DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Anyone miss Rand/Egwene?

RAND AL THOR

Erm, yeah, the canoodling that happened after she declared with no prior warning that she was in love with him.
Well, it's not entirely without warning. She moons over both of Elayne's brothers for some time, but it really flips her trigger (so to speak) when she spies Gawyn's dream of him rescuing her from Rand (LOC, "Dreams and Nightmares"). All of her little romantic notions go PING! and she falls head over heels... next thing we see of them, they're kissing in the waking world.

The beginning of the relationship between Gawyn and Egwene is ridiculous. She 'spies' on his dreams, and realizes she is in love with him after she finds out that he is in love with her. The absolute lack of romantic build up is astonishing.

Agreed, my Lord Dragon.  She showed just a slight bit of interest before (and even that was not too clear), then all of a sudden, she's head-over-heels (but only in her/his dreams, as far as I can tell).  On top of that, we don't really see them even in touch with one another, so the way that the romance has developed doesn't make too much sense.

As for Rand and Egwene breaking up, I was fairly certain from the beginning that nothing could ever come from that.  (I finished my first read-through of the series a few weeks ago.)  Egwene and Rand are both too different; they both seem to possess that indomitable Two Rivers spirit, but Rand has been forced to take on a cold, hard edge in order to survive.  Egwene on the other hand has become strong (like Rand), but she hasn't become quite as unfeeling.  (Not that Rand is completely unfeeling, but he's had to put on that shell.)

I completely agree with ReyRey here, I have always been surprised about how they keep loving eachother so badly (mostly as mentioned Elayne/Rand and Egwene/Gawyn) cause sure, Rand/Min and Rand/Aviendha I can understand, cause htye've actually been with eachother in RL, not just in dreams and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

do not tell me u were suprised at the egwene rand break up or her getting with gawyn it was quite obvious

i saw the breakup happpening from the moment moraine tried to teach her to channel in that little hut north of tarren ferry rands reaction to that wobbled the foundation, and u can tell the moment that they say theres gonna be a dragon reborn rand is the one, def not gonnna be a trickster or a blacksmith, young hero with mighty sword and annoyingly stubborn attitude said it alll right there

and the hints that gawyn liked egwene from the offhanded comment when they first met to elayn right out tellling her said to me she would end up with him galad is just not her type, and the utterly beautiful ppl r always evil stupid or set on a path to trample anyone in their way as in galads case

tho i agree the actually omg im in love with gawyn thing was odd i have seeen it many times, r u gonnna telll me everytime u fell in love with someone it came from numerous encounters of hey whats up to u wanna go see a movie, it was god honest love at first sight for gawyn and in every story it usualy turns out good for love struck ppl

Archived