DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cadsuane vs Moiraine

a pale tanned lover

Except that the only one we know with the ability to resurrect people is the DO, and Moiraine kinda plays for the wrong team.

Sounding the Horn could also be a form of resurrecting.

I take that the Horn's maker/makers were on the side of the Light; so the Dark Lord would not be the only one who could resurrect.

Also various passages imply the Creator having power over death.

The Horn calls the Heroes from T'A'R into the real world, it is completely unrelated to resurrection. When they appear, they are not actually alive.

The Creator could theoretically have the power to resurrect people, but introducing such a thing at this point...Not going to happen.

Not going to happen?  That would to me be doubtful.

Why have various characters (especially ones that can not lie) imply something if it is not going to be introduced?

It might have been that the Dark Lord was given the ability from the Creator.

And the Creator could probably give it again to whomever.

It could be probable that the Eelfinn and/or Aelfinn have the ability.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why have various characters (especially ones that can not lie) imply something if it is not going to be introduced?

What various characters have implied the Creator taking any sort of role in affairs except the religious ones? And what Aes Sedai have said it? Even if Aes Sedai have said it, they can lie perfectly well about something they believe to be true. That does not lend it credulity.

It might have been that the Dark Lord was given the ability from the Creator.

I believe you're taking too much of a Christian mindset with the Creator/Great Lord dynamic (I could be wrong about that bit, though, so don't hold me to that).

It is unlikely that the Creator created the Great Lord or gave the Great Lord any sort of power. It's certainly possible, but all we know is that the Creator imprisoned the Great Lord at the moment of creation outside of the Pattern. And the extent to which that line is true can be called into question (and has been).

See this lovely post by Luckers on the subject: http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,34389.0.html

What various characters have implied the Creator taking any sort of role in affairs except the religious ones? And what Aes Sedai have said it? Even if Aes Sedai have said it, they can lie perfectly well about something they believe to be true. That does not lend it credulity.

I was still referring to the Creator having power over death.

As for who implied that, Moiraine was one that was Aes Sedia.  When Rand was trying to bring a girl back to life during that battle in the Stone of Tear, Moiraine said "Death cannot be Healed. You are not the Creator."

About the lying part, a flat-out lie is not possible from someone who swore the oath on the Oath Rod.

I thought of another form of resurrecting::  doing balefire on someone/something that killed someone else a short moment ago.

That would not be a direct resurrecting, but it does come close.

I'm not going to argue that he doesn't have control over death. The Great Lord does as well, I don't see why the Creator wouldn't except looking deeper at the Creator's supposed existence anyway.

About the lying part, a flat-out lie is not possible from someone who swore the oath on the Oath Rod.

Yes it is. If the person who is saying the lie believes it is true. Moiraine believes the Creator is the only one who can bring people back from the dead, so she says that only the Creator has that power.

I thought of another form of resurrecting::  doing balefire on someone/something that killed someone else a short moment ago.

That would not be a direct resurrecting, but it does come close.

Ya, I've always wondered on the mechanics of that stuff. The actual process of soul leaving body, coming back to body, where the Great Lord comes into play, etc.

Yes it is. If the person who is saying the lie believes it is true. Moiraine believes the Creator is the only one who can bring people back from the dead, so she says that only the Creator has that power.

By "flat-out lie" I meant something the speaker knows is false, not something the speaker believes true.

By the example, we can not be certain that Moiraine believed that the Creator was/is the only one able to do it.  And the statement does not tell that the Creator is the only one.

Gentling or stilling couldn't be healed either!! oh but they did  ;)

That was another point I would have made if I thought of it.

I'm not going to argue that he doesn't have control over death. The Great Lord does as well, I don't see why the Creator wouldn't except looking deeper at the Creator's supposed existence anyway.

I've always thought that the Creator, well creates, he set everything up and then left everyone too it. The DO is the Lord of the Grave so as again in the name thats his bag, although ive always thought(this is just my theory) that he can only get recent souls passing through and doesn't have an endless pit of souls to use.

As for who implied that, Moiraine was one that was Aes Sedia.  When Rand was trying to bring a girl back to life during that battle in the Stone of Tear, Moiraine said "Death cannot be Healed. You are not the Creator."

Like i mentioned before stilling or gentling couldn't be done either, a belief is a belief and just because something has never been done before doesn't mean it can't be done.

Like i mentioned before stilling or gentling couldn't be done either, a belief is a belief and just because something has never been done before doesn't mean it can't be done.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  My purpose for the quote was to show what was implied (ie that the Creator had power over death).

And like I replied earlier, the gentling/stilling was another point I would have made if I thought of it.

Archived