DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Service Project Week 2 - How can I help a Homeless Shelter?

Mendorah

I think that when the majority of us hear the word "shelter," we all immediately think of either Animal or Homeless.  I think of the two, the Homeless shelters get the least love and attention.

This is another arena that I am not that familiar with, so I would be very grateful if anyone who is currently active in helping Homeless Shelters would add their expertise.

Homeless shelters need lots of things.  Not only do they need monetary donations, but they also need physical and time donations.  One of the biggest things needed I can think of as far as physical donations is blankets and coats and other clothing.  Many homeless shelters have rules about how many people can stay in the shelter at night.  Many also have costs associated with staying in the shelter overnight.  What this boils down to is that some homeless simply aren't able to stay In the shelters when they most need it - the winter.  Even though the shelter may not allow everyone to stay inside at night, I do believe that the shelters do give out necessities to those who need it anyways.  And if you aren't able to get a bed inside, then the most valuable item you can have is a coat and a blanket.  It seems like each year I hear of blanket and coat drives for the needy.  I think if everybody in America who had the means just gave one coat and blanket a year, then our needy would be a lot warmer.

Homeless shelters also need people to give their time for counseling, food kitchen service, and just like in women's shelters, if you have a skill you are willing to teach, they just may be very thankful for that was well.

I to am also not familiar with this area. I don't even know of any homeless shelters in our area. :(

THe only thing that is kinda of related that I have done is donating clothes to salvation army, and the coat drive my grandma use to do. SO any information others have would be useful :)

I know that the shelters here(We have three in a 50,000 pop city) have a pretty big capacity as far as beds.  They have a small staff and are most often looking for physical donations(Coats, blankets, food, etc) and monetary donations.  Service donations are usually filled by Community Service criminals.  :-\

Archived