DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Greetings from a new member and forever reader

peregrine al thor

Greetings all! I have visited Dragonmount many times but never really felt the urge to join 'til recently. I discovered The Wheel Of Time when Eye Of The World came out in paperback. I was looking for something new and was drawn to the cover. I have been a fantasy genre reader since the age of 13(I'm now ...gulp... 40) and until Jordan, Tolkien was the king. To me, Jordan has surpassed him, but that's just my opinion. Since book 1 I have waited for the next year after year. After 5 or 6, I started going back through all the books to keep it all fresh. Around book 8 I introduced my sister-in-law to Jordan and re-read with her. We stopped after Winter's Heart when it became clear that it would take more than one more book to end the series. I have never once felt angry about the length of time or the amount of books this has taken. Frustated, maybe. I am still terribly saddened that Mr. Jordan was not able to finish his incredible work himself. I have read Sanderson's Elantris as well as the first 2 books of Mistborn and I am quite impressed with him. The Mistborn series is the most interesting thing I've read besides Jordan and George R.R. Martin in a long, long time. (Of course Martin can't finish his series either). When A Memory Of Light is finished, I'll have the last 3 books to read for the first time. I can't wait! Sorry if I've rambled, but I always like to know where someone else is coming from when discussing or reviewing fantasy books or authors. Thanks!

I don't think that we'll ever find something of his caliber again but who knows. People probably thought the same of many authors. Until something does come along though, I guess that we will just have to content ourselves with rereading the books. Unless maybe all the role players and writing types here get together on some project with Harriet and maybe Sanderson to write some fanfiction for the WoT series. But who knows I'm probably just doing some wishful thinking.

I think that A Song of Ice and Fire is brilliant, and you'll find a lot of people here love it as much or more than WoT.  :)  Of course, at this rate, Mr. Martin'll keel over too before finishing the blasted things!

*grumbles*

Anyways, welcome to DM m'dear - always glad to see another avid reader around!

I love A Song of Ice and Fire! However, that series and WoT has taught me that I hate waiting for the next book, so when finding new things to read nowadays I look for finished series.  ;)

Anyway, welcome to DM! Oh and by the way, you might want to watch out for spoilers on the book discussion boards. 

Welcome to DM!

Well, I am going aganist the flow and say I don't like Martin that much. Nor Tolkien. RJ was the man that got me into Fantasy, but I feel there are better writers for your money out there - Kristen Britain, Steven Erikson to name but two. Also, I like Goodkind, so I'm waiting to get lynched!  :P

Good to see you here, and don't hesitate to ask any questions about the site!

But whatever you do at DM, have fun! :)

Archived