DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Need some help with character ideas!

Muirenn

Okay, so I've had my character, Iriana Tenialle, on the shelf for a while now.  The original character idea was a mute girl who has a Dreamwalking Talent and is able to speak when in T'A'R.  Well, someone took the Talent slot before I could get my grimy little hands on it, and it's been tied up ever since (until this most recent purge).  So I've had to do work arounds.  She hasn't been raised yet, because I can't figure out a way for her to swear the Oaths.  No talking = no swearing.  So!  I need help with ideas, and folks to RP them out with!

I had worked out a plan with Arie/Maegan in which both of them would hold the Oath Rod and Maegan would speak for both (after much RP investigation into the issue and lead up). 

Other ideas were to have her do some sort of voice manipulation weave at the same time (alarm and animal sounds can be made with the OP, why not speech?), but I thought that made things too easy on the character, and took away the main plot point of her being unable to communicate verbally. 

And the original idea from way back was to have her swear the Oaths in T'A'R, where they should still be binding when she wakes up.  With sisters there using dream ter'angreal to make sure that she did things properly.

So, comments?  Anyone up to RP, or have other ideas?

Hmm...

Giving my two cents, it would depend on whether or not it is necessary to verbally say the words. Personally, i believe this is not the case, so the only real issue would be a way for the Aes Sedai to confirm that the Oaths she is swearing are indeed the ones she is supposed to.

It all depends on how mute she is, realy. Can she manage a faint whisper, in which case a voice amplification would do the trick? Or is she completely unable to do more than breathe? Sure, it would still sound mumbled and hard to understand (therefore unable to use in conversation) but for the Oaths it would suffice i believe. T'A'R would pose a problem in that she couldn't physically hold the Oath Rod, so that one's out, so the only real alternative is a joint binding where two people hold the Oath Rod at once.

Either way, i'm not the one to okay this, but i just wanted to bring up my two cents on the matter as i've been wondering about this as well.

She has no vocal cords, so anything that actually requires speech is out, and it isn't something that can be Healed. 

I do think that saying the words is a part of it, otherwise she would just have to nod.  In fact a large part of the idea for the RP is for her to pass her test and then be unable to swear the Oaths because the Aes Sedai think that a nod when someone repeats the words would be sufficient.  So she's stuck in a state of limbo while people frantically try to figure out a way for this girl to actually finish becoming Aes Sedai.

We know that ter'angreal work in T'A'R because of Nynaeve leashing Moghedian, and Egwene's encounter with a broken access key to the Choedan Kal.  So all they would have to do is to get the copy of the Oath Rod in T'A'R and use it to bind her. 

It seems odd to me that yes, while she could feasibly speak in Tel'aran'rhiod... how would she have learned?  I don't know the character history at all, so I would surmise that she's at least been training herself there.

And if that's the case (or can be made the case), it seems like it would be feasible for the appropriate people to be able to attend the ceremony in Tel'aran'rhiod, provided that the Tower has enough ter'angreal to go around.  Once again, I don't know this right offhand, but should probably find out! :D

The theory (if I apply for the Dreamwalking Talent and go that route) would be for her to have been trained/currently taking training.  Which, yes, would then be how she would learn that she could speak (since you can imagine yourself any way you want in a dream, and what else would a mute girl be more likely to dream about than being able to talk?).  This would also be the more long term option, because it would require her finding a teacher outside the WT to train her, since we have no active Dreamwalkers.  Most likely are the Wolfkin or Aiel, with an NPC Aes Sedai sent along to babysit.

Which would in turn require either Tigara or Jade to rp coordinate for you (or at least, give les blessings) and find one of those to assist.  *nods*  That seems a reasonable enough idea in all :)

*nods* I think that the best course is to try and do it in TAR, now we have a couple terangreal creators right? Perhaps we could have them create some so that enough Sitters could be there. *ponders* I also think going to train with the Aiel or Wolfkin is a good option as well.

• 3 months later...