of her Ajah and a Sitter did allow her a few more allowances. No doubt a few would think she meant to bond the man quickly to replace the loss of Corwin, but let them talk..she was used to being the topic of rumors. Thank the Dark Lord none of them were mentioned as more than quirks, of a Sister who had spent her first years in the Tower as a very weak recluse.

“So Kennar, can I count on your help as my assistant?”

Kennar felt the man approaching, he couldn't help but feel vulnerable.  As much as he was able to keep his face orward he could not help his eyes darting to the side to catch a glimpse of the shopkeeper.  The Great Lord be thanked for the man left as quickly as he came.  “Sit down you fool. I know you are faithful, if I suspected different you would be as dead as Corwin.”

Kennar took the seat as ordered though he dare not relax, how could he when she flung the name of her dead warder about as if it were of no consequence.  A constant reminder of his fate should he cross her.  He tried to control his shock as she poured wine for both of them with the one power, he had unpleasant thoughts of people using the power around him.  If she tried to unsettle him by smiling over the rim of her glass.  “Relax Kennar, you have known me two years. That should be long enough to know that I don’t kill without good reason or provocation. If I did your skills would have been put to far more use.”  If her words were supposed to put him at ease then it did not work.  In spite of her assurances he could not help but sniff the wine waiting for her to drink first.

Kennar listened eagerly as Eqwina spoke of serving her directly.  No more hiding who or what he was.  It was very appealing and the thought made him smile.  She said he could refuse and things would remain as they were though he doubted that.  Refuse this position an he was as good as dead.  Staying close to her meant that he had a better chance of survival and increasing his standing amongst Firends of the Dark.  It all sounded good until she said “You would be something like a servant.”  Her smirk was confirmation that she new the title would cut him deeply.

“So Kennar, can I count on your help as my assistant?”  As if there was any decision to make on his part.

Kennar was certain that the shopkeeper was a Friend though he lowered his voice in any case so that only the little Aes Sedai could here him.  "I did not spend two years of my life having my face rubbed in the dirt by these light-blinded fools to turn back now."  He didn't stop there, he told her about the horrors of training over the past two years.  He told her of the lack of sleep, of pushing his body to the limit and beyond, of enduring the preachings of these light-blinded fools.  He told her all of it in detail.  The sole reason he endured the grueling training was that she had ordered him to do it, in service to the Great Lord.  After all that he had done at a simple order from her and she had to ask if she could count on his help!

"So the answer is yes, you can count on my help as your assistant."   

Nodding to herself Eqwina sipped her wine. “I know the Warder training is not easy, but it was necessary if we were to ever have hope of coming into the open with our arrangement. Perhaps…..someday..” She flipped her hand as if to say some time far in the future. “I will allow you to exact your revenge on those that made it most miserable for you.”

The hint of revenge made the irritating little man’s face light up, and he almost seemed to quiver with the desire to kill. “I said ‘perhaps’ Kennar, so please focus.” Reaching out her hands she only laughed when he flinched as she took his head between his hands. First she wove healing and delved him to cure any hurts, before placing another less complicated weave around him. Suspicion and hate intermingled with fear played on Kennar’s face as she sat back down and went back to her wine. “It’s nothing that can hurt you. It’s only a small thing that allows me to keep an eye on you when you are from my sight.”

“Now to talk about my first requirement of you. There is a woman…” She proceeded to tell him of the Innkeeper just inside the cities North gate that couldn’t hold her tongue. “It has to be done quietly, and with no mess. Murders do not happen in Tar Valon so unless you are sure that it looks like an accident, or you can pin it on another you had better leave the city and never turn back. Even still, the White Tower hounds would be on your trail within the hour, and I of course would be forced to cooperate.” Her eyes carried the threat of death if he failed.

Dipping into her belt pouch she pulled out a few coins and slid them across the table. “Consider this payment for your services. I expect a full report when you are done.”

“Any questions my little fox?” He may not be as deadly as Corwin had been, but his affiliations made him of far more use. 

Kennar was so excited over the prospect of paying back those that made his life miserable over the past two years that he did not see her hands reaching for his head.  The joy of exacting revenge was quickly washed away by fear then terror as Eqwina took his head in her hands.  He was not sure if the odd feeling manifested of his own imagination or had something to do with the power.  His face contorted as the possibilities played out in his head. 

Kennar was so caught up in wondering what Eqwina had done that he did not even realize that she had sat down.  “It’s nothing that can hurt you. It’s only a small thing that allows me to keep an eye on you when you are from my sight.”  He looked up to see her sipping on her wine.  The Great Lord of the Dark preserve him he muttered to himself.  This little Aes Sedai had him wrapped around her finger.  The odd thing is that he did not know if that was such a bad thing, somehow he knew his fate was tied to her.

The day's events were so unsettling that he only half heard her tell him of the woman who needed to be dealt with.  Even with half his mind on the task it made him smile, a decidely mischievous smile.  His smile slipped a bit as he saw the threatening look from the Aes Sedai, failure was not an option.

Kennar took the proferred coins placing them in his pouch.  One could never have too much coin and the pay of a Tower Guard was nothing special to speak of.  He nodded as she mentioned that she wanted a full report when it was over.

“Any questions my little fox?”  "No Great Mistress" he said respectfully as he dipped his head.  He couldn't hold back the smile that formed on his face just thinking of how the Innkeeper would meet her fate.

Eqwina watched as Kennar ghosted out into the night. She’d saddled herself with a red adder, one that would have to be watched closely. He had yet to earn her complete trust. Ringing the small brass bell she smiled at the old man when he entered. “I take it your men were in place?” He nodded in return and took up the seat Kennar had vacated. “Very good. Now here is what I still need from you….”

Having Kennar to run errands and take care of her messier work was all well and good, but she still needed a whole team to do her bidding. Giving the old coot the rest of his instruction she pulled out her papers and began working again. It shouldn’t take more than a few hours for them to return and her spies should be back even before Kennar had finished. They were not watch and report, even if the man failed, they had been told not to lift a finger until he was gone. So, no matter what the woman would meet her fate this evening. She'd spoken too freely too many times to be trusted any longer.

Writing out her next message Eqwina actually smiled thinking of the havoc she would be able to reek when all her plans fell into place.

• 2 months later...

Slipping into the shadows Kennar had to fight to keep the grin from his face.  When he first received the summons he was intent on making his new mistress feel the pain from the past two years.  Two years which he spent in complete and utter misery.  The prospect of doing her dirty work left him too elated to be angry with the little Aes Sedai.

The door open spilling some light onto the roof for a moment until the door quickly closed behind the innkeeper.  She hurried to the pigeon coops, her vision focused on the little birds that would spread her gossip.  Their wings began flapping causing quite a commotion as she approached her little messengers. 

The rooftop was pitch black though Kennar's eye were well adjusted to the night.  As the innkeeper opened the coop, Kennar grabbed her from behind covering her mouth with one hand while his other arm held her tight.  A few threats whispered in her ear were enough to paralyze her for the moment.  He could have been quick about this murder though at times he liked to toy with his victims, even let them know who was killing them if it was personal.  This was not personal though he wanted her to know why she was dying.  The pigeons flew the coop as they realized that the door was open.

"You should have held your tongue woman.  The Great Lord despises those in his service who fail him.  Your mistress is equally displeased!"  He told her, his hot breath caressing her ear.  He laughed softly as the realization sunk in that he was there to kill her.  The innkeeper began to squirm trying to scream for help though nothing could be heard over the commotion of the fleeing pigeons.  Taking his arm from around her waist, Kennar reached up and snapped her neck.  He let her body fall from the rooftop into the abandoned alley alonside the inn.  The pleasant thud of her body falling four stories to the ground was inaudible over the noise on the rooftop. 

With a smile on his face Kennar made his way to the shadow of an adjacent rooftop.  Kennar took one last look at the innkeeper's lifeless body lying in the alleyway then turned to go.  A flicker of motion caught his eye and he stopped in his tracks.  A shadowed figure stepped from the darkness of the alley studying the innkeeper's body.  The man, he was certain it was a man, booted the body to make sure she was dead.  In the blink of an eye the man was gone. 

Kennar thought of going after the man though it meant going near the body and risking being found with the body.  Muttering an oath he took off in the other direction using the shadows for cover.  So somebody was watching him, was it his mistress or was someone else also interested in the innkeeper.  He was certain he wasn't followed which meant that the watcher was in position already.  Pushing the thoughts from his head he decided to think on it later.  For now he had to concentrate on leaving the scene without being spotted. 

Hours later he returned to his mistress to report his success.  He studied the room again as he entered then approached his mistress with a smile on his face as if it were all fun and games.  Well in truth it was mostly fun for him.  "She will not utter another word Great Mistress."  Kennar told the Aes Sedai nonchalantly. 

Telling her the outcome got as much reaction as if he just announced that water was wet.  So she knew already.  Just how far did her network of eyes and ears extend.  This little Aes Sedai was as dangerous as one could be.  Kennar decided right then and there that it would be much to his benefit if he remained her faithful servant.  Crossing her just did not seem wise given her extensive resources.  Not to mention that she could kill him with the power as quickly and easily as blinking an eye.  If nothing more he was going to have fun in her service.   

Several hours passed and Eqwina lost herself in her work, the pile of papers growing smaller and smaller, until only one last remained. She had not heard from her scouts, so that meant the job was not yet done. Either her little killer was taking his time, or he had lost his nerve. She trusted her scouts with her life and had no fear that the task would be done. It would just be best for Kennar if it were by his hand.

Her emerald eyes were scanning the last page when the door to the shop opened inward. Resisting the urge to look up she didn’t take her eyes from the words.

"She will not utter another word Great Mistress."

Nodding and waving him to take a seat, as if the entire affair were off no consequence, she waited several minutes before speaking. Silence was a powerful tool, but Kennar did not even flinch. It seems he has more nerve than I first suspected

Setting the paper aside and folding her hands primly on the table, she looked up at last. “It is well for you that she died. Tell me…how did the wretched woman spend her last moments? It was painful I hope?”  Lest the man start thinking she was squeamish she beggared every detail of her death out of him. Making him describe in detail her last breaths.  “You were not seen I hope? My influence reaches wide, but not even I could save you from the headsmen if you were caught.”

It was time to test his trustworthiness

Kennar glowed as he retold the tale of the innkeeper's death.  It would have been obvious to a fool that he was elated.  Kennar was careful not to over do it lest she think him mad.  He was still revelling in the remembrance of his grand performance when he realized that she had spoken.

What had she said?  She was wondering if he had been seen.  Yes that's it, she asked if he had been seen.  Locking eyes with his mistress he spoke.  "None save for your man."  Kennar had thought long and hard on his way back.  Eqwina's face gave nothing away though he was still certain the watcher was in her employ.  It was the only scenario that made sense.  The Aes Sedai would want to ensure that she could not be connected to the murder.  If he was off the mark then he would have some work ahead of him to discover the identity of the watcher and discover why he had been there and why he seemed satisfied that the innkeeper had met her demise.  He was certain the man could not identify him but it would be unwise to take a chance. 

Nervous moments passed in silence while he waited for his mistress to speak.  It was an effort to stand still under her gaze.  In spite of her diminutive appearance she possessed a commanding presence and a penetrating gaze that could unsettle the soulless.

Eqwina did not move, she hardly breathed. She had never thought that her men had much stealth; they were all tavern brawlers who thought with their muscles. It was why she needed Kennar, but how had he known they were her men?

Tossing her hair back from her face Eqwina pursed her lips and fixed the young man with a hard stare. “My man you say?” Her voice was light and held a question too innocent to be believed. “What makes you think I would have a man following you? Do you think I have nothing better to do with my time then have you followed? If I trusted you that little I would not have you as my hound.”

Pushing back her chair she stood and walked around the table to stand over Kennar. “ Since you were seen this time you will not be paid, and if there is any trouble from this I will kill you myself. Do you understand?” He nodded and she reached out and grabbed a fistful of his head, forcing his head back to expose his neck. Using Saidar she wove bands of air and tightened them around his exposed flesh. “Next time you will not be seen, or else I will be forced to be very angry with you.” She pulled the bands tighter until his face began to grow red, and his eyelids fluttered and drooped. At the moment between losing consciousness and death Eqwina released him and move another weave laying it around his head. It sank in during the confusion, making him more susceptible to her suggestions.

“Tell me how you feel about me Kennar, the real truth this time.”

“My man you say?”  “What makes you think I would have a man following you? Do you think I have nothing better to do with my time then have you followed? If I trusted you that little I would not have you as my hound.”  The context of her words warred with the tone only adding to his confusion.  Kennar was certain that the man was in her employ.  Could he have been wrong, it would not be the first time.

His mind raced as she stood and walked over to where he sat.  She somehow managed to loom over him despite her small stature.  How did she do that.  He had no time to ponder the thought as he now concentrated on her words.  Not paid? She threatened to kill him if he was discovered.  She saw his performance as a failure?  Panic surged through him, his mind raced for an escape.  He could not run, he had been commanded to serve her.  He could not disobey yet to remain might mean death.  The Great Lord preserve him but he could not see a way out.  He had no choice but to nod when prompted.  He could not speak at the moment.

Grabbing a fistful of his hair his mistress bent his head back. His neck constricted though he didn't move.  Squirming would only make it tighter he thought.  It was even more unsettling that he could not see what was cutting off his air flow.  It had to be the power, the very thought was unnerving.  She had used the power on him before and he would have preferred not to recall the memories.

“Next time you will not be seen, or else I will be forced to be very angry with you.”  She was not angry with him yet? If this was not anger then he did not want to be around her when she considered herself to be angry.  He had little time for thought as the invisible neuse grew tigther around his neck cutting off his supply of air.  His vision began to go dark.  He was going to die.  Alarmed he tried to move but could not.  He had been promised immortality if he served the Great Lord faithfully and he had done so.  This sinister witch who was his mistress was going to kill him none the less.  His world was going black, a dim light shone.  He would have prayed to the Creator as a last ditch effort though he had given up that foolishness long ago.

Darkness enveloped him...suddenly he could breath again, gasping for air he gulped it in yet it burned.  His body was all pins and needles yet he was alive...alive!  It was as if his prayer to the Great Lord had been answered.  His wits were slowly returning.  A voice he barely recognized echoed in his head.  Who's voice?  His eyes had not focused yet. 

“Tell me how you feel about me Kennar, the real truth this time.”  Aghast he began to speak, to his surprise he felt compelled to speak the truth.  What madness was this?  He needed time to recover, certainly the lack of oxygen had left him befuddled.  No matter how much time he took he still felt the need to tell the truth.  It was madness yet he spoke.

"You are beautiful but I hate you with every fiber of my being.  I hate that you have subjected me to two years of misery without explaining why I was sent to train in the yards.  I hate that you beat and torment me and that I can do nothing about it.  I hate you for it, all of it!"  It was madness, he should shut his mouth now and beg mercy yet he felt the pull to continue.  No you fool! he shouted at himself.  Shut up and beg for mercy.  He couldn't so he went on.  "As much as I hate you I feel that my stock will rise in the eyes of the Great Lord through my faithful deeds in your service.  I feel as if I am tied to you somehow.  I don't understand it but I wish to serve you faithfully.  I hate that I wish it to be so but it is true.  As wrong as it is I see my future in your service."  The Great Lord preserve him but he could not keep his mouth shut.  Something inside him told him it was wrong but he wanted to answer her truthfully.  He wanted to answer her truthfully and he was happy that he had done so.

Like a faithful hound he awaited other instructions from his mistress.  He desperately wanted to please her.

Eqwina’s lips grew thinner with every word, and the death grip that held his head back grew tighter. She had killed people for less scorn than his voice held when he spoke of his hate, but she did not kill for honesty.

His feeble words could not hurt her, and she felt better knowing his true emotions. Greed and the desire to raise ones station in life should be enough to hold him to her, and if not….a tiny implanted comment wouldn’t hurt.

Leaning down close to his face until her eyes must have filled his entire vision she spoke softly, and with calming self assurance.  “If any harm befalls me by your hand or any other, you will live a thousand years suffering the painful attentions of our Masters most wicked creatures. Serve me well and perhaps you will be granted immortality and stand at my side for all time.” Releasing the weave and his head she scrubbed her hands off on the silk of her skirt. Scrub as she would they didn’t feel clean; the man was a necessary danger in her life but that didn’t mean she had any desire to be so close.

The effect of the weave took minutes to wear off and she took the time to regain her seat, folding her hands on the table to wait for his coherence to return. He would remember telling her the truth and his mind would find its own reasons to justify it. The suggestion she’d made would ring in his head, but he would retain no memory of her rough treatment, or the implantation of such a threat.

His head came up slowly and he blinked several times as his eyes met hers. “Does killing always affect you in such a way? I had not known grown men could still faint from such a clean kill. Should I expect these troubles for you in the future?” Her laugh was emotionless and cold and she threw and wet rag across the table for him to wipe his face. She was not sure if she would ever bond again, but her time bonded to Corwin had taught her what came from treating Warders any better than dogs. She did not intend to make the same mistake twice.

His breath came raggedly and he had to blink several times to clear his vision.  Eqwina sat calmly back in her seat across the table from him.  He thought she had stood and walked to him though nothing in what he saw now suggested that had ever been the case.  "What?"  The question never left his lips though his confusion was obvious.

“Does killing always affect you in such a way? I had not known grown men could still faint from such a clean kill. Should I expect these troubles for you in the future?”  Eqwina's cold emotionless laughter assaulted him yet he did not hate her for it as expected.  For some reason he felt the need to protect her.  Why?  He hated her to his core yet he felt as if he needed her, alive.  What was she talking about, he did feel odd but had he really fainted?  He wanted to ask her though she did not seem as if she would tolerate questions at the moment.

"I assure you there will be no troubles mistress."  It was all so odd.  He vaguely remembered telling her of his feeling for her but surely she would have killed him on the spot.  Why did he suddenly feel the need to protect her, surely that was knew.  The one thing he knew was that his fate was tied to her.

• 1 year later...