DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So......the Legend of the Seeker premieres this weekend......will you watch it?

Hero of Satsuma

spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the first two episodes were fine for what they were. They're not likely to have a huge budget or anything, and I thought the talent wasn't too bad either. Great to see Haldir from LOTR getting some more fantasy-related work, and Zed made a pretty good wizard all things considered.

I'd also put the idea out there for everyone to (at least) try and throw their support behind it if they ever want to see WoT on screens (large or small).

Except that some of us would rather not see WoT on any screen...

Well, keep it up then; you'll be picking many a bean. :P

I'm hoping that Legend of the Seeker will pave the way for more fantasy adaptations. The ones that follow can learn from the successes and mistakes of the previous one, making them better and better.

In the same way that some people don't know the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek, it's probably the case that there are executives out there who can't tell the difference between Legend and Lord of the Rings, WoT, etc. What I don't want to see is a stigma being put on the genre as something that won't sell, which may result in us not see another fantasy movie/series for a while.

I have to confess I'm sort of enjoying the next episode, apart from the continued TOTAL STUPIDITY of the fight scenes. Let's review!

Heavily armed and armoured adult man wearing a mail coif for the sole purpose of protecting his head and neck against slashing weapons vs (unarmoured) girl holding knife to his (armoured) throat. Does the man:

(1) Panic like a little girl because the knife might somehow magically cut through his chain mail?

(2) While respectful of the fact that the girl has a knife near his face, remove and overpower her using his superior upper body strength?

Sweet, delicious realism. Where have you gone? How can we tempt you back?

edit: Why is this program undermining my disdain for all things Goodkind by introducing moral ambiguity and interesting scenarios? It's as if they want people to like this show (although not for its fight scenes).

I have to confess I'm sort of enjoying the next episode, apart from the continued TOTAL STUPIDITY of the fight scenes. Let's review!

Heavily armed and armoured adult man wearing a mail coif for the sole purpose of protecting his head and neck against slashing weapons vs (unarmoured) girl holding knife to his (armoured) throat. Does the man:

(1) Panic like a little girl because the knife might somehow magically cut through his chain mail?

(2) While respectful of the fact that the girl has a knife near his face, remove and overpower her using his superior upper body strength?

Sweet, delicious realism. Where have you gone? How can we tempt you back?

edit: Why is this program undermining my disdain for all things Goodkind by introducing moral ambiguity and interesting scenarios? It's as if they want people to like this show (although not for its fight scenes).

Its funny, you know what did that for me?  Robert Newcomb.  It was like a bolt of lightning to the brain: "Terry Goodkind is not actually the worst writer in the history of writing"

Its a weird feeling, I know.

Newcomb's work is a horrifying travesty. He's up there with Goodkind on the list of authors who have no redeeming features at all. I can't understand why Newcomb is such a big shot - the hotshot agent, the major publisher, two three-book deals, the works. Why is it that Newcomb gets contracted for a second trilogy after the atrocious Chronicles of Blood and Stone, but the fantastic Paul Kearney is kicked to the kerb mid-series by Bantam? There's no justice. :(

Newcomb's work is a horrifying travesty. He's up there with Goodkind on the list of authors who have no redeeming features at all. I can't understand why Newcomb is such a big shot - the hotshot agent, the major publisher, two three-book deals, the works. Why is it that Newcomb gets contracted for a second trilogy after the atrocious Chronicles of Blood and Stone, but the fantastic Paul Kearney is kicked to the kerb mid-series by Bantam? There's no justice. :(

1) Because he sells

2) Because he was contracted for trilogy two after Fifth Sorceress, which actually did have some redeeming value to it.

But I'll repeat what I wrote about Newcomb on Amazon after I was forced to read Savage Messaiah for PW: I almost want to keep copies of his books around to punish my kids with.  "What did I tell you about smoking?  Get to your room and read 3 chapters of Savage Messaiah.  Go!"

• 1 month later...

Get your TiVos ready, the next all new episode is going to feature Denna.  The Mord Sith who's ghost kicks Richard's @$$ every time he starts to whine and moan about how crappy his life is.

(Maybe they should find a Mord Sith ghost for Rand al'Thor)

WHOA! I am on book one for this and the names just popped right out at me. Not watching it for fear of spoilers. Definitely will in the future though.

And I always knew Kahlan was supposed to be hot, but boom shacka lacka, she looks good in the show.

Take a teen drama from the CW, add some Xena Warrior Princess / Hercules, and finally mix in a medicore non-epic fantasy novel.  And poof  "Legend of the Seeker" is born.

This is why i am very sceptical at seeing Robert Jordan's work going to TV or the Big Screen.

~Stoneweave

In order to have a signature, one must first have a name.

• 1 month later...

I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago. Between the string of recaps masquerading as a new episode, and the series villain masquerading as a girl and making smoochies and love talk with the hero, I damn nearly threw my laptop against the wall. It was an awful, cringe-inducing trainwreck.

They have had to water down some of the stuff to make it more palatable to a wider audience and Disney.

Like:

Darken Rahl isn't killing people to read entrails.

Demmin Nass doesn't molest little boys.

Darken Rahl has yet to brainwash and kill a boy.

Richard hasn't kicked Pricess Violet in the jaw causing her to bite off her tounge.

Mord-Sith don't have to watch their mothers tortured to death as part of their training.

Kalhan hasn't wanted to commit suicide so she won't betray Richard, and he hasn't had to tie her up so he could sleep.

The confesser's were unable to "dispose" an infant boy confessor.

Micheal Cypher wasn't a traitor and Richard didn't order Chase to execute him.

Richard hasn't killed anybody in cold blood.

Kalhan hasn't killed anybody in cold blood.

People are happy when the confessors show up.

Violet didn't beat Rachel for fun.

Richard has killed anybody, and liked it.

And Richards Mord-Sith training didn't seem to be as brutal, but still good.

Still, there jave been some good episodes, I really liked the one where Zedd was a puppeteer for Princess Rachel's birthday.  Hard to not like Zedd.

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched all the episodes thus far on Hulu..

I am a fan of the books but finding it increasingly frustrating that they completely butcher the story. However, they are enjoyable and I am taking them at face value. Let's hope that the second season is better, and more true to the actual story. I think Kahlan has confessed someone every episode... which is getting old.. but the blood rage was delightful to watch.

Hopefully this show will be a warning to those in control of the rights to WOT.  This show has been so hacked up from the story line it is unbearable.  Already found Pillars of Creation. Give me a break!  Wont be long and Zed will be casting a chainfire spell on Richard and Darken Rahl will reveal the real secret of “The Book of Counted Shadow”.  Of course all that won’t happen until Jagang conquers the whole world.

I happened to like the books, although the end was a little . . . unexpected. For those who didn’t care for the books but find the show to be ok ask yourself one question.  How would you feel if they hacked up the WOT like they did with this show.  Would you be ok with only Elayne falling in love with Rand, while Aviendha and Min are never mentioned or Rand blowing the Horn of Valere instead of Matt

Archived