DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Chance Meeting (ATTN: Davram)

Jagen Sedai

Celestine readjusted her pack on her shoulder as she side-stepped on the wide street to get out of a horse's way. It was crowded and she had to look around everywhere to make sure she wasn't going to trip over someone, or someone over her. She almost regretted her decision to not wear her shawl out today but her goal, for now, had been met. She had come to Caemlyn after visiting her hometown of Yvel to the east. A good size of the population there was deaf, like her, most of them being related in some way or another. She had stopped by to visit family, only to learn her parents had died. Having no brothers or sisters growing up, she did not have any nephews or nieces to visit either. Although that did make her somewhat sad, in another way it was good for her. She could concentrate on Aes Sedai business.

She walked quicker once a path opened in front of her and stepped into an herb shop. She only half glanced at the hanging yellow flowers in the window, a sign any in the Yellow Ajah would recognize. This was her third day coming to help out. If a person was too sick to be healed by herbs, then Celestine would go to them to offer Healing. She would also offer to pay for herbs for those who could not afford their own and needed them. In turn the owner of the herb shop helped Celestine get a nice room at a nearby inn free of any charge.

Celestine had just come back from healing a young boy on the outskirts of the city and was ready to call it a day. Curling up with a good book sounded like a wonderful way to spend the rest of her evening.

“How did it go, Celestine Sedai?” the woman asked after Celestine faced her.

“Very well,” she replied with a smile. “The boy is resting. I left them the aloe and mugwort you gave me. If you do not need anything else today I will be heading off.”

“Oh of course, Celestine Sedai. Thank you so much.”

Celestine smiled and left again after grabbing her cloak. Her dress and cloak were both silk, the dark cloak lined nicely in white fur and the yellow silk of her dress was lined with white. At least her appearance let her get through easily in some places, as she gave off at least a high noble's air; she even wore some make-up to bring out her eyes and her hair was held back in a loose ponytail with silk ribbons. If the inn wasn't close she would have hired a carriage to be more proper, but this did for now.

Normally Celestine would make her way straight for the inn or perhaps stop by the man who sold fruit nearby, but the sight of a man caught her attention so suddenly she knew she wouldn't just head in for the night. He wore a long black coat and moved like a Warder. She only saw him for a few moments before he disappeared into a noisy tavern and she immediately side-stepped on her path to follow. He was an Asha'man! At least she was sure. There was something about him that had really caught her attention.

She stopped at the tavern to look over the place from the outside. Since this was a nice part of town, maybe it wouldn't seem too odd for a lady of her appearance to be in there. She followed in and took in the scene with a quick sweep of her gaze. She spotted the man in the black coat and walked over to sit at the table beside his. She ordered a light drink and let her gaze keep wandering over him. She saw the pins first. I'm sitting by a man who can channel, she thought. A real Asha'man. But it wasn't too much of a coincidence. Half the reason she chose Andor was for the chance to see these men. They were intriguing, in the least.

After a bit of time she stood and walked over to his table. She didn't look her age of thirty seven but neither did she have that ageless face, either. She just looked young. “Excuse me, may I join you?” she asked, holding her drink. Her words were probably a bit off of the Andorian accent simply because it was the way she talked all her life. After all one couldn't really pick up an accent without being able to hear, but her lip-reading skills were better than ever. That in turn helped her own speech, so at least now she could be easily understood and didn't have the problems she experienced when first coming to the Tower.

Even though it was quite a busy day, even busier in the central parts of Camelyn, Davram did not have any troubles with the crowd. Nor did he suffer from lack of space - there was enough space around him to swing his halebard had he brought it. The only weapon he carried was the sword on his belt, though it was not the weapon that parted the crowds in his way. It was instead his clothing choice. A long black coat, with two pins at the collar. A sword made of silver, and a serpent like creature with arms and legs. What it ment all ment, that Davram Targaryen was an Asha'man, and that was what gave him the space. While that was to his advantage, Davram sometimes wondered how long will it take for men like him to be accepted. Old habbits died hard, old fears even harder. For thousands of years humanity lived in fear of men like him, men who can channel. And while the Asha'man had never done anything to hurt the residents of Camelyn, or any other Andorian, they were still not liked, not to say hated. Well, as the saying goes - let them hate me, as long as they fear me. With this being a particulary hot day, Davram decided to cool off with a nice cold mug of ale. And so he entered the first tavern he saw, walked to a table and sat down. He ordered his mug and soon he was enjoying his drink. And then something unexpected happened.

“Excuse me, may I join you?”

It was highly unusual for someone to want to share a table with an Asha'man, even more unusual when that someone was a woman. She did seem like a noble, though the clothes did not made the man, at least not where he came from.

"The place is free, feel free to take it if you so insist"

The woman sat in the chair beside him and seemed to study him closely, even leaning forward a bit in her chair. "I could not help but notice your pins. And your coat."

"They always get people's attention. So you know what I am"  - the Black Tower made men into weapons, so Davram was used to reffering to himself as an object. - "However, they usually have the opposite effect on people. Especially on women"

"I am a very curious woman," she replied. "I don't turn away from something just because I do not understand it. And perhaps," she added curiously, "if it is generally misunderstood by the public." She kept looking at his mouth for some reason and kept her attention mostly on him, not looking around much like most people did. If she did avert her gaze, it was quick and simple then back on him.

Something about this was suspicious. First of all, this woman either was not afraid or hid it very well. Second, she kept her attention concentrated on him. Davram made had no illusions about his appearance. There was very little in him that could catch the interest of a woman, especially of a beautiful woman who appeared ten or more years younger than him. Something was a miss here.

"Curiousity can lead into trouble, my Lady" - southeners were touchy if you missed a title - "They say it killed the cat. Well I do not know about cats, but I have seen a lot of people being led to their deaths by their curiousity. I hope you're more careful than they were"

The woman smiled. "My name is Celestine, and I do not think I have a reason to fear my own curiousity. Or do I? Are you saying I should fear you?" She actually seemed amused by that of all things. And then her expression became a bit more serious, yet gentle. "I hope you do not mind, but I would like to study you, if I may."

Study? There were only one kind of women that wanted to study an Asha'man - Aes Sedai. And this one had gotten off the wrong foot. Davram finished his mug and stood up.

"Somethings never change, do they, Aes Sedai? When ambushing an enemy it is always a good idea to hide the banners and uniforms, however it is also wise to hide the glint of the weapons or they'll give you away to the ones you want to ambush."

Davram reached into his coin purse, and left a few coins on the table to pay for his drink. Then he walked away.

"Hey wait a minute!" Now when he turned to leave she couldn't tell if he was still talking, so she quickly ran in front of him, hoping she wasn't talking too loud herself to avoid drawing too much attention. However his mere presence drew attention. "Please, I'm just a researcher. I want to understand what it must be like to be an Asha'man. Please help me."

Now that she moved in front of him Davram noted another thing about his would be researcher - she was quite smaller in stature than he was. She was brave though - running in front of him like that. Davram took a moment to look around for other Aes Sedai, or at the least the woman's warder. However, there did not seem to be any warders or other Aes Sedai around. He turned his attention back to the woman in front of him. At least she asked politely this time.

"To help you?" - well it would not hurt to try. - "Follow me, Aes Sedai"

Davram lead Celestine outside of the city of Camelyn. Once he was sure that they were in a secluded enough of a place he turned to face her.

"You want to understand what is it to be an Asha'man? Well an Asha'man is this" - Davram tapped on his sword. - "Asha'man kill, Asha'man die. We are weapons."

Celestine had followed along quietly as the yet-nameless Asha'man lead her out of the city. She regretted giving herself away so easily, or rather wondering how she did. She knew he named her Aes Sedai--how did he know? Were there things the Aes Sedai did not yet understand about the Asha'man and their abilities? Were they underestimating these men? That is why I am here, though. To find the answers to these questions.

She was wondering about this particular Asha'man himself though. Trying to temporarily dismiss the fact he could channel, she was trying to assess his personality as a man. An older Saldaean, he was certainly battle-hardened. His stance and whole way of moving reminded her of a Warder's. A warrior to the bone to be sure, especially with his last words--very curious words--but what she needed to study was his personality beyond that. So far so good though, even naming her Aes Sedai. She decided it would be best to stick by him and she found a good Asha'man with which to start her questioning.

Now that they were alone she knew she was more vulnerable here. Taking that into account she decided to be a bit less forward in her behavior than a normal Aes Sedai would be. She worked hard--perhaps harder--than most girls to get the shawl, but she still knew how to act, well, flattering lady-like.

"I am sorry if I was a bit abrupt before," she stated. "Though please do

continue to be abrupt yourself. I didn't mean to offend. My parents always told me I should be careful in how I communicate. I mean, what I say." She gave a nervous laugh, folding her hands at her waist though one kneaded her skirt. "Perhaps I should be a bit more specific. I am aware of how the organization of the Black Tower and Asha'man are perceived." She paused for a moment and took a deep breath. "Especially by the White Tower." Might as well get that out of the way since he named her. "I am here, however, to develop my own opinion, and spread what I may learn by interviewing various men here. Right now, you aren't considered human by many on the outside. I want to see if I can change that."

She looked into his eyes as she talked but again her gaze seemed to concentrate more on his lips. If he made any movements she became wary, her gaze darting up to his, and she still had that forward-leaning stance, as if she could observe something better if she studied him more closely than just standing normally. She was a very curious person indeed.