DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mirrors of the Wheel MUD

Zaren

Hey guys,

Long time lurk, first time poster. Thought I would let people know since this is up their alley and mine as well. I need to be more active and I will be.

Since this community loves Robert Jordan, the Wheel of Time and the world that has been created. I wanted to let you know about Mirrors of the Wheel MUD. This is a mud (multi user dungeon) that I stumbled across that just totally captured the Wheel of Time atmosphere that Jordan described in the books. When I am there, I feel like I am part of the land that Rand, Mat and Perrin are part of.

And I also wanted to let you know because there are a lot of people in this community that enjoy roleplaying in the world that RJ created for us. Mirrors of the Wheel mud is dedicated to this roleplay and encourages it players to help develop this atmosphere. There are a lot of great players who enjoy roleplaying everything from a White Tower novice to a Child of the Light to a Defender of the Stone to an Aiel Stone Dog to an Armorer. And it just rocks. To be honest, it is set up so that anyone can easily become a huge influence in the atmosphere, not just the people who are there currently.

Now it is a game of sorts as well for people seeking that angle. But rewards and advancement come from all areas, hunting, roleplaying, questing. And there are over 50 clans to join, all nations for character backgrounds and a great channeling system. They also have a unique combat system and blademaster system and also the Game of Houses.

I just find this place great fun. And wanted to invite you to share that fun. Here is the info...

www.mirrorsmud.net

telnet www.mirrorsmud.net port 2222

The people are great there and welcome newcomers with open arms and help. Come by, try it out. Ask questions and don't just leave once you arrive.

So the place really combines an area for all people...the roleplayer, the questor, the adventurer, the explorer, the hunter, the player killer (within the roleplay of the character), the hack n slasher. All are welcome and can easily find their place.

Zaren

PS I recommend starting with the race wetlander for a new character. It is just a bit easier to learn and get help with when starting out.

To start a new character, here are some basic steps...

1) Log into the mud. You can do this through telnet, a mud client like zmud (zuggsoft.com) or use the applet link on the Mirrors homepage.

2) Create a free account. You will be prompted through this.

3) Once your account is created, you will be given a list of things to do. One of those things is create a character. Choose the appropriate command and be guided through character generation.

4) Once your character is created, you simply have to choose the play command and enter the weave.

All new characters will start in a training area where you can learn a bit about the game and its mechanics. I highly recommend you do the quests there and hunt for a bit to level up your character. Players there are cool, if you need help just ask.

And something I did not mention earlier is...it is absolutely free and open 24/7. It is live also, so you are interacting with people from around the world.

And if anyone has questions, do post, maybe I can help by answering posts.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Zaren,

I have experience in forum-based roleplay, like Dragonmount's own, but I've never tried a MU* of any description. I've heard that the focus is often more on combat and dice rolls than on the more social aspects, such as character development, intrigue and drama. Can you tell me a bit about roleplaying in a MU*? Is this more like a giant videogame than an interactive story? If prospective players could see examples of roleplay, that would be very helpful for me at least.

Cheers!

Sirayn

• 4 months later...
question....

is there anyway to start without having the Java Browser thingymajiger?

Sorry to wait so long to answer. But to answer your question, no you do not need to connect with the Java browser applet. From any telnet application you can connect to www.mirrorsmud.net port 2222.

Most users who are past the telnet stage choose to use an application like Zmud (www.zuggsoft.com) which is designed to help basic commands and movement in a mud environment.

Hope that helps.

Hi Zaren' date='

I have experience in forum-based roleplay, like Dragonmount's own, but I've never tried a MU* of any description. I've heard that the focus is often more on combat and dice rolls than on the more social aspects, such as character development, intrigue and drama. Can you tell me a bit about roleplaying in a MU*? Is this more like a giant videogame than an interactive story? If prospective players could see examples of roleplay, that would be very helpful for me at least.

Cheers!

Sirayn[/quote']

Hi Sirayn,

When it comes to a mud and its focus it reall just depends on how the mud is designed and what its creators have in mind as far as mission. I recently mentioned www.wotmud.org in another post on here, they are a balanced MUD in that they have possibilities for all types of players ie the socializer, the explorer, the roleplayer or the combatant. Mirrors of the Wheel is more focused on roleplay than anything of the others.

As far as how roleplay is handled, I would say it is much more than just a video game. There are other factors like trying to improve your character, but at the heart of it roleplay is simply the minds of the people involved. Roleplay starts with how you envision your character and its background. That is what is the underlying motives on how the character acts. Then your roleplay evolves as you meet people, join organizations (like the White Tower or the Queen's Guard of Andor), and through your actions. How you act and what you act upon has real consequences which leads to your story unfolding. You have an active role in the storymaking as well. The story between two characters, your desire to lead an organization, how organizations act with one another.

Roleplay on a MUD is exactly what you make it. It is very similar to forum based roleplay except that it is live. You interact with all sorts of people. And the best part, if you have an internet connection, it is free. The only charge is using your imagination.

Hope that helps, if I can clear up anything else, just let me know.

I really enjoyed playing on the WoTMud, I just got caught up on the Game of Stones site and haven't really played at WotMud. Once school's off for Christmas break, I'm sure I'll be playing all these games...WoTMud, this one, and Game of Stones (I'm majorly looking forward to the Version 2.0 upgrade, holla!) Unless, of course, I receive the PlayStation 3 that I'm so eagerly anticipating. Then I'll be playing PS3. Muahahaha.

If prospective players could see examples of roleplay' date=' that would be very helpful for me at least.[/quote']

Sorry, meant to answer this in my last post, but if you follow the link posted here in a sec, that will lead you into some examples of roleplay in a mud environment. Some in there is written roleplay, but many like the Questioning of Ewinne is basically how the interaction on the mud goes. Its not forum based, but real time with other people.

http://www.wotmud.org/forums/viewforum.php?type=0&forum=32&5694

• 1 year later...

Wow, I wonder if I have run into you before Zaren. We seem to be of like mind on muds. But I will say there are a lot of good examples on that link you posted of how things work in a mud and they type of interaction you have with people in that raltime enviroment.

Aside from the realtime RP that goes on, I just like that it is actually a free multiplayer online roleplaying game that anyone can join. I myself am heavily involved in RP in both muds (WoTmud and Mirrors). While Mirrors has more of an emphasis on RP, WoTmud easily has more players and more RP opportunities although there is combat and adventuring going on at the same time.

To the person who asked how to play it without using the java interface, just do this...

* Click Start

* Click Run

* type in...telnet www.wotmud.org 2222

(or the address for Mirrors if that is what you want to play)

* Click OK

Provided your cpu has a default telnet application that should connect you right away. Now telnet is very barebones usually without color. Other applications (like ZMUD) allows for a much easier time for the user because of things like color, input bars, scrolling windows and histories.

OK, I have rambled enough on an old thread, just post if anyone has any other questions.

Archived