DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moridin's Ignorance......

Ashaman Kovan

Thats the best I could come up with.  :D

So i'm on another repeat of the books and i'm on aPoD and i'm on the chapter "Unweaving" and right after Aviendah picks apart the weave for the gateway when they leave the Tarasin Palace and Moridin sees it he thinks to himself "He had known of that for a long, long time, but whenever he thought he had the measure of them, these primitives revealed some new skill,

did something that no one in his own Age had dreamed of. Something the pinnacle of civilization had not known!"

I think the implications of that thought are pretty strong. Ishy was always talking about how many times he's seen such different outcomes of the war against the shadow. Dragon Reborn being a servant of the DO etc. The guy is smart he's just really insane too. My point is the "Pinnacle of civilization" thought. It's interesting that channelers in this age are doing things that no one could do 3000 years ago in a much more advanced civilzation.To me it almost seems like it eludes to the fact that the outcome of TG is going to depend on using some form the power that no one at the "Pinnacle of civilization" dreamed of. Something with Rand sealing the bore maybe I don't really know. Maybe the whole thought is innocuous lol

Discuss.

Guest Dreadlord

Ive been thinking the same thing myself. Maybe Rand will discover a weave that undoes what someone has done without killing them-as in balefire without the fire-or maybe Rand will figure out how to tap into his Ta'veren twists to make things happen? If he does that second one I would wager he would be tapping in to Mat and Perrins Ta'veren power as well, seeing as the three are linked.

Yeah, it could be something like that. It would almost have to have something to do with the power..So I don't know how the Ta'Veren thing could come into play, it could though. Maybe using the Choedan Kal he'll gain some insight into the unexplored reaches of the power or something crazy. Obviously a professional writer will word it much better than that in a book.  ;D

I have always thought that they over-did the 'Balefire is forbidden' thing at the beginning, to say that Rand uses it quite frequently, really. Even four or five times throughout the books I would class as 'frequent' for soemthing that was forbidden and taboo.

so I thought it must just be to make us gasp in awe when Rand wields such a powerful and dangerous weapon but... maybe you're right. Maybe the balefire thing is akin to the taint hoo-hah.

The taint was a major theme running through the books - Rand was going mad, others had gone mad, LTT went mad and so on and so forth UNTIL Rand found a way to dramatically cleanse the taint.

Maybe we're also seeing a theme of balefire - it's dangerous, you have to be very very careful, you can irreparably damage the pattern blah blah ... UNTIL Rand finds a way to get the same effect, without the affect of balefire...

But it's the nature of balefire that makes it so dangerous.  Specifically, the fact that it erases events that have already happened.  It rips threads out of the Pattern, and alters the flow of other threads.  Even without the destruction aspect, erasing even a single work, such as the Bore, would cause a catastrophe.  The Bore fueled ALL of the events in the War of Power and the Third Age.  Without it, all of that has to be rewoven.

Guest Dreadlord

Rand doesnt follow Tower law. Why? Because he isnt part of the White Tower. What he does do though is not allow the Ashaman to learn the weave, so we do see hm acknowledge how dangerous it is, even if he doesnt stop using it himself. And Im glad he still uses it. Its like his finishing move, Mortal Kombat style. When Shao Khans voice declares "Finish him!" Rand raises his hands and weaves balefire.

Archived