DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cadsuane and Callandor/Choedan Kal

Mercer

Sort of a simple question, but I couldn't remember it or find it with a quick perusal of KoD.

After the cleansing of Saidin, Narishma (I believe) still has Callandor, but Cadsuane mentions taking the Choedan Kal and putting them in her saddlebags, as I recall.

Did Rand ever get those back? I can't imagine he didn't, but I also can't remember him ever thinking "out loud" about it, or mentioning either of them.

The ball of the female sa'angreal melted (inspiring the mass suicides on the Sea Folk isles), and the female access key was similarly disfigured.  Thus, the female Choedan Kal is no longer usable.  I also vaguely seem to recall that the male access key and the sword are under Cadsuane's control, but I would not swear to it.

Encyclopaedia-WOT lists no references on the location of either Callandor or the male Access Key after WH, beyond one in KOD saying Callandor is no longer in the Stone, but the Defenders still guard the Heart of the Stone.

According to the Encyclopaedia site, Cadsuane has Callandor (Winter's Heart Chapter 35).

From the paragraph::

Cadsuane let the thing that had been a ter'angreal drop to the ground. It could no longer be called a statue of a woman. The face was as wisely serene as ever, but the figure was broken in two and lumpy like bubbled wax where one side had melted, including the arm that had held the crystal sphere now lying in shattered fragments around the ruined thing. The male figure was whole, and already tucked away in her saddlebags. Callandor was secured, too. It was best not to leave temptation on the open hilltop.

Like Ares mentions, the only mention of Callandor afterward is in Knife of Dreams (Chapter 21). No later mention of the access keys, but there is a mention of the Choedan Kal in Knife of Dreams Chapter 22 (only mention after Winter's Heart).

I think both Mr Ares and mb are correct the last mention of the location of Callandor and the male access key was in Winters Heart where Cadsuane states that the access key is in her saddlebags and that Callandor has also been secured. The impression I get by the language quoted by mb is that Cadsuane has control of both. 

Cheers for the chapter ref's for KoD, I'll check those out.

It just seemed odd to me, that Rand wouldn't retrieve either, or that Rand would trust anyone (even Cadsuane, who it seems he must) with those two items. Not really an "issue" though, as they aren't really needed or part of KoD. Seems RJ just sort of shunted them aside for now.

Archived