DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Kelleen's Arrival (Attn: MoN, Perine, Jaydena)

KellySedai

Jaydena took a seat in one of the chairs in her quarters and Kelleen sat on one of the lush green floral carpets on the hardwood floor. Jade opened her mouth to motion the child to a chair but closed it again. Kelleen would learn soon enough that things had changed. She heard a knock at the door and motioned for Kelleen to answer it. The girl quickly poured tea and Jade noticed the shaking wrist. She considered her mintee for a moment before speaking, "You're going to have to have more trust in me Kelleen. I am your Mentor now. I'm here to help you become an Aes Sedai, and to do that you have to be comfortable with your past as well as your future." Kelleen handed her the tea and then sat down with her own before speaking. "I have had a very troubled life up until now Jade Sedai. My father was a fur trader in Arafel, and we had a pretty prosperous estate because of him. I lost my mother when I was eleven...it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with. My father died shortly after, he just couldn't live without her. I lost 6 of my brothers early on when I was young, so I was raised primarily by my youngest brother Jurin. He did the best he could with the situation we were left with. Most of the town's people believed our family was cursed because of all the deaths. They left us alone for the most part. I spent most of my time reading and watching the local guards and soldiers doing sword forms. Jurin didn't know it, but I was practicing those forms in secret. The guards thought it was ridiculous, but they left me alone and let me try. I suppose they thought it was funny that a girl would try to fight with a sword. You see, most of my brothers were killed by Trollocs and other shadowspawn... I was determined to never let that happen to me." Jaydena looked at the girl and wondered how a girl so young had lost so much already. "Jurin died about 8 months ago... killed by Trollocs in a raid on our town. I was left completely alone, and soon I lost our home, our belongings, everything....I'd read about Aes Sedai in several books, and there were local women who talked about the wonders of Tar Valon. I decided that since I had no where else to go, I might as well come here. If I was ever to have real power, the power to destroy the shadowspawn who destroyed my family, I'd have to learn from Aes Sedai."

Jaydena watched the tears streaming down the girls face and didn't say anything. She had lost her mother and the watched her family die one by one of these last 200 years, so she knew what it was to lose. She let the girl cry for she needed it and when Kelleen looked up at her she placed the serene mask on her face. The girl couldn't afford to be cosetted or she would never make it to the Green Ajah and it sounded like she was headed that way.

"I won't stop training until I have that power Jade Sedai. I don't care how long it takes... I MUST avenge my family." Jaydena watched as the girl pulled medallions with her people's faces carved in the metal out of a pouch and laid them on the floor. "My family meant more to me then my own life. Now this is all I have left of them...my memory of their faces, and the memory of their love." Jade nodded and spoke, "You have lost so much my child but you have to harden your heart, over the years you will lose more. I have watched my best friends turned from the Tower because they couldn't pass the tests, I have watched my gaidin cut down and killed, my sister killed in battle. My entire family has died because I am older than you can imagine. I know it's hard and it might seem that I am cruel but you will need to hide this hurt and never let it show, you must hide it for there are others that would use it against you."

She sipped her tea and then stood, walking to her room she stepped inside. Once inside she made a beeline for her wardrobe, she reached inside and organized something before walking out of the room with it. She handed the package to her mintee and said, "My mentor Kaylan Sedai gave me one of these many years ago and I added some things to it. Sometimes it helps to ease the pain of so much if you remember how much you are gaining and what you will accomplish." She watched as Kelleen opened it and revealed a wooden box made out of maple with a tear shape in the center, which was the sign of a AS, she motioned the girl to open the box, upon opening the box, you could see, several drawers and two lids that flipped up in the middle. Kelleen opened the first drawer and inside we're seven glass bottles in different colors. Inside the colored bottles we're seven different colors of paint, Brown, Green, Red, Yellow, Gray, Blue, and White. At the end of the row was a clear bottle full of a solution. Jade saw the confusion on her face and waved for her to continue opening the drawers. She wouldn't understand until she opened all the drawers. The next drawer contained a small jar which had a tray on the inside made out of wood and a small brush inside the jar with fluid. Several small squares of fabric were also in this drawer and a brush that matched the one in the liquid but was larger. She closed the drawer and then went on to the third, in it was a velvet pouch, which contained three charms done in silver, one was a tear drop like on the box, the second was a serpent eating it's own tail, and the last one was a intial, the intail A. Jade kept one of each letter so that she always had the right letter for who ever she was giving a gift to. Jade was known to give gifts on a regular basis, she had lots of money from the family business and enjoyed spending it on others.

She watched as the girl closed the door and looked up at her. Jade smiled and said, "Open the doors my child." Inside the doors were two more velvet pouchs. Jade watched as the girl took the first one and opening it, pulling out a pendant. It was shaped like the upside down teadrop and had a outline as though something was supposed to go on the inside of the ridge. The second pouch contained a long chain also in the sterling silver of the pendant. Jade smiled at the startled look on her face and then said, "I give this same thing to all my mintees. Hand me the box my child and I will explain it to you." Taking the box in her hand she closed it and said, "Ok this box has been stained or veneered all over except for the AS sign as you can see. If you look at you necklace and the charm that match you will notice that they are the same design. The necklace is what Kaylan gave me so long." Jade reached into her neckline and pulled a necklace just like hers but with much wear, only Jade's was painted green. Jade watched the comprehension dawning on her face and continued, "The paints in the first drawer are what you can use the paint the box, the pendant, and the charm when you decide what Ajah you have chosen. The paint should stay good for at least 15 years so don't worry about it drying out. Keep it sealed and it won't dry out. The clear bottle contains a varnish to put over the paint, so it will shine. The second drawer contains, jewelry cleaner, you can use it for these and then when you get your ring you can also clean that. The cloths and brushes are for cleaning also. You of course can't wear the charms unless your in your room, and the necklace will have to stay under you dress out of sight till you are raised." She watched the tear streaked face and waited to see what Kelleen thought...

Jaydena Sedai

Kelleen didn't know what to say... she hadn't been given a gift in years. It was almost more then she could believe at that moment. In a rush of emotion, she leapt forward and embraced Jaydena, even knowing that she might be punished for it. "You could never know what this means to me." Kelleen said, and then stepped back away from her. She wiped the tears off her face then and reached over to pick up the box again. She clutched it to her chest as if it were a baby.

Kelleen could only hope that Jaydena would understand and not punish her, but even if she did, it was worth it. She hadn't had a true friend in so long that it was worth any amount of punishment to express her appreciation. She knew that as soon as she was back in her room she was going to paint them all green. If she had had any doubts about what Ajah she should be, that gift had just abolished them.

• 2 weeks later...

ooc- Missed this! :lol:

IC-

Jaydena waited silently for the girls answer, over the years she had seen a number of reactions and she wasn't sure how this one would deal with it. The girls eyes filled up with more tears, if that was even possible and then she ran forward and Jaydena was quite shocked to have the girl throw her arms around her. It had been some time since someone had touched her in affection and she was more than a little taken back. She smiled quickly and patted the girls back for a moment. Kelleen leaned back and spoke, "You could never know what this means to me." Jade nodded, she think she had some idea what it meant to her. This girl had lost everything she ever cared about and now someone was showing her affection. Her mintee silently wiped the tears from her raveged face and picked the box up off the ground, clutching it to her chest like she would never let it go.

Jaydena smiled and spoke, "My child, if at any time you need to talk to me or a shoulder to cry on I am here for you. That is part of my job as your mentor and I would like to be your friend." She knew what it felt like to have nothing left to love except for duty and honor and what was right, and she felt a kinship with this new novice. Continuing she said, "Would you like to have some tea with me, you can put the box down, I swear I won't take it back." She chuckled and with a glint in her eye, began to add honey and sugar to her tea. "How do you take yours my child?" She added the things Kelleen wanted to her tea and then spoke, "Do you have any questions or concerns before you head off to your first day as Novice?"

Jaydena Sedai

Kelleen was absolutely shocked that Jaydena had not gotten upset at her for the outburst, but was very pleased all the same. It was nice to have someone show her some affection after all this time even if it did seem a bit forced. Jaydena probably was as unaccustomed to it as she was at this point.

"Would you like to have some tea with me, you can put the box down, I swear I won't take it back." She chuckled and with a glint in her eye, began to add honey and sugar to her tea. "How do you take yours my child?"

"I like honey in mine Jaydena Sedai, thank you very much" She set the box down next to her and took a seat on the chair next to Jaydena after her mentor waves her assent. It was a nice feeling, almost as if they were equals for a moment. Kelleen sipped her tea and it was very good, very sweet the way she liked it. Her mother had always laughed at her sweet tooth and that's probably why she had kept one all these years.

"Do you have any questions or concerns before you head off to your first day as Novice?" Jaydena said.

Kelleen thought for a moment, sipping her tea and said, "Actually yes, Jaydena Sedai, I was wondering what I need to do to make friends here. I know I haven't been here long, but I can't seem to find any girls that want to talk to me. I'm not that out-going I suppose and they seem to take that to mean that I don't want to talk. I'm not interested in any close relationships you understand, but it is nice to have someone to talk to on occasion... Besides you of course, Aes Sedai." "I was also curious about the One Power...very curious in fact. I've heard about it for many years and I hope that its as wonderous as I've heard the girls whisper...they say that its the most incredible feeling in the world." She waited in anticipation for Jaydena's answer and hoped that it really was all she had dreamed. Just to imagine a feeling that was stronger then even her longing for love as she had heard, seemed quite unbelievable.

Jaydena waited a moment and sipped her tea as Kelleen spoke, "Actually yes, Jaydena Sedai, I was wondering what I need to do to make friends here. I know I haven't been here long, but I can't seem to find any girls that want to talk to me. I'm not that out-going I suppose and they seem to take that to mean that I don't want to talk. I'm not interested in any close relationships you understand, but it is nice to have someone to talk to on occasion... Besides you of course, Aes Sedai." Jaydena nodded for she understood the girls concern and was about to speak with her mintee continued, "I was also curious about the One Power...very curious in fact. I've heard about it for many years and I hope that its as wonderous as I've heard the girls whisper...they say that its the most incredible feeling in the world."

Jaydena smiled and said, "Well I will answer the first question to start, honestly just being yourself will earn you friends. Remember that many of the girls here have gone through hardships just like you have and they have left everything they hold familiar behind to come here. They are just as upset and confused as you are. Many of them fear to become friends with anyone as very few actually make it to Accepted and it hurts to have your friend have to leave for not passing the Accepted test. Just open up and I am sure you will make friends my child. As for the second question, to channel the power is the most incredible thing in the world, imagine everything tastes sweeter, smells sharper, your eyesight is better, and life is just better. It's a heady feeling but not one to be taken lightly, the power we hold is something precious and needs to be guarded closely. You will learn how to use it and you will hone it. It will be wonderful once you embrace it fully but what is more wonderful is saving lives using that power..."

Jaydena Sedai

Head Green

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...